Jeynerk System addon in progress with pictures and info!

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
kikinho
With us: 20 years

Jeynerk System addon in progress with pictures and info!

Post #1by kikinho » 11.03.2007, 03:43

I've talked about Gondnawlia with subsurface ocean before. The project is back again. Now the subocean is made of liquid ammonia. There's also one more moon that also has subocean of ammonia called Dartica. The icy crust of Gondnawlia, Dartica are made of methane/etane ice with some ammonia and other icy crust worlds are made of ammonia ice mixed with organics.

But now there are many planets done.

The inner part of the system have sulphur rich atmospheres and also have many active volcanoes. The hottest planets have lavae exposed over the surface in form of oceans and rivers.

Between the inner and middle systems, there's a planet called Grynda. It's a Venus-like, but it's colder, smaller, and the air instead of sulphur is ammonia and methane rich.

In the middle part of the system there are some worlds with oceans of ammonia mixed with low concentrations of metals and organics that give these oceans a deep blue color. The atmosphere of these worlds are rich in nitrogen and methane with no oxigen. There are also worlds in which have one big organism that cover the entire surface.

There are also many Titan-like worlds, but their surfaces are rocky instead of icy and have oceans or lakes of ethane.

There's a planet called Umbral, it's the biggest rocky planet with high gravity, and have a very big ocean of ammonia that cover the entire middle of the planet. Although it's far from the central star, the surface is hot, due to the greenhouse effect. The surface is dark and green due to the very thick air, much more thick than the air of Venus, and the boiling point of ammonia here is the critical temperature of ammonia.

Until now there's only one gas giant, the planet Jaymarin.

Most planets in this system have reduced atmospheres. And all planets are made of mostly carbon and nitrogen originated from a carbon rich and oxigen poor dust ring that surrounded the star billions of years ago, when the planets were still forming. The overall system is also rich in metals, because the metalicity of the star is much higher than the our Sun.

The Jeynerk star lies in a region of our galaxy that is poorer in oxygen than the region that our Sun is. Because oxygen would destroy most of the ammonia content and ammonia-based life.

I still don't know if the Jeynerk system will be binary or not.

Most textures are 8192x4096 in dds format. And the addon will require the most recent version of Celestia, mainly because it has the new atmosphere code and other configurations, and a good PC configuration, because of the big textures. I'm thinking of making a light version of the system that instead of 8192x4096 will have 2048x1024 textures for slower computers.

I'm also thinking of dividing the addon in many files, because the Jeynerk addon is very big, much more than 300 MB.

And i'll post pictures of this addon soon.
Last edited by kikinho on 11.03.2007, 13:05, edited 3 times in total.
One day we will swim in the subsurface ocean of Europa and take shower in ethane lakes of Titan.

Topic author
kikinho

Post #2by kikinho » 11.03.2007, 13:03

The Images of Jeynerk System Addon:

WARNING: The size of images are big and planets here are shown without clouds!

To See the images you must click the links.

The Jeynerk Star is C0V, have radius of 0.50 Rsun and is 7 billion years old.

Ervyndyll:

Hagen:

Sigyll:

Kuro:

Werner:

Tanathya:

Diakonov:

Straupzig:

Narshad:

Umbral:

Krauptzig:

Bramia-Incan:

Havshall-Varshag:

Wallenrod:

Dartica:

Gondnawlia:

Nirdrya and Broskya:

Wernerminion organic spaceship is interesting because it's a spaceship that have atmosphere on it's surface and lakes of mixed ammonia/organics/metals. The spaceship is 600km radius:

I'll add more pictures soon.

Any commentary or questions about my addon?
Last edited by kikinho on 12.03.2007, 22:00, edited 2 times in total.
One day we will swim in the subsurface ocean of Europa and take shower in ethane lakes of Titan.

Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #3by Dollan » 11.03.2007, 15:20

Can post some examples of the new atmosphere declarations that you've used? It looks like you've had a lot more success experimenting with them than I have, looking at some of the different colors.
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

FaLLeN_SOuL
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #4by FaLLeN_SOuL » 11.03.2007, 15:22

beautiful pictures!

Topic author
kikinho

Post #5by kikinho » 11.03.2007, 22:40

Yes, I'll post the codes of some of my planets.

Ervyndyll:

Atmosphere {
Height 8
Mie 0.001
MieAsymmetry -0.5
Rayleigh [ 0.036 0.024 0.012 ]
Absorption [ 0 0.02 0.04 ]
MieScaleHeight 8
CloudHeight 6
CloudSpeed 200
CloudMap "Sulphur-clouds.*"
}

Kuro:

Atmosphere {
Height 12
Mie 0.003
MieAsymmetry -0.3
Rayleigh [ 0.006 0.012 0.024 ]
Absorption [ 0.030 0 0.015 ]
MieScaleHeight 12
CloudHeight 6
CloudSpeed 100
CloudMap "Ammonia1-clouds.*"
}

Narshad:

Atmosphere {
Height 16
Mie 0.003
MieAsymmetry -0.3
Rayleigh [ 0.012 0.024 0.036 ]
Absorption [ 0.030 0 0.015 ]
MieScaleHeight 16
CloudHeight 8
CloudSpeed 100
CloudMap "Ammonia3-clouds.*"
}

Umbral:

Atmosphere {
Height 24
Mie 0.006
MieAsymmetry -0.3
Rayleigh [ 0.005 0.010 0.020 ]
Absorption [ 0.012 0 0.008 ]
MieScaleHeight 24
CloudHeight 36
CloudSpeed 1000
CloudMap "Venuslike.*"
}

Havshall:

Atmosphere {
Height 30
Mie 0.01
MieAsymmetry -0.25
Rayleigh [ 0 0 0.003 ]
Absorption [ 0 0.01 0.03 ]
MieScaleHeight 30
CloudHeight 30
CloudSpeed 100
CloudMap "Havshall-clouds.*"
}

Dartica:

Atmosphere {
Height 36
Mie 0.003
MieAsymmetry -0.25
Rayleigh [ 0 0 0.002 ]
Absorption [ 0.002 0 0 ]
MieScaleHeight 36
}

One question: Planets with 50% of Earth's gravity can hold thick atmospheres? Venus has less gravity than Earth, is very hot and hold an atmosphere 90x Earth's air pressure. But I don't know if a 50% Earth's gravity, hotter, with about 4300km radius planet can hold thicker air than on our planet.

Another question: Some planets in Jeynerk system have oceans of ammonia and thick atmospheres ( about 6x Earth's pressure ) of more or less: 80% Nitrogen, 17% methane, 2% ammonia gas and 1% other gases.
What I want to know is: These planets have strong greenhouse effect?

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #6by ajtribick » 11.03.2007, 23:58

Have you heard about thumbnails? You make small versions of the image and use them to link to a larger version. This means people don't have to download HUGE IMAGES every time they view the thread. Not everyone is on broadband you know!

Topic author
kikinho

Post #7by kikinho » 12.03.2007, 03:35

I modifyed the images post. Now you have to click the links to see the images. I did this to the page load faster.
But i still need someone to answer the 2 questions I did in a post above, because i want to make this addon more "realistic" as possible.

Johaen
With us: 18 years 8 months

Post #8by Johaen » 12.03.2007, 04:08

<--- misses all the pretty pictures all in a row.

I guess you can't please everyone. :wink:
AMD Athlon X2 4400+; 2GB OCZ Platinum RAM; 320GB SATA HDD; NVidia EVGA GeForce 7900GT KO, PCI-e, 512MB, ForceWare ver. 163.71; Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Gaming Soundcard; Abit AN8 32X motherboard; 600 watt Kingwin Mach1 PSU; Windows XP Media Center SP2;

Spaceman Spiff
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #9by Spaceman Spiff » 12.03.2007, 10:52

Hi Kikinho,

I hope you can find the time to turn the large images into thumbnails before you submit more! I think some graphics packages allow you to select a set of images and automatically generate thumbnails of a specified size of each for them. That'll let you compromise between download times and the lovely "all the pretty pictures all in a row" effect :) .

I think your best three textures are #1 Narshad, #2 Diakonov, and #3 Hagen. Ones like Wernerminion are good too, but then I find ones like Dartica look too homogenous. Still, those first three are excellent!

I'm puzzled by the star being C0V. I thought C was used only for giant stars (luminosity class I, II, or III) with glowing carbon soot in their atmospheres. Your star looks like an M0V to me.

Kikinho wrote:One question: Planets with 50% of Earth's gravity can hold thick atmospheres? Venus has less gravity than Earth, is very hot and hold an atmosphere 90x Earth's air pressure. But I don't know if a 50% Earth's gravity, hotter, with about 4300km radius planet can hold thicker air than on our planet.

Yes, easily, if it's not too hot or the gas is not too light like hydrogen or helium. Think of Titan: its surface gravity is one seventh of Earth's, and the pressure is 1.5 times Earth's.

Kikinho wrote:Another question: Some planets in Jeynerk system have oceans of ammonia and thick atmospheres ( about 6x Earth's pressure ) of more or less: 80% Nitrogen, 17% methane, 2% ammonia gas and 1% other gases.
What I want to know is: These planets have strong greenhouse effect?

Methane and ammonia are strong 'greenhouse effect' gases. Nitrogen is hardly a greenhouse gas. The mix of methane and nitrogen is similar to - again - Titan. That should give a clue.

Spiff.

Topic author
kikinho

Post #10by kikinho » 12.03.2007, 15:02

I've read some articles that there are some C dwarf stars. And this star lies in a region of our galaxy that is rich in carbon and nitrogen and poor in oxygen, so a dwarf carbon-rich star. Although it's rich in carbon, the fusion process is still using hydrogen. The star total lifetime is estimated to be more or less 100 billion years. The star age is 12 billion years.

About the thumbnails, I'll do these soon, and soon I'll post more pictures.

Spaceman Spiff

Post #12by Spaceman Spiff » 12.03.2007, 16:39

Hey, you're right! I learn something new every day...

If one trusts the Wiki on Stellar classification ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectral_class , see section 4.3.1), then a "few dwarf (that is, main sequence) carbon stars are known, but the overwhelming majority of known carbon stars are giants or supergiants."

OK, so I was mostly right :wink: .

Spiff.

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #13by ajtribick » 12.03.2007, 16:57

Apparently the dwarf carbon stars are the result of being in mass-transfer binaries: they acquired their carbon content from accreting material from an originally more massive companion going through their red giant phase.

See this paper.

Topic author
kikinho

Post #14by kikinho » 12.03.2007, 18:13

Thanks for the images, they are cool.
Yes, many billions of years ago, when there weren't any planets yet, there was a near giant star passing through Jeynerk Star. Jeynerk already had a dense gas dust disk with much carbon, but it acquired much more carbon from the other star, not only carbon, but also other elements, such as silicon, nitrogen and many comets and asteroids from the bigger star. Later the bigger star disappeared.

Topic author
kikinho

Post #15by kikinho » 12.03.2007, 22:01

Now the pictures have thumbnails!

Topic author
kikinho

Post #16by kikinho » 13.03.2007, 01:23

What do you think about a planet that have the entire surface covered by a big organism, and that this global organism create many animals and vegetables?

There's a game called Unreal 2 that have a planet called Acheron, that is similar to my Kuro and Werner organism worlds.

Topic author
kikinho

Post #17by kikinho » 15.03.2007, 00:52

I'm in doubt if I'll create big or small rocky planets. It's because that systems that have huge terrestrial worlds maybe normally have few planets, but mine have more than 20 planets, so I'm thinking of creating the majority terrestrial worlds smaller than Earth.

bh
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #18by bh » 15.03.2007, 07:58

[quote="kikinho"]What do you think about a planet that have the entire surface covered by a big organism, and that this global organism create many animals and vegetables?

No sprouts please!
regards...bh.

Tuefish
With us: 17 years 7 months
Location: Just a little to the left of the middle of nowhere, Southern California, USA

Post #19by Tuefish » 17.03.2007, 03:39

Awsome pictures!
I look foreward to exploring your system,
Also, Global organisms should (IMHO) look very cool. :D
"Over Seventy earths spinnin' round in the galaxy, and the meek have inherited not a one."
-Malcolm Reynolds

Spaceman Spiff

Post #20by Spaceman Spiff » 17.03.2007, 09:22

At 01:23 GMT on Tue the 13 Mar 2007 kikinho: wrote:What do you think about a planet that have the entire surface covered by a big organism, and that this global organism create many animals and vegetables?

Have you read the short story "Vaster Than Empires, And More Slow" in "The Wind's Twelve Quarters" By Ursula K. Le Guin? The planet concerned had only tree-like vegetation covering its several continents. I won't reveal the surprise, but it seemed feasible to me.

Spiff.

Return to “Add-on development”