And now for something completely different...

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
rthorvald
With us: 20 years 8 months

Re: And now for something completely different...

Post #61by rthorvald » 25.05.2008, 15:14

So, judging from these pretty different pics, it seems it is just a transparent tube with wings...
If the book is not much more detailed than that, i can go with this.

But what of the floating buildings? Anybody remember them?

- rthorvald

Guckytos
With us: 20 years

Post #62by Guckytos » 25.05.2008, 17:45

rthorvald wrote:So, judging from these pretty different pics, it seems it is just a transparent tube with wings...
If the book is not much more detailed than that, i can go with this.

But what of the floating buildings? Anybody remember them?

- rthorvald

I have the books also here somewhere, I think. But of course in german :wink:
But I will take a look and give you a translated description, if not somebody beats me to it. I think it was described a bit better, but don't forget that the wing got shot down as they crossed the plane of the ringworld and where on a crash course with it.

Yep, some floating buildings I remember. There were not so many in the first novel; a lot more were in the "Ringworld Engineers", a whole city of them even.

Do you need a detailed description? Or is it a general question? If I remember correctly there are various shapes of those things. More or less the are all flying skyscrapers or big buildings. But I can't remember a special form at the moment.

Most houses crashed when the Puppetiers nasty bug destroyed the superconducting cables, taking the elite of the ringworld civilization with them.

Regards,

Guckytos

Topic author
rthorvald

Post #63by rthorvald » 25.05.2008, 19:23

but don't forget that the wing got shot down as they crossed the plane of the ringworld and where on a crash course with it.
That is a nice detail to add. I even found some dates on the net for when this happened.

If I remember correctly there are various shapes of those things. More or less the are all flying skyscrapers or big buildings. But I can't remember a special form at the moment.

I can?t make too much detail, that would make the scenario too big - but a general description to work from would be appreciated! I.e., are the houses working, or are they ruins? Or both?

- rthorvald

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 6 months

Post #64by Chuft-Captain » 26.05.2008, 00:12

rthorvald wrote:...The Lying Bastard, yes, that is the one.
If i can get the description, it would be very nice!
Actually, all 4 seem to be transparent in those images (the GP hull itself was the only transparent (and indestructible) part.

I do think you'd be better to start from scratch with your own interpretation, than to base it on other peoples images.

The book actually describes it in some detail (about 4-5 pages) which is why I don't want to type it ALL in.

I'll summarize the essential points for you though:

"The GP#2 hull was a wasp waisted cylinder, narrow and needle-tapered at both ends. Ordinarily, it was just roomy enough for one pilot."

"..transparent to visible light. To all other forms of electromagnetic energy, and to matter of any form, it was impervious."

"20 ft wide and 300 long, tapering to points fore and aft."

"... only the life-support system and the hyperdrive shunt were within the hull"

"Everything else.... a pair of flat thruster units aimed downward, two small fusion motors facing forward, larger fusion motors on the wings trailing edges, and a pair of tremendous pods on the wingtips---pods which must contain detection and comms equipment...all this was on the great delta wing."

"Half the ship was on the wing, exposed to any danger that could worry a puppeteer"

"Through the glass-like hull Louis could see a conduit as thick as his thigh, leading through the hull into the wing section......An ordinary ship requires many breaks in it's hull: for sensors which do not use visible light, for reaction motors if such are used, for apertures leading to fuel tanks. Here we have only 2 breaks, the conduit, and the airlock.... Both can be closed off."

Most of the ship was outside the hull itself, on the thin oversized wing.

Life-System:
3 x living/bedrooms, 1x long narrow lounge, control cabin, bank of lockers, kitchen, autodocs, recalimers, batteries etc.
Control room fitted out in Kzinti fashion with Kzinti labelling.
4 x flycycles, 4 x flying backpacks, etc...
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

Chuft-Captain

Post #65by Chuft-Captain » 26.05.2008, 00:27

Dream Castle
It was a 10-story castle floating a thousand feet high, and it was all lit up like the instrument board on some ancient rocket ship
There was a city beneath the castle. It showed no lights.
There were windows all over the underside, and the underside was all angles.
There was no way to land the castle
Concrete and metal, assymmetrically designed...
They found a couple of hundred feet of spiral escalator hanging like a bedspring from the lowermost tip of the castle. It's bottom ended in open air. Some force had twisted it away, leaving sheared beams and broken treads. It's top was a locked door.

The City
The city was all the colors of gray. Most of the buildings were tall, but a bare handful were tall enough to dwarf the rest; taller, a few of them than the bottom of this floating castle. There had been other floating buildings. Louis could see the scars, broad gaps in the cityscape where thousands of tons of masonry had smashed down....
Last edited by Chuft-Captain on 26.05.2008, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"

Topic author
rthorvald

Post #66by rthorvald » 26.05.2008, 00:35

Many thanks, Chuft-Captain. This is very useful!

- rthorvald

Chuft-Captain

Post #67by Chuft-Captain » 26.05.2008, 00:39

You're welcome.... you should refresh the thread as I was editing the last post as you were reading it.

I would suggest that modeling "The Liar" would be a good job for the Linuxman... but I suspect his version would be too high in polys for your needs!!! :lol: (and I'm not so sure he's interested in fictional craft)

Topic author
rthorvald

Post #68by rthorvald » 26.05.2008, 01:00

Chuft-Captain wrote:I would suggest that modeling "The Liar" would be a good job for the Linuxman... but I suspect his version would be too high in polys for your needs!!!

:-D That level of detail is beyond this project... !

- rthorvald

Guckytos
With us: 20 years

Post #69by Guckytos » 26.05.2008, 17:44

There is another city at the edge of the big ocean.

This city has

...endles rows of beehive like houses ...

...beyond silhouettes of skyscrapers and flying tall buildings...

...at least a dozen flying houses with brightly lit windows ... grouped together

They are then captured by the police building, that looks like:
a double cone with only the upper half lit
better definition: like a bit pegtop? (or better gyro): upon a sharp cone sits a wider, stocky upper deck

The lower part is at least a 100 feet (30 meters) high but I don't find more details at the moment, have to reread the novel again.

Regards,

Guckytos

zhar2
With us: 16 years 3 months

Post #70by zhar2 » 26.05.2008, 17:59

great stuff, i cant wait for my holydays to do stuff of the sort.

Topic author
rthorvald

Post #71by rthorvald » 06.06.2008, 10:43

Well, i started out with 360 segments, one per degree of ring. While it looked great, it became too large to be practical:
- 360 segments ringfloor/walls
- 360 segments of landscape textures
- 360 segments of cloud textures
- 1480 segments of oblate atmosphere objects hidden inside the floor

... My computer turned to syrup. It is much too inefficient. Besides, the ringwalls became too high to look realistic,
to have room for the atmosphere objects. I have developed a new approach: first off, reduced the ring to 180 segments
= 2 degrees per tile. It does not look as smooth that way, but it helps on memory a *lot*. After that, i outputted ten tiles
per model, so both the cloudmaps, landscapes and floors are only 20 segments each. Instead of using the atmosphere
tiles, i made a 2 pixel wide cloudmap for the central star itself that touches the ring: close up, it looks exactly like a
proper atmosphere - the only thing missing is the changing colors at sunset and sundown.

The biggest challenge is the night! How to envelope a tile in night when nothing cast shadows on a non-spherical
model? I have solved it somewhat, by using multiple layers of semi-transparent polygons stacked on top of each other.

Here is some screenshots...

The Fist-Of-God mountain close to the Great Ocean, with night approaching:

Shadow squares:

Shadow squares seen from the ring:

Another view of the Great Ocean:

- rthorvald

Chuft-Captain

Post #72by Chuft-Captain » 06.06.2008, 14:03

This is looking good Runar.
rthorvald wrote:The biggest challenge is the night! How to envelope a tile in night when nothing cast shadows on a non-spherical
model? I have solved it somewhat, by using multiple layers of semi-transparent polygons stacked on top of each other.
That sounds very much like the same technique I've used to "fake" shadow in my O'Neill's.

Just one criticism... From memory, the "Fist of God" was only 1000miles high. If the RW is ~ 1,000,000 miles wide then the mountains height would only be 1 thousandth of the width. Your version looks several orders of magnitude larger than that.

Topic author
rthorvald

Post #73by rthorvald » 06.06.2008, 14:22

Chuft-Captain wrote:From memory, the "Fist of God" was only 1000miles high. If the RW is ~ 1,000,000 miles wide then the mountains height would only be 1 thousandth of the width. Your version looks several orders of magnitude larger than that.

Ok, i didn?t know that. Haven?t read the book since the eighties. . I only remembered that it poked up out of the atmosphere. Easy to fix, thanks.

- rthorvald

Chuft-Captain

Post #74by Chuft-Captain » 06.06.2008, 14:50

A few more details you may find useful...

30 hours = 1 Ringworld day
    1 turn (A Ringworld rotation) = 7 1/2 days
    1 falan = 10 turns = 75 days
    Radius = 0.95 x 10E8 miles
    Circumference = 5.97 x 10E8 miles
    Width = 997,000 miles
    Surface gravity = 0.992 G
    Star : G3 verging on G2, barely smaller and cooler than Sol

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #75by ajtribick » 06.06.2008, 15:31

Those numbers suggest the Ringworld surface ought to be quite hot: unlike a planet which emits over ~4 times the area it absorbs over, the factor is only ~2 for the Ringworld (I can't remember if the scrith is supposed to conduct heat: if it doesn't, no heat is radiated from the back of the Ringworld and the factor drops to ~1), which implies the temperature (for a solar luminosity star) would be an uncomfortably hot 60 degrees C (or 120 degrees C for non-thermally-conducting scrith)...

Topic author
rthorvald

Post #76by rthorvald » 12.10.2008, 20:50

I am undecided on what lenghts to go to re surface detail - but this screenshot should help visualize the size of the Ringworld... Which is almost impossible to really grasp. In fact, the more i go into this, the clearer it becomes that even though the concept of a ringworld is fascinating, it is also utterly ridiculous: anyone with the resources to build something like it would certainly have better solutions for living space than a solid ring with dirt on it!

-rthorvald :-D

Johaen
With us: 18 years 5 months

Post #77by Johaen » 12.10.2008, 21:16

So at first I was like, hey, it's a big volcano, that's kinda neat. And then I scrolled down. Holy crap. 8O
AMD Athlon X2 4400+; 2GB OCZ Platinum RAM; 320GB SATA HDD; NVidia EVGA GeForce 7900GT KO, PCI-e, 512MB, ForceWare ver. 163.71; Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Gaming Soundcard; Abit AN8 32X motherboard; 600 watt Kingwin Mach1 PSU; Windows XP Media Center SP2;

MKruer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #78by MKruer » 13.10.2008, 06:48

rthorvald wrote:I am undecided on what lenghts to go to re surface detail - but this screenshot should help visualize the size of the Ringworld... Which is almost impossible to really grasp. In fact, the more i go into this, the clearer it becomes that even though the concept of a ringworld is fascinating, it is also utterly ridiculous: anyone with the resources to build something like it would certainly have better solutions for living space than a solid ring with dirt on it!
-rthorvald :-D

That last line made me laugh!
I have never read the book ring world but i have read enough on ring world theory and the atmosphere to question the need for a 1000 mile high rim. I think that a more reasonable rim would be closer to 50-100km. Also the cross section of the structure should have a slight concave shape with the higher altitudes going to the edges.

* 50% of the atmosphere by mass is below an altitude of 5.6 km.
* 90% of the atmosphere by mass is below an altitude of 16 km. The common altitude of commercial airliners is about 10 km.
* 99.99997% of the atmosphere by mass is below 100 km. The highest X-15 plane flight in 1963 reached an altitude of 354,300 ft (108.0 km).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_atmosphere

Maybe they are so advanced that these things are pay things to them and they like tossing them around like horseshoes :twisted:

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #79by John Van Vliet » 13.10.2008, 18:14

--- edit ---
Last edited by John Van Vliet on 25.10.2013, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
rthorvald

Post #80by rthorvald » 13.10.2008, 18:58

Overview of The Great Oval Ocean:

... The hardest thing by far is to simulate night. The shadowsquares don?t cast shadows, and neither can i get anything else to do it, so the only option is faking it completely - by overlaying the ground with black polygons. But if i want the day/night cycle to work, that is almost impossible... As the Ringworld is not smooth enough to make the black polygons hover at the exact same distance above ground everywhere - the distance will vary, making light move about in the night zones as the shadowsquares orbit the star. I could make the Ringworld curve smooth enough, but that would demand much higher resolution - quadruple the poly count at least. Which i do not like.

So, for now, i get good lightning from some angles only, and a real mess from others. I am still experimenting.

Nightfall over the Great Ocean:

Dawn at the Fist of God Mountain:

- rthorvald

Return to “Add-on development”