New accretion disk method (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #61by Cham » 13.02.2008, 23:45

Oh, and activate the comet orbits, to see a nice correlation with the Oort cloud.

-M
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #62by ANDREA » 14.02.2008, 00:15

Cham wrote:Andrea, I already have a nice working Oort spherical shell, at a proper distance. The result is satisfying, despite the luminosity problem with scale.... I like the result pretty much.

Me too, wow!!!
Give a look:

Wonderful.
My next step will be adding comets and comet orbits, as you suggested. :wink:
Thanks a lot.
Bye

Andrea :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 6 months

Post #63by Fenerit » 21.02.2008, 12:40

Due to my temporary broken communications, here is said about the Asteroid Main Belt and the Lua Tool in a way that I've found a tad disconnected with respect to the thread's subject. Do someone tell me with courtesy where I can find these add-ons and for which version of Celestia are?
Never at rest.
Massimo

Hungry4info
With us: 19 years

Post #64by Hungry4info » 21.02.2008, 14:24

What are the chances this can be done with sprites? Kind of like how galaxies are done. I once put a small, 200-AU wide galaxy in Celestia, centred on Epsilon Eridani to simulate it's debris disk, but of course, this method drops the frame rate a bit.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #65by fsgregs » 21.02.2008, 23:32

I already have a nice working Oort spherical shell, at a proper distance. The result is satisfying, despite the luminosity problem with scale

Martin, my classes are about to begin our study of the outer solar system. We are still using Celestia-ED (at the moment). Will your new Oort cloud shell work with 1.4.1? If so, could you also send me an email copy of it? My email address is:

fsgregs@comcast.net

Thanks

Frank

Kreso
With us: 16 years 3 months

Re: New accretion disk method (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Post #66by Kreso » 08.06.2008, 16:07

This is great... Any new progress on this method? Is there any solution to the luminosity-distance problem? Where can I download more test files?

Topic author
Cham M

Post #67by Cham » 23.02.2009, 03:16

The sprites method are apparently working on my machine (and yet I don't understand why !). So, following some cosmological models I'm working on, I made this ring with sprites today:

Archive.zip

You can change the color and transparency by editing the material header (ASCII CMOD file).
Last edited by Cham on 23.02.2009, 18:15, edited 2 times in total.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #68by ElChristou » 23.02.2009, 10:04

Cham wrote:The sprites method are apparently working on my machine (and yet I don't understand why !). So, following some cosmological models I'm working on, I made this ring today, merged with some old 3ds model I made a long time ago :
anneau.jpg

Here's the model with sprites, as a toy :wink:
Archive.zip

You can change the color and transparency by editing the material header (ASCII CMOD file).

No 3DS model in the archive, just the sprites... :?

ElChristou
Developer

Post #69by ElChristou » 23.02.2009, 10:09

I wonder about a mix of the 3 technics; 3DS, Sprites, AND just points as we toyed with some long time ago. 2 or 3 rings of points with several rotation speeds and color degrade... all well transparencies well tuned for a nice mix...

Topic author
Cham M

Post #70by Cham » 23.02.2009, 13:36

The ASCII CMOD file is small enough to be used in multiple declarations in the SSC file, to simulate a differential rotation effect, and to change the colors and transparency.

I'll build more rings like this one, with different shapes. Maybe it should be flatter.

Topic author
Cham M

Post #71by Cham » 23.02.2009, 18:16

Cham wrote:The sprites method are apparently working on my machine (and yet I don't understand why !). So, following some cosmological models I'm working on, I made this ring with sprites today:

Archive.zip

I tested the ring with sprites on a crappy old eMac at work today, and the results are great ! Actually, this is surprising me.

Please guys, I would appreciate some comments about the result on your system, with a picture, so I can see if the model is behaving correctly on many different systems. Please, tell also which video card you have (ATI or NVidia) and which OS (Windows, OS X, etc).

This way, I may build more sprites based models, or else I wont lose my time with this.

ElChristou
Developer

Post #72by ElChristou » 23.02.2009, 18:22

Cham, the problem is that stuff is still not OK because the points or sprites no not fade with distance...

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #73by selden » 23.02.2009, 18:23

Cham,

It would help a lot if you could provide a complete Addon to be compared.
Your Archive.zip contains only a cmod model and its associated texture.
Selden

Topic author
Cham M

Post #74by Cham » 23.02.2009, 18:25

ElChristou wrote:Cham, the problem is that stuff is still not OK because the points or sprites no not fade with distance...

?? It is fading, on my home Mac, and on the crappy eMac at work.

However, there's a kind of "residual" object at very large distance, which isn't really annoying.

I agree that the sprites behavior could be better, though. Chris ?

Topic author
Cham M

Post #75by Cham » 23.02.2009, 18:28

selden wrote:Cham,

It would help a lot if you could provide a complete Addon to be compared.
Your Archive.zip contains only a cmod model and its associated texture.

Ok, here's the ring used around our Sun (just as a test) :
Sprites_test.zip

EDIT : And the sprites may even be used as special markers, or even billboards floating always face-on in space. Sadly, the sprite size appears to be limited (can't be bigger than on this picture).
billboard.jpg

Chris, we need more features on sprites. I'm sure the sprite code could be polished.

Topic author
Cham M

Post #76by Cham » 23.02.2009, 19:02

I'm having some very nice results with colors variations, using the previous file :
colors.jpg

In this case, there are only two superposed rings : the previous one, and a second version with a different color and transparency. The disk's thickness can be changed, using the SSC command SemiAxes [ 1 0.2 1 ], for example.
Last edited by Cham on 23.02.2009, 19:57, edited 2 times in total.

ElChristou
Developer

Post #77by ElChristou » 23.02.2009, 19:05

Cham wrote:...However, there's a kind of "residual" object at very large distance, which isn't really annoying.

You really think so? This crap at long distance should not be visible!!

Your ring is ok on my config, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 512 on osX:
AA.jpg

Topic author
Cham M

Post #78by Cham » 23.02.2009, 19:09

ElChristou wrote:You really think so? This crap at long distance should not be visible!!
[/attachment]

Well, I agree.

Chris, what is this sprite residual object at a distance ?

Once polished, this sprites technique would give us **a lot** of modeling opportunities. This thing MUST be polished before 1.6.0 is out !

Topic author
Cham M

Post #79by Cham » 24.02.2009, 15:03

I made a two colors "generic" dust ring for all the stars which are known to possess a dust ring/disk (at least 22 stars). In combination with a ring of dots (no sprites), and/or with a planar 3ds mesh with a texture, it gives some very pretty views in Celestia. Here are some examples :
ring1.jpg

ring2.jpg

ring3.jpg

Topic author
Cham M

Post #80by Cham » 24.02.2009, 15:04

Two more views (max of 3 pictures per message allowed) :
ring4.jpg

ring5.jpg

EDIT : I'll most probably create a new black hole based on accretion disks and jets with sprites. This is a project for the near future...

Return to “Add-on development”