Bugs in educational activities

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Smacklug
With us: 18 years 10 months

Post #21by Smacklug » 18.11.2005, 04:29

Oh no, I think my attempt to download Activity 9 crashed your site...

I really hope it gets on the motherlode soon, I really want to see it!

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #22by fsgregs » 18.11.2005, 20:07

Motherlode is editing the final links for all updated Activities. I expect them to be active on that site within the next two days ( :)

When they go active, I will make an announcement on the forum.

Regards,

Frank

Smacklug

Post #23by Smacklug » 19.11.2005, 01:17

I can barely wait! Thanks greg!

Jeam Tag M
With us: 21 years 5 months

Post #24by Jeam Tag » 19.11.2005, 08:58

fsgregs wrote:Motherlode is editing the final links for all updated Activities. I expect them to be active on that site within the next two days ( :) Frank
Hello Frank. Is there any chance that you provide non-DDS versions of the Activities? (the long-awaited Activity #9 for example?) I Can't read DDS pictures with my poor graphic card :-( [example: you provide Hires and Medres version: the first one might be a DDS version and the second a PNG one?] Jeam, admiring of these activities superb and very useful:
Congratulations for the great revisions of your work, if i find some time to explore all, i'll edit specific pages with picts for the Activities on my little catalog instead of a single quote in the 'Programmes' pages!
Catalogue des ajouts /Catalog for the Add-Ons in French
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

fsgregs

Post #25by fsgregs » 19.11.2005, 13:48

Dear Jeam:

Sorry that I forgot some folks cannot see DDS textures. The good news is that ... YES :D - I can provide all jpg and png textures only for the medium version of Activity 9. Fortunately, Jestr anticipated the need for it and provided me the activity in jpg format as well. I've been able to save Don's textures in jpg format as well.

Give me a few days to add it to the Activity 9 download. I will merge the jpg files with the existing dds files.

Before I do, I need to confirm something. It is my understanding that if both a DDS texture and a JPG texture with the same name are in the medres folder, Celestia will load the DDS texture (if your system can read it). Is that correct? If your system cannot read it, Celestia will load the JPG texture instead. Is that correct?

Please advise!

Frank

Jeam Tag M
With us: 21 years 5 months

Post #26by Jeam Tag » 19.11.2005, 17:58

fsgregs wrote:Dear Jeam:
Sorry that I forgot some folks cannot see DDS textures. The good news is that ... YES :D - I can provide all jpg and png textures only for the medium version of Activity 9.
Before I do, I need to confirm something. It is my understanding that if both a DDS texture and a JPG texture with the same name are in the medres folder, Celestia will load the DDS texture (if your system can read it). Is that correct? If your system cannot read it, Celestia will load the JPG texture instead. Is that correct?
Frank
Well, thanks a lot Frank, good news. I will wait for this great addon, don't worry! (if i compare the oldest versions and the news picts Don, Jestr or you provided, what a giant release!). There are also many DDS in the activities that have NOT a jpg or png equivalent, even in the basic package i can see cloudvt, earth-clouds, quaoar, October etc. for example...
But yes, for 2 textures with the same name, you're right, the system chooses the texture he can read: example in your package I have an 'earth-clouds.dds' and the Celestia basic 'earth-clouds.png' in the textures/medres folder, so my engine is drawing the (poor) second one.
Jeam.
Catalogue des ajouts /Catalog for the Add-Ons in French
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Smacklug

Post #27by Smacklug » 20.11.2005, 19:26

Yay, the motherlode page has been updated!

FAKE EDIT: Oh no, I'm getting a 404 error on activity 9! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

FAKE EDIT 2: It seems as if the others work, though. :?

Oh, I really hope Activity 9 is fixed soon, my head is about to explode! 8O

Smacklug

Post #28by Smacklug » 20.11.2005, 20:59

Hey wait, the Celestia ED version I downloaded from your website just uses the .exe from FT1.2!

I think that is wrong, and they don't provide any links to the CelestiaED.exe thing on the motherlode page. :?

Please advise, I don't want to mess anything in FT1.2 up.

EDIT: Well, windows version is up, bt the .exe lies, it doesn't create a folder called Celestia ED, it makes one called "Celestia 1.4Prere" and does some stuff with FT1.2! You really will have to clarify this for me, because I know FT1.2 won't work with at least activitie 10.

scaddenp
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #29by scaddenp » 21.11.2005, 03:02

Could really do with some better mirrors for the Ed stuff. Had numerous
hassles with gregs site but got 60kb/sec out of it when up today. Celestria motherlode would only give me 20kb/sec.

fsgregs

Post #30by fsgregs » 21.11.2005, 03:48

OK:

Activities are now active on both Motherlode and my own website. My website goes down a lot because the host is a friend and he turns off his machine from time to time (sorry about that). Motherlode is faster and is always up. Use it for present.

:D

Smacklug:

I've downloaded the Celestia-ED WIN file from Motherlode and it works fine, creating a folder called Celestia-ED and installing fine. Try downloading it again. Please note that the WIN file in the download list is NOT FT 1.2. It is something similiar but does not have the level of galaxy rendering that FT 1.2 has. Perhaps you are confusing it with a link to FT 1.2 that is made in the main body of the text. Ignore that link and download the exe file only.

Sorry about download times, but there is nothing I can do.

Enjoy!

BlindedByTheLight
With us: 19 years 6 months

Post #31by BlindedByTheLight » 21.11.2005, 04:43

fsgregs...

You might want to check out this thread:

http://celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=63830#63830

alphap1us seems to have an idea about you can implement your command-line thing on OS X... might be worth PMing him about it...
Steven Binder, Mac OS X 10.4.10

Smacklug

Post #32by Smacklug » 21.11.2005, 06:04

For some reason, during installation, it just makes a 1.4PreRe folder and adds some files to my FT1.2 folder.
When it makes the desktop shortcut, it just links to my FT1.2 celestia.exe.

fsgregs

Post #33by fsgregs » 21.11.2005, 23:11

Smackl;ug:

Try downloading the Celestia-140-ED Win zip file from the big list of links (not from the text at the top of the page). Unzip it, uninstall Celestia, double-click on the file to reinstall Celestia. It will install into a Celestia-ED folder.

Frank

Smacklug

Post #34by Smacklug » 22.11.2005, 20:55

fsgregs wrote:Smackl;ug:

Try downloading the Celestia-140-ED Win zip file from the big list of links (not from the text at the top of the page). Unzip it, uninstall Celestia, double-click on the file to reinstall Celestia. It will install into a Celestia-ED folder.

Frank

Wait, uninstall FT1.2 and 1.4PreRe folders?

fsgregs

Post #35by fsgregs » 23.11.2005, 00:45

The easiest thing to do appears to be to start over. Apparently, you've got some files mixed up. To start over, save any zip files of the Activities you've already downloaded from Motherlode or my website. Put them somewhere outside of a Celestia folder.

Then, uninstall Celestia completely via the Windows control panel.

If you have a Celestia-ED folder already on your computer, discard whatever remains of it.

Then, you need to re-download the Celestia-ED-140-Win file that is available from the download list on the education page of Motherlode. Once downloaded, just unzip it, then launch that installation file and it will install Celestia-ED into a new Celestia-ED folder inside your program files.

Open that folder, click on the Celestia-ED.exe file link to launch it, and set up Celestia's various Render options, as described in the Letter to Users and Educators available on our websites.

Then, unzip and install the General-Educational download into the Celestia-ED folder.

Then unzip and install Activity 9 into the Celestia-ED folder (or any other Activity you wish).

Open the Activity 9 MS Word document (which can be found in the Educational-Activities Folder inside Celestia-ED), follow all the instructions and you should be good to go.

Keep me posted.

Frank

BlindedByTheLight
With us: 19 years 6 months

Post #36by BlindedByTheLight » 30.11.2005, 00:09

Frank... got a question for ya... since OS X users are unable to just "unzip" directly into any particular folder, what is the manual layout supposed to be hierarchy-wise?

In other words, what goes where? Should I just put all the corresponding files (textures, models) into their appropriate places in the Celestia Resources folder?

Thanks,
S
Steven Binder, Mac OS X 10.4.10

fsgregs

Post #37by fsgregs » 30.11.2005, 00:45

Steve:

I will reply to you via PM. I am working with DirkPitt on figuring this out now.

Regards

Frank

Return to “Add-on development”