RELEASE: Beta Hydri v2

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Cormoran
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #21by Cormoran » 19.03.2005, 08:21

A question regarding the polar pinch effect. For most of my earthlike worlds, the poles are pure white to maybe 60-75 degrees latitude.

Why does a pure white area still exhibit the pinch effect?

Just curious :)

Cormoran
'...Gold planets, Platinum Planets, Soft rubber planets with lots of earthquakes....' The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy, Page 634784, Section 5a. Entry: Magrathea

kikinho
With us: 20 years

Post #22by kikinho » 19.03.2005, 13:28

But what option in Photoshop 7 I have to use to split up vertically? And there's a problem. Later when used the Spherical Mapping Corrector, there's a line that goes from north pole to south pole of the picture.
One day we will swim in the subsurface ocean of Europa and take shower in ethane lakes of Titan.

kikinho

Post #23by kikinho » 19.03.2005, 13:29

But what option in Photoshop 7 I have to use to split up vertically? And there's a problem. Later when used the Spherical Mapping Corrector, there's a line that goes from north pole to south pole of the picture. To avoid that, I normally use islands but the problem is when I want to use all the picture space.
One day we will swim in the subsurface ocean of Europa and take shower in ethane lakes of Titan.

kikinho

Post #24by kikinho » 19.03.2005, 13:30

But what option in Photoshop 7 I have to use to split up vertically? And there's a problem. Later when used the Spherical Mapping Corrector, there's a line that goes from north pole to south pole of the picture. To avoid that, I normally use islands but the problem is when I want to use all the picture space.

jestr
With us: 21 years

Post #25by jestr » 19.03.2005, 13:40

I use the rectangular marquee tool to split it vertically,you can set the size using the 'fixed size' option at the top (eg if your texture is 4096x 2048,then set the fixed size as 1024x2048-copy to another layer or new document).The line is unavoidable because of the stretching,you will have to learn how to 'tile' the texture by trial and error I think,I use the clone tool a lot-or paste another piece of texture over most of it,all the best Jestr

Michael Kilderry
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #26by Michael Kilderry » 03.04.2005, 09:10

Rhas,

I hope this post isn't too useless now since I came in so late...

Don't worry too much about what other people say about your addon, if you like it, then it's good enough. I know myself, making textures for my fictional addons that the pinch effect can be hard to get rid of, but you probably should try to hide imperfections in your addon promoting screenshots, as it will encourage people to download your addon more. :wink: . Although sometimes the pinch effect can be used as an interesting feature on a planet.

Whether the textures in your addon are only slightly modified ones from other addons or not, they still look very pretty and colourful, and I plan on downloading this addon right after I've looked at Rigel Kentaurus A v2. If your textures do look to familar to some people, you may want to think of combining more textures together to create a unique looking planet.

Michael Kilderry :)
My shatters.net posting milestones:

First post - 11th October 2004
100th post - 11th November 2004
200th post - 23rd January 2005
300th post - 21st February 2005
400th post - 23rd July 2005

First addon: The Lera Solar System

- Michael

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #27by ElChristou » 03.04.2005, 15:03

Michael Kilderry wrote:Don't worry too much about what other people say about your addon, if you like it, then it's good enough.

Oops sorry Michael, but indeed the critics are the best way to go further on good job. Working alone without taking care of users is not (from my point of view) the best way to work, except if you are a professional in computer graphics?€¦

Problem are here to be resolved, not to be ingnored?€¦ (this is good for every thing else). I have done a tutorial on pinch effect, Rassillon use a similar technique, Cham has given his own point of view, Jestr use a specific plug-in, etc?€¦ well there is solutions, and definitively, with all these, Rhas can improve his joob.

...but you probably should try to hide imperfections in your addon promoting screenshots, as it will encourage people to download your addon more. :wink:

Another time, I really don?€™t thing this is a good advice, I don?€™t believe people are making (should make) add-ons just to have the first place in download rating?€¦ Occulting deliberately defaults is not a sign of honesty?€¦ sorry to say so.

Bye

Michael Kilderry

Post #28by Michael Kilderry » 04.04.2005, 04:12

ElChristou, you do have some valid points. It is good to listen to critics suggestions, the point I was getting at is that you shouldn't get too upset over the critics' comments if they are being a little too blunt, not picking too harshly at anyone in this particular thread though.

With the second quoted bit of my writing, my opinion is screenshots for promoting addons are supposed to show them at their best. It's not like you can really obscure bugs in addons anyway, people are going to find them once they see them properly in Celestia.

If someone needs help with glitches in their addon, the best thing probably would be to do is ask and show their problem, but I'd say the best thing to do is not actually to put pictures like that in the thread that is supposed to encourage you to download the addon, but maybe in an addon preview thread you can put problems like pinched poles in and ask how to fix them as the addon is not yet supposed to be ready and finished for download yet, it is still in the making for all these problems to be fixed.

That would have to be the most wordy post I've made in awhile...

- Michael

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #29by ElChristou » 04.04.2005, 19:41

Michael Kilderry wrote:...you shouldn't get too upset over the critics' comments if they are being a little too blunt, not picking too harshly at anyone in this particular thread though.

If someone needs help with glitches in their addon, the best thing probably would be to do is ask and show their problem, but I'd say the best thing to do is not actually to put pictures like that in the thread that is supposed to encourage you to download the addon, but maybe in an addon preview thread you can put problems like pinched poles in and ask how to fix them as the addon is not yet supposed to be ready and finished for download yet, it is still in the making for all these problems to be fixed.

Michael,

You should have taken the time to express your thoughts this way in the upper post, now yes, I'am complety agree whith you.

Negative critics are always hard to read, but being "zen" is always the best way to handle with this...

Bye

Michael Kilderry

Post #30by Michael Kilderry » 05.04.2005, 02:42

ElChristou wrote:Michael,

You should have taken the time to express your thoughts this way in the upper post, now yes, I'am complety agree whith you.

Yes, but I find sometimes you do need someone who doesn't understand or agree with your post before you can explain yourself better.

Negative critics are always hard to read, but being "zen" is always the best way to handle with this...

"Zen" would be how I try to be when people are being critics to my addons, but sometimes it can be hard for certain people, not picking at anyone in particular, to take negative posts calmly.

- Michael

Topic author
RHAS
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #31by RHAS » 10.05.2005, 14:27

Michael Kilderry wrote:ElChristou, you do have some valid points. It is good to listen to critics suggestions, the point I was getting at is that you shouldn't get too upset over the critics' comments if they are being a little too blunt, not picking too harshly at anyone in this particular thread though.

With the second quoted bit of my writing, my opinion is screenshots for promoting addons are supposed to show them at their best. It's not like you can really obscure bugs in addons anyway, people are going to find them once they see them properly in Celestia.

Michael,

Thanks for your kind words, but the way i see it is this:
There has been far to much insinuations and remarks about me and my add-on.
First i like to say is that this was my second add-on for celestia ever i personally think it isnt bad and that its actually of medium quality.
I know of a few shortcommings as i supposed to as an editor, and i fixed a number of them going to version 2, i included a changelog in the post to show people what was fixed. the fixes were obviously good because nobody commented them so in my opinion i did a good job.
Personally i didnt see the pich effect in the screenshots, thats gamma or brightness setting related.
I was aware of the pich effect before this thread.
I like healthy critisism i know it can make me better, but im not obligated to follow it all or implement it on the spot.
In fact some of the changes i did in version 2 were suggested by some of you before.
Like i said before i started creating an add-on and during the production process i learn new things that i implement in the next add-on and so on.
When i had 3 add-ons i upgraded 1 and 2 so they all reached the same quality/technology/skill level.
My first add-on was mainly learning the .scc, my second i figured out bumpmapping, the third specualr textures atmospheres and some graphic skills.
Next on my list is more graphic related issues.
I put great effort to make my add-ons nice and organized and provide them as a complete package. I take care in case sensitivity for linux machines, correct filemaming, missing files, readme`s, .ssc info , cellurls, add-on directory setup, and try to give all my add-ons an uniform look
the biggest critics in this thread havent provided one single bit of information to help prove my "problem", i thank all those who had some good advise.
I am busy on my final celestia add-on its called Kappa Ceti and will put in every skill for celestia editing i developed during the last add-ons.
I hope some of you will like it, i know i will.

Michael Kilderry

Post #32by Michael Kilderry » 11.05.2005, 06:23

I can see your points,

I myself plan to update my first addon (Lera) again sometime in the future, some textures have already been updated since Lera first came out due to my increasing skill.

By the time Lera was finished and I started on Proxima I had already developed most of my skills, but I did learn a few more, and I expect to get even better with the addons to come.

Is Kappa Ceti going to be your final addon? Why are you going to stop?

Michael :)

- Michael

Topic author
RHAS
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #33by RHAS » 13.05.2005, 00:44

Michael Kilderry wrote:I can see your points,

I myself plan to update my first addon (Lera) again sometime in the future, some textures have already been updated since Lera first came out due to my increasing skill.

By the time Lera was finished and I started on Proxima I had already developed most of my skills, but I did learn a few more, and I expect to get even better with the addons to come.

Is Kappa Ceti going to be your final addon? Why are you going to stop?

Michael :)

Yes this is gonna be my final celestia add-on. I will continue to edit as i do always. Im cursed in a way that i always want to change something about a program or game i use. The reasons for me quitting the celestia editing are mainly 2 reasons.
The first reason is that i dont feel i can really make a contribution to the community, and related to that i dont feel my work is appreciated as much as i like it to be.
Second reason are the issues that went on the other day at the motherlode, wich dont help my motivation aswell (the image issue and all things related).
I think celestia is a great program, and i like the fact i know allot more about its workings now, wich is a good thing, i enjoyed making the add-ons, but im moving on.
I hope celestia and its community will grow.
I just hope that certain educated individuals in this community realise that if we want to ever go to space we must interest the masses for it.
And the masses may not be as educated as some of the space freaks in here with an universal degree. So its important to guide newcommers and be nice to them. Dont threat the community as an elite group or your personal property let it grow!

Return to “Add-on development”