The future of our Sun

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #21by Adirondack » 28.10.2007, 22:36

Wow, Vince, wow!

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)
The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

Topic author
Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #22by Vincent » 29.10.2007, 09:41

Adirondack wrote:Wow, Vince, wow!

Thanks, Ulrich, thanks!
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

srosenow_98
With us: 17 years 2 months

Post #23by srosenow_98 » 29.10.2007, 10:58

I'm having a tough time getting this to work. I have 1.5.0 pre4, I tried downloading the CVS version but got 404 errors, and for whatever reason, the script won't fully function. It goes through its speil, but it won't "animate" per se, showing the various stages depicted in the screenshot material.

I'm running Vista, by the way.

Topic author
Vincent
Developer

Post #24by Vincent » 29.10.2007, 11:24

srosenow_98 wrote:I'm having a tough time getting this to work. I have 1.5.0 pre4, I tried downloading the CVS version but got 404 errors, and for whatever reason, the script won't fully function. It goes through its speil, but it won't "animate" per se, showing the various stages depicted in the screenshot material.

I'm running Vista, by the way.

You don't need to download the CVS version anymore since you have Celestia 1.5pre4 on your system. I'll edit my previous posts since this appears to be confusing for many users.

Then, can you please be more precise about what you mean by "It goes through its speil" ? I'm sorry, this is not easily understandable to us non native english speakers. Or at least to me... :wink:
@+
Vincent

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #25by ANDREA » 29.10.2007, 19:29

Vincent, your "Future_of_our_sun" script is a very nice, interesting and enjoyable work, thanks a lot for all the effort you applied to. :wink:
I have one suggestion and one problem:
1- the suggestion: having done all the stuff for the most dramatic ages of the Sun, why not add the Sun formation from the gas-dust cloud?
This should change the name to "The life of our Sun", or something this way, covering all the Sun stages.
Perhaps for this you could use e.g. the "protostar" addon (by Commander David?).
Just a thought, obviously. :wink:

2- my problem: I started translating the text in Italian, but I have the problem that celx doesn't recognize the -'- sign, that on the contrary can be used in cel files to accent the Italian words needing it, and for particular words couples like this "L'anno"= the year.
Moreover at the same time it doesn't accept, giving error just like cel files, the accented letters ????? ???¬
How can I use -'- in celx files?
Thanks a lot.
Bye

Andrea :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Topic author
Vincent
Developer

Post #26by Vincent » 29.10.2007, 19:50

ANDREA wrote:Vincent, your "Future_of_our_sun" script is a very nice, interesting and enjoyable work, thanks a lot for all the effort you applied to. :wink:
You're welcome Andrea.

ANDREA wrote:1- the suggestion: having done all the stuff for the most dramatic ages of the Sun, why not add the Sun formation from the gas-dust cloud?
This should change the name to "The life of our Sun", or something this way, covering all the Sun stages.
MKruer already made this suggestion:
MKruer wrote:Other then the Black dwarf thing, the only other thing that I can think of to add would be the formation of the sun.
And here was my answer:
Vincent wrote:Yes, I already thought about that. However, it may be worth waiting for point sprites rendering, especially for objects like the pre-solar nebula or the protoplanetary disk...
Then, if this can't be done soon using point sprites, I may use a modified version of the protostar addon, as you suggested. As soon as I have some time to spend on it... :wink:

ANDREA wrote:2- my problem: I started translating the text in Italian, but I have the problem that celx doesn't recognize the -'- sign, that on the contrary can be used in cel files to accent the Italian words needing it, and for particular words couples like this "L'anno"= the year.
Moreover at the same time it doesn't accept, giving error just like cel files, the accented letters ????? ???¬
How can I use -'- in celx files?

Make sure that your text editor accepts UTF-8 encoding. If not, please have a look at: http://celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7615
@+
Vincent

ANDREA

Post #27by ANDREA » 29.10.2007, 23:43

Vincent wrote:MKruer already made this suggestion:
MKruer wrote:Other then the Black dwarf thing, the only other thing that I can think of to add would be the formation of the sun.
And here was my answer:
Vincent wrote:Yes, I already thought about that. However, it may be worth waiting for point sprites rendering, especially for objects like the pre-solar nebula or the protoplanetary disk...
Then, if this can't be done soon using point sprites, I may use a modified version of the protostar addon, as you suggested. As soon as I have some time to spend on it... :wink:?

Vincent wrote:2- Make sure that your text editor accepts UTF-8 encoding. If not, please have a look at: http://celestiaproject.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7615

Vincent, I missed a lot of things, so both MKruer post with your reply, and the explanation on UTF-8 encoding. :oops:
Sorry!
And thanks a lot for both the next improvements, and your information, very appreciated.
Bye

HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #28by Chuft-Captain » 30.10.2007, 13:06

Vincent wrote:Then, can you please be more precise about what you mean by "It goes through its speil" ? I'm sorry, this is not easily understandable to us non native english speakers. Or at least to me... :wink:
speil : "speak at great length (about something)" :)
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

ANDREA

Post #29by ANDREA » 30.10.2007, 19:00

Dear Vincent, thanks to your suggestion I have now a perfect Future of the Sun in Italian.
Only two little things:
the "Planetary nebula" looks a bit "harsh", so I worked its external shell a bit, and here the result:

If you like it, you can download it here:
http://ftp.tiscali.it/andrea_celestia/Helix.png
Enjoy. :wink:
Bye

ANDREA

Post #30by ANDREA » 31.10.2007, 18:54

Sorry Vincent, but due to my absolute ignorance on celx commands I'm compelled to ask for your help once again. :oops:
I find a bit "unscientific" to give Sun temperatures, 9 billion years from now, at a two decimal precision. :wink:
So I would like to modify it, and possibly to reduce it to hundreds values, I mean 34800 K instead of 34786.00, or 34700 K instead of 34749.00, because I feel this more "serious".
Do you agree?
How can I obtain this change in your script?
Thanks a lot.
Bye

conj
With us: 17 years 2 months

Post #31by conj » 01.11.2007, 10:41

conj wrote:will this addon be remade for 1.4?? because 1.5pre1,2 and 3 slows my computer, or disables my video/graphics card.

never mind,now 1.5 pre 4 works A.O.K with this! Great addon, Vincent!(like the fluid on the Sun!)

Topic author
Vincent
Developer

Post #32by Vincent » 01.11.2007, 11:01

ANDREA wrote:I find a bit "unscientific" to give Sun temperatures, 9 billion years from now, at a two decimal precision. :wink:

Andrea,

In my version of the script, Sun temperatures are not displayed with two decimals, but as integer values... You certainly made an inopportune change in your italian version that broke the toStr function that sets the precision of the displayed values. I can help you finding this issue if you send me your modified script.

Then, like you, I find the prediction of the Sun temperatures with such a high level of precision a little bit 'pretentious'. But rounding these values to the nearest hundred, as you suggest, will prevent from showing the increase/decrease of the temperatures...
@+
Vincent

ANDREA

Post #33by ANDREA » 01.11.2007, 11:23

Vincent wrote:
ANDREA wrote:I find a bit "unscientific" to give Sun temperatures, 9 billion years from now, at a two decimal precision. :wink:
Andrea, In my version of the script, Sun temperatures are not displayed with two decimals, but as integer values... You certainly made an inopportune change in your italian version that broke the toStr function that sets the precision of the displayed values. I can help you finding this issue if you send me your modified script. Then, like you, I find the prediction of the Sun temperatures with such a high level of precision a little bit 'pretentious'. But rounding these values to the nearest hundred, as you suggest, will prevent from showing the increase/decrease of the temperatures...

Thank you Vincent, I sent you the file by PM.
I understand the reasons why it's impossible to round Temp values to nearest hundred, you are right.
Bye and thank you for your help and patience. :wink:
Bye

Return to “Add-on development”