Light ray paths around a black hole (work in progress)

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
LordFerret M
With us: 17 years 10 months

Post #21by LordFerret » 20.01.2007, 03:27

Agreed. I've been reading, and trying to follow... and I find it fascinating. :D

Aside from seeing the graphic representation you've produced for Celestia to demonstrate the light paths, I'm trying to envision what effect such an object/model would have out there in space were I near to it... what the visual effect would be on light from stars in the background, and what the photosphere would actually appear as. It would make a very interesting model I'm sure.

:D

Topic author
Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #22by Cham » 21.01.2007, 08:12

Okay, here's a link to a zip file with two Schwarzschild black holes models. I can't tell yet if these are finished. You to tell me.

http://nho.ohn.free.fr/celestia/Cham/BH ... iation.zip (5.8 MB zip file).

The models are showing light deviation around both holes, plus a massive particle trajectory in the second case.

Is that too much to ask for feedback ? If you want more of those addons ... or else I'll keep them for myself.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Darkness nova
With us: 17 years 11 months

Post #23by Darkness nova » 22.01.2007, 00:19

This may sound like a bit of an odd idea but until someone could do all the coding and such why not do a kind of glass effect or something around said black hole? It'd look something like this. Image know thats not exactley the best looking thing in the world but would it not be a good temporary thing till someone else figures out another way to do it that
might be more convincing?

LordFerret M

Post #24by LordFerret » 23.01.2007, 03:38

Cham wrote:Okay, here's a link to a zip file with two Schwarzschild black holes models. I can't tell yet if these are finished. You to tell me.

http://nho.ohn.free.fr/celestia/Cham/BH ... iation.zip (5.8 MB zip file).

The models are showing light deviation around both holes, plus a massive particle trajectory in the second case.

Is that too much to ask for feedback ? If you want more of those addons ... or else I'll keep them for myself.

Well, I'm in dialup hell... but I'm downloading it anyway LOL. Can't wait to see! :D

LordFerret M

Post #25by LordFerret » 24.01.2007, 05:33

I like. Very interesting. I'm far from qualified to comment other than that though. Flying around both objects in free-mode allowed for an interesting perspective as opposed to the 2-D images posted. I'm going to hang on to this addon and show it to my uncle when he returns from his travels... I'm sure he'll find it equally interesting to see. Perhaps he'll have comments I'll post. Thanks! :D

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #26by fsgregs » 06.02.2007, 00:30

Cham:

I love your attempt to create a warpage of space around a Black Hole. That has been the one thing missing from your amazing Black Hole add-ons.

I can't wait to download and enjoy it, and explain its effects to my students. :D

Thank you for the magnificent effort.

Frank

Celestial_Planets
With us: 17 years 8 months

Post #27by Celestial_Planets » 19.02.2007, 21:31

I have just one thing to say about this.

This is a terrific addon! It's so cool. I can't wait to download this addon. :D Unfortunately, I'm at 36.00 Kbps at an average of only 3.5 KB/s, so I'll have to wait 35-50 minutes to see the results.
My First Computer:

448 MB of RAM
Speed: 2,540 ft/s
71.2 GB Space
Celestia 1.4.1
Windows XP Service Pack 2

My Current Computer:

16 GB RAM
Speed: 98,500 mi/s
iMac 21.5"
Mac OS X Lion
500 GB HD