Interior of the planets

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 5 months

Post #161by Vincent » 06.09.2007, 18:00

Fenerit,

Is the Ambient Light Level the same in the two shots, i.e., with the Lua Tools enabled and disabled ?
If not, you should try to adjust the Ambient Light Level with the slider.
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 5 months

Post #162by Vincent » 06.09.2007, 18:18

Fenerit,

I've tested your addon with the current CVS version and with the Lua Tools enabled.
Here are the results:

- with the Ambient Light Level set to zero:

- same view, but with some Ambient Light:

So, I think you simply need to adjust the Ambient light Level, as I suggested above. Besides, enabling/disabling the Lua Tools doesn't modify the Ambient Light Level, so you may have changed it inopportunely.
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

Topic author
Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 2 months

Post #163by Fenerit » 06.09.2007, 19:41

Thank you Cham and Vincent for reply. Vincent, your observation is right, it's only my inexperience with the LUAtools the problem.

Cham, I'm trying now new materials, but the result is the same. I'm traying to apply also the material emissivity (plus and minus) directly to the meshes, same result: nothing. I've tried to assign to the material even the black specularity: nothing too. It's very strange, the phong material of my modeller is phong as showed in the 1.4.1 while in 1.5.0 seem more what my modeller call "dielectric". In doing the converse, that is, to assign "dielectric", 1.4.1 does nothing as well as 1.5.0. I do not like 1.5.0 :evil: The one thing good is that now I do not "enter" inside the Interior of the Earth with the mouse.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #164by Fenerit » 07.09.2007, 15:57

Hey guys, false alarm. You are authorized to knock on my head. :D I've updated the video driver and all has gone at own place. For what concern the materials, uhmm... seems more useful to know a photoretouch program than a 3d modeller...
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #165by Fenerit » 21.09.2007, 05:36

Hi! In building the Dinamic Model of Earth which I want to place within the Interiors, I've thought to share such .3DS model to boost who would to make the interiors of the remains planets:

This model is very simple and pretty suited, in my humble opinion, for Mercury, Venus, Mars and some of the jovian moons, since they doesn't requires too much constituent's sections.
The model has: 1) the crust; 2) two perpendicular disk and 3) one sphere for the core, which could be replaced with a simple Celestia's spheroid in order to match the bumpmap or normalmap textures. The texture is a radial gradient apply to each one of the two disk. The .PSD circular layer with the gradient and two underlying rocks textures is included in the pack:

http://fenerit.webng.com/files/interiors_template.zip
NOTE: this is not a Celestia Add-on, it's just a .3DS template

Enjoy, Fenerit 8)

P.S.
(just the :idea: of the last moment):
If the two perpendicular disk were made with two Celestia's spheroid having a OBLATENESS near to 1, one could be able to use bumps, normals and VT textures, or not?
Never at rest.
Massimo

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #166by selden » 21.09.2007, 11:18

All of the surface texture properties can be applied to any of Celestia's spheres, no matter how oblate they are.
Selden

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #167by Fenerit » 21.09.2007, 11:56

selden wrote:All of the surface texture properties can be applied to any of Celestia's spheres, no matter how oblate they are.

As consequence, one could to assemble the VT in a manner in which at certain level no rocks are displayed but diagrams, graphics, etc. It could be useful in education.
Never at rest.
Massimo

selden
Developer

Post #168by selden » 21.09.2007, 13:37

While that technique might work now, it might not work so well in future versions of Celestia. Chris has mentioned that he's investigating using images from lower resolution layers near the viewable edges of spheres where the tiles are foreshortened.

I'd suggest using AltSurface instead.
Selden

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #169by Fenerit » 21.09.2007, 13:43

selden wrote:While that technique might work now, it might not work so well in future versions of Celestia. Chris has mentioned that he's investigating using images from lower resolution layers near the viewable edges of spheres where the tiles are foreshortened.

I'd suggest using AltSurface instead.

Indeed; it's less complicated, too.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #170by Fenerit » 28.09.2007, 18:59

Just to go ahead with the interior of the planets, now it's time for Mercury. Very simple and small add-on. No too much data for this planet; I'm waiting for Messenger and BepiColombo missions. The interior's structure is based on this articles:

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/May ... rcury.html
http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00000961/
http://www.daviddarling.info/encycloped ... rcury.html

Download here:
http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catal ... system.php

Enjoy, Fenerit. 8)
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #171by Fenerit » 14.10.2007, 05:34

Again!!! :evil: In updating to the new Forceware drivers, I've found two flicker flicks before unrecognizables on the left labels of Mercury's interior, which appears at very closest approach. They shows and hides themselves throught the weel movement just in a particular point and no more. In order to avoid such effect, I've a bit detached the text labels from the break. The fixed .CMOD is here (the model only, the rest is just the same):

###############################################

REMOVED: see next posts

###############################################
Last edited by Fenerit on 29.10.2007, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
Never at rest.
Massimo

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 8 months

Post #172by BobHegwood » 14.10.2007, 12:51

Hey there...

Just wanted to THANK YOU for the add-ons. The interior of the planets is
a cool idea, especially for us Brain-Dead types. :wink:
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #173by Fenerit » 15.10.2007, 03:13

BobHegwood wrote:Hey there...

Just wanted to THANK YOU for the add-ons. The interior of the planets is
a cool idea, especially for us Brain-Dead types. :wink:

Thanks about, Bob. I'm relatively new here, but I've seen the salute to you coming back. I'm adding too. :wink:
Never at rest.
Massimo

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 8 months

Post #174by BobHegwood » 15.10.2007, 17:15

Fenerit wrote:
Thanks about, Bob. I'm relatively new here, but I've seen the salute to you coming back. I'm adding too. :wink:

Well you know that being NEW - or being an old GEEZER - should have
nothing to do with Celestia. We are ALL interested in space, the planets,
and the universe in general - and THAT should be a common thread here.

To Hell with clicks, the in-crowd, and all of the other crap that usually goes
on in a forum. This forum is - or used to be - different mainly because we
ALL love the exploration of the universe.

I'll get OFF of my soapbox now. :roll:
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #175by Fenerit » 23.10.2007, 05:55

Because the Solar System is already full of add-ons, I've thought of re-creating the Sol system at approx 35 ly from Aldebaran calling it "Planetary interiors" in which to put all the cross-sections. I've assigned to him the HIP number 700000000000 which doesn't seem belonging to any stars already present. The goal of this action is to allow in the best way possible the displacement of all the further models builded by me or by other Celestians, in the spirit of what to had to be the aborted "EDU SOL" plan.
For this purpose, once one has created a general "interiors" directory in ..\extras\ folder (the name is leaved at your discretion), all the planetary interiors will be placed there by the users one by one as subfolders; being the main .STC file in the former and the relevant .SSC's in the latters, which will points to the new Sun-like star. Thus, all the planets will have the usual orbits without interfere with the others add-ons. This is particulary important for the Jovian moon's cross-sections, since their placements are very problematics in the current SS. Moreover, all that will quit the task for the rest of the Celestians of doing the same themselvels for me.

THE .STC FILE: (based upon an Hungry4info's example, I've changed the RA, Dec and Distance of one factor)

700000000000 "Planetary interiors"

{
RA 72.7324033 # changeable
Dec +19.9581714 # changeable
Distance 31.70836 # changeable
SpectralType "G2V" # do not change
AppMag 4.83 # do not change

RotationPeriod 609.12 # do not change
Obliquity 7.25 # do not change
EquatorAscendingNode 75.77 # do not change
RotationOffset 23.00 # do not change

}

Note:
- you can change the HIP number but the description; at least add of news, otherwise bye-bye references;
- You can name this file as you wish; e.a: "planetary_interiors.stc" or "interiors_of_the_planets.stc", etc.

All the further interiors created by me will be placed in this location. In the case one wish to do the same with the Cham's models, be caution about the Europa's structure, because it needs to make a Jupiter's reference by creating a jupiter.ssc in the relevant Europa's structure folder and in which the first line let be:

"Jupiter" "Planetary interiors"

plus the usual Jupiter's data; then let add to the Cham's Europa's .ssc the line:

"Europa's structure" "Planetary interiors/Jupiter"

plus the usual Europa's data with the exception of the directives which points to all that is not embedded in the 3d model (surface textures, specular and normalmap: for the clouds let hold the original add-on's strings).

Now, after this verbose presentation, WHAT IS WRONG? WHY IT DOESN'T WORK ON CELESTIA 1.4.1 WHEREAS IN 1.5.0 pre3 ALL GOES PERFECTLY WELL? Is the HIP number too high or whatever else? I've executed:

- enter after the last .STC bracket;
- put the .STC time after time everywhere in all the pertinent folders;
- renamed the .STC how A.STC in order to match it as the first .STC in loading;

If someone know in advance what is gone wrong in this approach, is welcome, of course; since I should like to have the 1.4.1 downward compatibility yet. Thanks.
Never at rest.
Massimo

selden
Developer

Post #176by selden » 23.10.2007, 10:31

1. there's no need for any HIP number at all.

2. v1.4.1 does not understand the +
That bug is fixed in 1.5.0
Selden

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #177by Fenerit » 23.10.2007, 10:50

selden wrote:1. there's no need for any HIP number at all.

2. v1.4.1 does not understand the +
That bug is fixed in 1.5.0

Oh, well... Thank you Selden for replay. 8) Out of topic: I can't wait to see how do you have animated the Hale's "light's capture".
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #178by Fenerit » 29.10.2007, 14:14

Finally I've found a good smooth angle in the 3dstoCMOD converter which shows no pseudo-elevation at poles. This is the result:

the new Mercury's interior fix is here:

http://fenerit.webng.com/files/mercury_ ... es_fix.zip

(just the model)

I've add the ".*" support for the texture's extension and the normalmap directive, which point to the "mercury_normal.*" file. I'm unable to see it since my graphic card didn't support the OpenGL 2.0 routines. Nevertheless, for whom as me do not have this graphic feature, let says that the model didn't crash at all with this "unknow" call. Thanks to Bob "Brain-Dead Geezer" Hegwood, Selden and Cham for them indirect aid.

I've updated my website with 2 newest standalone models (neither text on texture or altsurface maps) of the Earth's interior and of the Earth's seismic tomography. This latter turn around the former in the new planetary interior's location whose .stc is also available; meanwhile Mercury turn around the new Sun-like star. They have all the fixed features. The names for the normalmaps is "earth_normal.*" for both the Earth's interior and the Seismic Tomography.

EDIT LATER:

Now the models are properly oriented
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
Fenerit M

Post #179by Fenerit » 27.12.2007, 15:21

Hi, there. For now a Mars' interior model is available here:

http://fenerit.webng.com/

and is based upon these works:

http://seismo.berkeley.edu/~manga/spohn-mars01.pdf
http://www.ipgp.jussieu.fr/docs/recherc ... al2005.pdf

The model is depicted with the small solid core (IMHO, my favourite profile) and is plotted the limit circle for the entirely liquid profile, so mind how in this latter case the solid part is lacking or, at least, controversial (the magnetic field is absent).

For the thermal profiles I've assumed 1630?°K (a temp. value for mw in the PVT equation of the state) and 1873?°K (high temp. pyroxene > majorite) instead of round values mostly as surveying for authorized persons and because in the diagram of pag. 11 of the Veroheven's article the ruler fall close those numbers; thence, one who didn't would to do confusion, brought in mind how should to consider that values as round values tout court. In any case the diagram is too small and coarse for extracting precise data and the tables doesn't says in numerical fashion the temperatures with which the Marstherms presumably changes.

A fictional standalone model of the Argyre impact is included and the 2k Mars texture is that of John Van Vliet; therefore whom which would to replace the texture let be sure to copy a 256x256 piece from the own custom map for substituting the "crater.png" file, in order to match the colors. Normalmap "mars_normal.*" and ".*" files are supported.

Enjoy,
Fenerit 8)
Never at rest.
Massimo

Tharghana
With us: 16 years 5 months

Post #180by Tharghana » 04.01.2008, 11:00

This is a pretty nice add-on, but a cross section of the "Ice giants" giants would be cool. The Mars cross section and the detailed earth are really good.

Keep on working on this add-on, it's great.

Return to “Add-on development”