New model for Celestia in construction (DOWNLOAD link)

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #121by selden » 12.11.2006, 17:05

Daniel,

A 3500+ runs at 2.2GHz. A 3000+ runs at 1.8GHz. 2.2/1.8 = 1.22. You *might* notice the 22% speed improvement, but I doubt it very much. There are no other advantages to running the faster CPU: it has exactly the same amount of cache and the same bus speed.

I'd suggest that you save your money until you can afford an improvement that you would notice.
Selden

Topic author
Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #122by Cham » 13.11.2006, 01:45

Just some publicity for the space ferry ;-)

"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Beowulf01
With us: 19 years 9 months

Post #123by Beowulf01 » 13.11.2006, 02:05

SWEET!!!
dude, you should post that model over at http://www.scifi-meshes.com Great work there, very good textures.

Topic author
Cham M

Post #124by Cham » 13.11.2006, 02:06

Beowulf01 wrote:SWEET!!!
Great work there, very good textures.

?? There isn't a single texture on that model !

And in case you're not aware of it, the model is available on the previous page, ready for download.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

bh
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #125by bh » 13.11.2006, 08:07

Yes...the panel details on the head section look like the model has been textured! Stunning work Cham.
regards...bh.

Topic author
Cham M

Post #126by Cham » 03.03.2007, 06:44

Funny ! I've just found a web site with a picture of a spaceship very similar in design as my models shown on the previous pages :

http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/Scien ... galaxy.jpg

There are also many pictures of black holes and pulsars, and some are very similar to other models I've done in the past. There's even a pulsar with a dipolar magnetic field there :

http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/alien ... erings.htm

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #127by fsgregs » 06.03.2007, 01:35

Cham:

I again wish to thank you for all you have done for Celestia. Your models and add-ons are just stunning. My Astronomy students have praised them numerous times, and as you know, teenagers are very hard to impress!! :wink:

I second everyone's call for a Mars ship that contains a rotating section. It is absolutely vital for inclusion in a real transport to Mars, so it should be in your model.

I am unaware of the size that a ship from Earth to Mars would actually have to be, to carry a crew to Mars for an extended visit. The Kepler seems too big, the taxi seems too small ... the Carl Sagan seems about right ... what has your research discovered about the dimensions of a Mars transport?

I also support your desire to include a surface landing vessel in your Mars transport. Obviously, we have to get down to the surface, and back again. If you do include such a spacecraft, if would be IDEAL if it could actually be shown separately as well as a separate add-on, so us storytellers could tell a story about it leaving the transport and heading toward Mars.

You may ... or may not ... have ever seen a Hollywood movie called the "Mission to Mars". It is a far-fetched science fiction tale about an advanced civilization leaving a huge artifact on Mars for humans to find. However, the ship used in the movie to get to Mars is a good model that might interest you. The movie also has some great scenes of Newton's laws at work in space.

Anyway, keep us posted on your efforts to mesh everything together into a Mars exploration add-on.

:D

Frank

Topic author
Cham M

Post #128by Cham » 06.03.2007, 01:52

Frank,

I do intend to build another spacecraft for Celestia, one with a rotating part and a landing ship. However, it will take time since I'm involved in another kind of modeling : magnetic fields and accretion disks. Since the accretion disks are extremelly promising, I'll give all my free time to it, especially if Chris implement the sprites and something to make the luminosity variable with distance.

I may built another spacecraft this summer, but certainly not sooner.

Return to “Add-on development”