TNG Warp Drive (RELEASE)

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
starfleetengineer
With us: 17 years 8 months

TNG Warp Drive (RELEASE)

Post #1by starfleetengineer » 01.02.2007, 05:32

This is not quite ready for download yet, but I thought I'd give a preview to see if anyone's interested.

EDIT: Download is now available. (CLICK ON THE IMAGE)

Last edited by starfleetengineer on 17.08.2007, 11:53, edited 4 times in total.

Captain Nephilim
With us: 18 years 11 months

What does it do?

Post #2by Captain Nephilim » 01.02.2007, 14:43

Could you describe your Warp Drive simulator?

What does it do? How does it work? Why don't you offer it for download now?
-------------------------
---------------------------------
-----Cpt----------------------------------
---------Nephilim--------------------------------------
--------------------------------
--------------------
----------

Reiko
With us: 18 years

Post #3by Reiko » 01.02.2007, 15:10

Cool! Mr. Sulu warp 7! :)

Hungry4info
With us: 19 years

Post #4by Hungry4info » 02.02.2007, 23:37

Very nice.
From what I can tell, it's a script that will propell you to a certain warp speed determined by pressing the numbers on the keyboard.

In Star Trek, each successive warp speed was exponentially higher than the one before it. Warp 1 was light speed (Which Cpt. Kirk used all the time, and yet somehow explored a good amount of space within a timeframe of only 5 years). Warp 10 was infinite speed, and thus theoretically impossible (although in the orignal series, they exceeded that, going to Warp 14 if I remember correctly, but then again, the produces of the show hadn't quite solidified their whole warp theories and what-not).

Will it have impulse power too o.O?
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Topic author
starfleetengineer

Re: What does it do?

Post #5by starfleetengineer » 03.02.2007, 00:03

Captain Nephilim wrote:Could you describe your Warp Drive simulator?
What does it do? How does it work?
See Hungry's post.

Captain Nephilim wrote:Why don't you offer it for download now?

It crashes sometimes in 1.5.1, so I want to work out why before releasing it, rather than releasing a buggy version.

Topic author
starfleetengineer

Post #6by starfleetengineer » 03.02.2007, 00:09

Hungry4info wrote:Very nice.
From what I can tell, it's a script that will propell you to a certain warp speed determined by pressing the numbers on the keyboard.

In Star Trek, each successive warp speed was exponentially higher than the one before it. Warp 1 was light speed (Which Cpt. Kirk used all the time, and yet somehow explored a good amount of space within a timeframe of only 5 years). Warp 10 was infinite speed, and thus theoretically impossible (although in the orignal series, they exceeded that, going to Warp 14 if I remember correctly, but then again, the produces of the show hadn't quite solidified their whole warp theories and what-not).

Here is the velocity formula I have used (by Martin Shields): http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/FAQs/ ... rmulae.htm

Hungry4info wrote:Will it have impulse power too o.O?
Yes. Disengage the WARP drive and use the A and Z keys. :lol:

Hungry4info

Post #7by Hungry4info » 03.02.2007, 03:55

Thanks for that link. I have a copy of the TNG manual and did compare it, it sure does line up ^_^
Current Setup:

Topic author
starfleetengineer

Post #8by starfleetengineer » 08.02.2007, 13:10

Version 1.0 for Celestia versions 1.3.2 or later is now available.
(CLICK ON THE LINK IN MY SIGNATURE)

Please report any bugs/issues in this thread, or PM me.

EXISTING ISSUES:
Sometimes crashes in 1.5.0pre1, but I'm hoping that's just an issue with that particular pre-release. (Feel free to debug it if you're feeling lucky 8) )
"Once you're in Earth orbit you're half way to almost anywhere in the Universe" - Robert Heinlein

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE WARPDRIVE

bdm
With us: 19 years 2 months

Post #9by bdm » 08.02.2007, 23:32

Hungry4info wrote:Very nice.
although in the orignal series, they exceeded that, going to Warp 14 if I remember correctly, but then again, the produces of the show hadn't quite solidified their whole warp theories and what-not

I think there was also a reference to warp 14 in TNG where a future female Enterprise captain made an appearance

Admiral2a

Warp drive

Post #10by Admiral2a » 09.02.2007, 15:20

They changed the warp scale when they made TNG. For instance, in TOS; Warp 2 would only be about 8c whereas in TNG it is 10.1c.
The episode with the female captain is the finale of TNG and they are going Warp 13 because it is supposed to be the future.

Hungry4info

Re: Warp drive

Post #11by Hungry4info » 09.02.2007, 23:12

Admiral2a wrote:The episode with the female captain is the finale of TNG and they are going Warp 13 because it is supposed to be the future.

I would think that attaining a speed greater than infinity would be a bit difficult, even for future (relative to the majority of the show) TNG captains.
Current Setup:

Hungry4info

Post #12by Hungry4info » 09.02.2007, 23:19

Glitch...

I set myself just outside the Sol system, loaded the script, and then engaged maximum warp. I then tried to type in "Alf Cen" (What's the point of testing your brand-new warp drive without a destination?) and noticed that the input from the "a" key was being fed into the warp drive simulator.

Do you plan to make a version of your warp drive for Celestia 1.5.0?
Current Setup:

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #13by selden » 10.02.2007, 04:38

infinite speed = arrive at any destination at the same time that you left your origin.
Celestia can do that. :)

greater than infinite speed = arrive at the destination at a time before you left your origin.

Celestia can do that, too!
Selden

Hungry4info

Post #14by Hungry4info » 10.02.2007, 04:41

selden wrote:infinite speed = arrive at any destination at the same time that you left your origin.
Celestia can do that. :)

greater than infinite speed = arrive at the destination at a time before you left your origin.

Celestia can do that, too!

HAHAHA yep. Lol very true. :lol: :lol:

Edit: Correction: Infinite speed is greater than light speed (just a tad) and thus it would be going back in time anyway, and I believe infinitely fast.

Infinity.. my second favourite number. Makes people think o.O
Current Setup:

Topic author
starfleetengineer

Post #15by starfleetengineer » 10.02.2007, 22:43

Hungry4info wrote:Glitch...
I set myself just outside the Sol system, loaded the script, and then engaged maximum warp. I then tried to type in "Alf Cen" (What's the point of testing your brand-new warp drive without a destination?) and noticed that the input from the "a" key was being fed into the warp drive simulator.
That's expected behaviour...when the script is running, any keys mapped by the script will be passed to it. This is apparently just how keyboard handling is done in celX. The solution is to set your destination before engaging warpdrive. This is, after all how they do it in the show:

"Mr Crusher, set a course for Alfa Centauri."
"Yes Captain."
"Make it so."
:lol:

What do you mean by maximum warp?
Theoretically, there's actually no such thing as maximum warp, as speed will increase exponentially as warp approaches 10. In practice, if you just hold down the A key, then at some point you'll get a floating-point overflow. :)

Hungry4info wrote:Do you plan to make a version of your warp drive for Celestia 1.5.0?
This version works OK in the current stable version of Celestia (1.4.1), so I would expect it to also work in 1.5.0.
Unfortunately in the pre-release I've tried it in (1.5.0pre1), it only works for a while and then crashes. What I notice is that the sensitivity of the throttle sometimes increases by 2 steps instead of one, once it passes 5, and then it crashes for various reasons.
This is my first celX script, so I don't know if it's down to an error in my script, or perhaps a buggy pre-release. (Anyone with more celX experience than me is welcome to look into it. :wink: )
I personally don't see any point in spending time to make it work with a pre-release version...(as it's fine in 1.4.0)... hopefully the official 1.5.0 release will resolve this. If not, then I'll look into it then.
"Once you're in Earth orbit you're half way to almost anywhere in the Universe" - Robert Heinlein

Hungry4info

Post #16by Hungry4info » 11.02.2007, 04:19

Maximum warp being, of course, the total power of my warp engines, at approximately Warp 9.8. Any faster and my computer risks a cascade warp field failure 8O. Not quite ready to eject another warp core (the ultimate bombs :) .)

Still, it's irrelevant as to which velocity I travel at. If warp drive script is engaged, I cannot imput "a" into anything else. But still, it's not a big thing.
Current Setup:

Topic author
starfleetengineer

Post #17by starfleetengineer » 11.02.2007, 12:19

Hungry4info wrote:Maximum warp being, of course, the total power of my warp engines, at approximately Warp 9.8. Any faster and my computer risks a cascade warp field failure 8O. Not quite ready to eject another warp core (the ultimate bombs :) .)

Still, it's irrelevant as to which velocity I travel at. If warp drive script is engaged, I cannot imput "a" into anything else. But still, it's not a big thing.

The problem is, most ascii keys are already mapped for various purposes within Celestia, so it's vitually impossible to avoid conflicts. I tried to choose keys which would cause the least conflict with other functions.
If you know of any keys which aren't currently mapped for other purposes, then let me know.

P.S. You can always edit the script, (it's fairly obvious where), to change the 'A' to a different key, but bear in mind that in doing so, you'll override some other Celestia function, so choose carefully. :wink:

Hungry4info

Post #18by Hungry4info » 11.02.2007, 17:42

I'll probably assign them to one of the F# keys.
Current Setup:

Reiko

Post #19by Reiko » 12.02.2007, 06:05

Piles of sweetness on this one. :D

Topic author
starfleetengineer

Post #20by starfleetengineer » 12.02.2007, 09:47

Hungry wrote:I'll probably assign them to one of the F# keys
My original intention was to map Warp's 1 to 9 to F1-F9, STOP to F10, and throttle to F11/F12, however I couldn't work out how to map the function keys within celX. AFAIK, you can only map ascii keys within CelX. I think the fact that they (the function keys) aren't already used for some purpose within Celestia, speaks volumes. (Maybe one of the DEV's can enlighten us on this)
Good luck with this. Please do let us know if you succeed. :)

Reiko wrote:Piles of sweetness on this one. :D
:lol:

Return to “Add-on development”