an addon for compairing sizes of a number of different stars

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
the bluemarble guy
With us: 21 years 7 months

an addon for compairing sizes of a number of different stars

Post #1by the bluemarble guy » 23.01.2007, 22:06

I want to make an addon that will allow the scale of a number of different stars (such as antares and vv cep) to be compaired. I just want to know what method i should use.

for example, should I set them up as a dsc so i can get the size correct, or would a different method be better, because i would also like to try and have some planets in for size comparison as well.

or, if it has already been done, could someone point me towards it.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #2by selden » 23.01.2007, 22:57

The stars you mention should already be in Celestia. You can compare their sizes by going to a standard distance and looking at them. You can split Celestia's window into separate sections, each viewing one of the stars. This can be done using a .cel script or manually.

Bob Hegwood did this for the planets of the solar system, but I don't know of one that compares Stars. Bob's script titled "Size Comparison" is on the Motherlode on the Web page http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/scripts.php

It probably would be reasonable to extend that for Stars. I'm sure others would be glad to use it if you upload it to the Motherlode.
Selden

Return to “Add-on development”