Im an idiot

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
Hunter Parasite
With us: 18 years 9 months

Im an idiot

Post #1by Hunter Parasite » 26.10.2005, 22:52

Can someone help me? ok, im to slow-minded to understand the ssc part of Seldan balls not so brief introduction to add-ons, can someone tell me how to make a ssc and a stc file?

ziggy
With us: 21 years 3 months

Post #2by ziggy » 14.12.2005, 23:37

Hi,
Maybe you could rephrase this query for a response ; in the meantime....why not try making a copy of an existing ssc, open it with notepad, do a bit of editing, maybe one parameter at a time and temporarily putting it in place of (the safely stored) original, you can learn a lot by trial and error.

Guckytos
With us: 20 years 1 month

Post #3by Guckytos » 15.12.2005, 14:11

Take a look on the motherlode under documentation,

there are documents that explain most commands of the ssc and stc files.

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 4 months

Re: Im an idiot

Post #4by ElChristou » 15.12.2005, 15:19

Hunter Parasite wrote:Can someone help me? ok, im to slow-minded to understand the ssc part of Seldan balls not so brief introduction to add-ons, can someone tell me how to make a ssc and a stc file?

... Selden Ball...

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #5by selden » 15.12.2005, 19:32

Describing yourself as being "too slow" really doesn't help me to improve what I've written. What don't you understand? Please start from the beginning. No question is too stupid.

However, do take the time to read the documentation that's on the MotherLode. You should suggest improvements for those files, too.
Selden

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #6by t00fri » 15.12.2005, 20:23

selden wrote:Describing yourself as being "too slow" really doesn't help me to improve what I've written. What don't you understand? Please start from the beginning. No question is too stupid.

However, do take the time to read the documentation that's on the MotherLode. You should suggest improvements for those files, too.

I have read over here repeatedly that many (young, male(!)) Americans are reading /so little/ these days that the ability of grasping the contents of extended written text is getting lost...

Could there be some truth in this or is is just "bad press"?

Bye Fridger

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #7by selden » 15.12.2005, 20:38

Certainly a lot of attention is being given to the large number of people who don't seem to be able to read well or at all. I don't know if there actually are more illiterates than there used to be or if people are just paying more attention to the problem.

However, I don't think that discussing the problems in the U.S. educational system is appropriate for the Celestia forum.

*sigh*
Selden

Malenfant
With us: 18 years 10 months

Post #8by Malenfant » 15.12.2005, 21:24

Really, sscs and stcs are very straightforward. Roughly speaking, an ssc just tells Celestia what planets and asteroids etc to put in the system and where to put them, and an stc tells it what stars to put in and where to put those.

That said, they obviously use a lot of technical terms (right ascension, declination, semimajor axis, eccentricity, mean anomaly etc) and you need some knowledge of practical astronomy to understand them.

However, if you're not prepared to put in the time to understand those terms (and IIRC they are explained on Selden's site) then you're not going to get anywhere. Selden's explanations are not hard to understand if you're willing to put in the effort, and there are plenty of other sites (eg wikipedia, mathworld/physicsworld) that can explain them too.
My Celestia page: Spica system, planetary magnitudes script, updated demo.cel, Quad system

Juan Marino
With us: 19 years 5 months

Post #9by Juan Marino » 15.12.2005, 21:44

Also i am to slow-minded to understand because the epileptic disease :oops: , but you can open *.ssc and *.stc files with notepad and....

ziggy wrote:you can learn a lot by trial and error.

example --> a job with notepad:

Code: Select all

# download aztec_city.3ds and save in C:\Program files\Celestia\models
# copy and paste this code into notespad and save as tenochtitlan.ssc
# save in C:\Program files\Celestia\extras

"Mexico" "Sol/Earth"
{
Class "city"
Mesh "az_city.3ds"
Radius 0.5
LongLat [-99.14 19.43 0.1]
Orientation [125.3 -24.2 35.5 45]
RotationOffset 166
Color [ 0 0 0 ]
Albedo 0.0001
}

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #10by t00fri » 15.12.2005, 22:10

selden wrote:Certainly a lot of attention is being given to the large number of people who don't seem to be able to read well or at all. I don't know if there actually are more illiterates than there used to be or if people are just paying more attention to the problem.

However, I don't think that discussing the problems in the U.S. educational system is appropriate for the Celestia forum.

*sigh*

I agree, but it might still be instructive to ask our Parasite friend how many "full size" books (with > 100 pages, say) he has read in his life...

Now again you might argue: what's the relation of this question to Celestia? ;-) Hmm, I might answer...his answer will furnish important information about whether Frank's heroic effort to write a great pedagogical manual for Celestia was worthwhile ;-)

Bye Fridger

Return to “Add-on development”