How can I make a difference?

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
KeirenHalcyon92
With us: 19 years 3 months

How can I make a difference?

Post #1by KeirenHalcyon92 » 07.04.2005, 02:56

How can I make a difference in the Celestia comunity?
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but recive eternal life.

The Singing Badger
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #2by The Singing Badger » 07.04.2005, 17:07

That question can't be answered unless you tell us about yourself. :D

Do you have any skills?

Are you a programmer?
Are you good with Photoshop and other image manipulation tools?
Do you have an expert knowledge of astrophysics?
Are you good at designing 3-D models?
Do you enjoy creating fictional planetary systems?
Are you a good writer who can explain complex things in simple language?
Do you enjoy discussing the latest astronomical discoveries?
Are you are a generous and patient person who likes helping out newbies?

All of the above (and probably other things that have slipped my mind) can be invaluable. Tell us what you do.

Topic author
KeirenHalcyon92

Post #3by KeirenHalcyon92 » 07.04.2005, 22:27

I will tell you about me.

Am I a programmer? No.

Am I good with Photoshop and other image manipulation tools? No.

Do I have an expert knowledge of astrophysics? No.

Am I good at designing 3-D models? No.

Do I enjoy creating fictional planetary systems? Yes, but not writing the SSC. files. I usualy copy them from, other systems, but then, I cant make textures, so what the heck!?!

Am I a good writer who can explain complex things in simple language? I am a writer, but it depends on what complex thing you mean.

Do I enjoy discussing the latest astronomical discoveries? Yeah.

Am I a generous and patient person who likes helping out newbies? Generous, sort of, patient, no. I still could help newbies.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but recive eternal life.

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #4by ElChristou » 08.04.2005, 00:33

KeirenHalcyon92 wrote:...Generous, sort of, patient, no...

Ahem... so what are those cross for??? and the God bla bla at the end of your post?? :wink:

The Singing Badger

Post #5by The Singing Badger » 08.04.2005, 00:34

Hey, you're like me! Well meaning but lacking in skills. :( But that's great. People like you and I can help a lot. :) If, while using Celestia, you don't understand anything, or need some advice, just ask about it on these boards. That way, others in the same situation can learn things. And more importantly, the experts with the sophisticated skills will be more aware of what ordinary punters find baffling when using Celestia, and will be able to make the program more user friendly. Don't be afraid to ask about anything- that's the best way to make a difference.

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #6by Rassilon » 08.04.2005, 04:48

Well you can start here:

http://celestialvisions.net/

Read the first news article....
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Guckytos
With us: 20 years 1 month

Post #7by Guckytos » 08.04.2005, 06:18

Very nice Rassilon,

especially the atmosphere tool and the random ssc generator is very much that what i am looking for. Do you think you will also have offline versions of it in the future?

And perhaps one more feature for the ssc generator: an option to say how many planets you want to have in a randomly generated system.

Regards and thanks for the work,

Guckytos

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #8by Rassilon » 08.04.2005, 11:37

There will be a version of random planet generation in DWU that exports to Celestia....The first version however will be limited in controlling what you really want...I will probably make a stand alone editor solely for Celestia sometime in the future that is point and click much like a game map editor...You drag and drop planets where you want them...

This current online version may be saved to your desktop for offline use...

The php one may be a bit tricky....I think all you need do is change the file extention to html but I may be wrong on that...
Last edited by Rassilon on 08.04.2005, 11:43, edited 2 times in total.
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

The Singing Badger

Post #9by The Singing Badger » 08.04.2005, 11:39

Wow! That atmosphere tool is fantastic! :D This could improve my life...

ElChristou
Developer

Post #10by ElChristou » 08.04.2005, 12:17

Rassilon,

Your tools are very useful, this is a good way to learn a little more the way Celestia work... finaly the online version is cool cause it's multipatform.. :)

bye

Topic author
KeirenHalcyon92

Post #11by KeirenHalcyon92 » 09.04.2005, 10:42

Gee, thanks guys. This all helps a lot. One problem. sarcasm isn't portraid well in typed words.

No offence ment Rassilon, but all this praise of you isn't helping me.

alphap1us

Post #12by alphap1us » 10.04.2005, 04:15

KeirenHalcyon92,
In order to help anything you need skills. The most immediate thing you might do is learn a lot about Celestia and answer the questions that newbies ask. You will notice that Selden always patiently answers even the most idiotically phrased questions on the forum. If you could do that instead, it would probably save him and others a lot of time. In the meantime, try learning more about astronomy or computers.

Cheers,
Joe
Last edited by alphap1us on 10.04.2005, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Hegwood
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #13by Bob Hegwood » 10.04.2005, 16:09

KeirenHalcyon92,

Like yourself, I have to answer "NO" to all of the questions put to you above...

However, you should find something that you really enjoy doing in Celestia -
and here on the forum - and just make a pain of yourself for a while. :wink:

I find that I like to create Touring scripts, but you may be good at writing
documentation or tips for beginners...

Again, just find something that you like doing, and see if you can add to the
knowledge pool in that manner.

Just a thought, and I hope that helps.

Take care, Bob
Bob Hegwood
Windows XP-SP2, 256Meg 1024x768 Resolution
Intel Celeron 1400 MHz CPU
Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
OpenGL Version: 1.1.2 - Build 4.13.01.3196
Celestia 1.4.0 Pre6 FT1

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #14by t00fri » 10.04.2005, 16:36

alphap1us wrote:KeirenHalcyon92,
In order to help anything you need skills. The most immediate thing you might do is learn a lot about Celestia and answer the questions that newbies ask. You will notice that Selden always patiently answers even the most idiotically phrased questions the forum. If you could do that instead, it would probably save him and others a lot of time. In the menatime, try learning more about astronomy or computers.

Cheers,
Joe

Indeed, I admire Selden's patience since a long time. I could NEVER manage to "answer even the most idiotically phrased questions" like he does with stoic politeness. My adrenaline "starts boiling", unfortunately, much earlier... ;-)

Bye Fridger

Dollan

Post #15by Dollan » 10.04.2005, 18:35

If I could throw in my own couple of pennies here...

When I first found Celestia, I decided that I would just sort of "live" off of what others were doing. That is, I enjoyed the downloading of other add-ons, textures, scripts, and so forth. But over time, I realized how wonderful this program was, and how perfect it would be as an aid for the visualization of my own setting, the ArcBuilder Universe.

In that light, I came to a single decision that has helped me slowly understand Celestia and, in a round about way, contribute to the program. My advice thus is: work on Celestia for yourself. Decide what you would like to see, and learn about that aspect of the program as time allows. I began by learning how to make SSC files. I'm still learning, although this is more an artifact of my limited time than anything else. In time, I hope to create add ons equal to Runar's incredible add-ons, or Jestr's absolutely wonderful Stargate add-ons.

But for now, I concentrate on creating simple solar system add-ons with textures that are home-made. This suits me for now, and I am content to share them with the Celestia community. In time I will move on beyond that.

So... what are your main interests in Celestia? What would you like to create?

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

ElChristou
Developer

Post #16by ElChristou » 10.04.2005, 23:02

t00fri wrote:...my adrenaline "starts boiling", unfortunately, much earlier...

:) :wink:

Topic author
KeirenHalcyon92

Post #17by KeirenHalcyon92 » 13.04.2005, 11:09

Thanx guys! :D I will give 'answereing the most idioticaly phrased questions' a go. :wink:

ziggy
With us: 21 years 3 months

Post #18by ziggy » 12.05.2005, 22:38

It's just come to me, and I'm so excited... what you could do to make a difference to the Celestia community.....you could tell us all about Jesus!

bh
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #19by bh » 12.05.2005, 22:48

Jesus is dead...let's try to move on. He was also an almighty b*****d, much like his farther...G*D.

Regards...bh.

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #20by selden » 12.05.2005, 23:30

Sorry, guys, but religion is one of the controversial topics which is not allowed on the Celestia forum. Don't take this any further.

A word to the wise...
Selden

Return to “Add-on development”