Red Supergiant Ready For Download

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
Tech Sgt. Chen
With us: 20 years 10 months

Red Supergiant Ready For Download

Post #1by Tech Sgt. Chen » 14.10.2005, 12:24

OK,
I've converted the color on the blue supergiant and here is the result:
I used the PS Astronomical color swatch that is co-developed by NASA which interprets the original color as more orange than red.
I've reduced the stellar spot size enough (I think) to maintain a theoretical, giant, sunspot appearance.

This is a another view of the opposite side:
Additionally, I've maintained a version that is devoid of any spots.
Do you think these spots are still too big? :oops:
Last edited by Tech Sgt. Chen on 16.10.2005, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
Hi guys. Listen, they're telling me the uh,
generators won't take it, the ship is breaking apart and all that. Just, FYI.
(Athlon X2 6000+ Dual Core 3Ghz, 8GB DDR2-800, 500GB SATA 7200RPM HD, 580W,
GeForce 9600GT-512, 64Bit, Vista Home Premium)

maxim

Re: Blue Converted To Red Supergiant

Post #2by maxim » 14.10.2005, 12:59

Tech Sgt. Chen wrote:Do you think these spots are still too big? :oops:

No, they look cool.

But shouldn't the spots be embedded in their environment? A few of them look as if they cut just through the convection cells around them instead of beeing integrated in a seamless flow pattern.

maxim

Topic author
Tech Sgt. Chen

LARGE SUNSPOTS

Post #3by Tech Sgt. Chen » 14.10.2005, 13:30

maxim wrote:
But shouldn't the spots be embedded in their environment? A few of them look as if they cut just through the convection cells around them instead of beeing integrated in a seamless flow pattern.

Absolutely, but I didn't want to go through the trouble of blending them until I get some feedback on their respective size.

eburacum45

Post #4by eburacum45 » 15.10.2005, 20:26

I think they look excellent.

Topic author
Tech Sgt. Chen

Anyone who's interested.

Post #5by Tech Sgt. Chen » 16.10.2005, 13:28

I've posted the Red Supergiant texture on my website for download. Anyone who is interested will find it on my Celestia page.
If you do download it, let me know if you experience any problems and if the resulting file is not intact.
http://www.vocalchordsweb.com/celestia.html

d.m.falk
With us: 19 years 2 months

Post #6by d.m.falk » 17.10.2005, 06:28

Just one thing- Even though your blue supergiant isn't factually accurate, I do suggest you make it available for those who still think the superspot is cool, providing that one caveat. :)

As for this red supergiant, seems a calm one, but you got the concept of the surface convections prtetty good, IMO. (A Betelgeuse type would just be too freaky for most, because of the supersized convection cells it's known to have, being one of the few exosolar stars whose surface is actually observed. Someone earlier had done one, but I think he lost his data. :( )

d.m.f.
)
There IS such a thing as a stupid question, but it's not the question first asked. It's the question repeated when the answer has already been given. -d.m.f.

danielj
With us: 21 years 1 month

Re: Red Supergiant Ready For Download

Post #7by danielj » 17.10.2005, 12:16

Sorry,but it didn??t work.
I renamed the original mstar.jpg to mstar2.jpg and put your Super Giant renamed to mstar.jpg in the med res folder and now the M star "reverted" to the G star texture.
Also,still not related,the same happened to the G stars.I put the 4k gstar.jpg in med res and renamed the original to gstar2.jpg,but the Sun still have the 2k gstar.jpg.
I tried it in the Celestia 1.3.2.

Topic author
Tech Sgt. Chen

Super Convection cells

Post #8by Tech Sgt. Chen » 17.10.2005, 12:35

d.m.falk wrote:
As for this red supergiant, seems a calm one, but you got the concept of the surface convections prtetty good, IMO. (A Betelgeuse type would just be too freaky for most, because of the supersized convection cells it's known to have, being one of the few exosolar stars whose surface is actually observed. Someone earlier had done one, but I think he lost his data.

I couldn't agree more about the supersized convection cells. I was somewhat at a loss to grasp the possibility of such large convection-type cells. I've seen numerous refined pictures and photos of Betelgeuse in differing stages of (for lack of a better description) convectional distortion.
It seem that most of the Astronomical community is jumping on the bandwagon with a few differing opinions on the actual number of cells believed to exist. Some are saying that these large individual cells themselves may possess many smaller sub-cells. This phenomenon of the number of convection cells and their size (specifically with respect to Betelgeuse) was predicted/ postulated by Martin Schwartzschild in a publication as far back as 1975.
Additionally, (and I'd have to recheck my references), I believe that I read several publications that alluded to certain conditions where Red Giants/ Supergiants evolve into Blue Giants/ Supergiants.

As far as creating a likened texture, the difficulties (for me anyway) seem to greatly outway the idea of even trying. As far as I know, Celestia will only render a circular ball-type star. Not one with irregular or non-proportional angles. I will certainly consider posting my version of the Blue Supergiant along with some other theoretical concepts I've been working on. Thanks for the response!

danielj wrote:
I renamed the original mstar.jpg to mstar2.jpg and put your Super Giant renamed to mstar.jpg in the med res folder and now the M star "reverted" to the G star texture.
Also,still not related,the same happened to the G stars.I put the 4k gstar.jpg in med res and renamed the original to gstar2.jpg,but the Sun still have the 2k gstar.jpg.
I tried it in the Celestia 1.3.2.

Gee, that's odd. What type of graphics card and OS are you running? These textures are pretty hefty files that may not load with older cards or integrated graphics.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #9by selden » 17.10.2005, 13:30

TS Chen,

Celestia v1.4.0 allows the use of an arbitrary Mesh for the shape of a star, which should let you use whatever shape of Texture you want, too.
Selden

danielj
With us: 21 years 1 month

Re: Super Convection cells

Post #10by danielj » 17.10.2005, 14:59

My OS is Windows XP SP2 and my video card is a Geforce 6600 GT.
In fact,all my stars were with the same gstar.jpg texture,only the atmosphere was different.I can??t understand why.Maybe in the process of bringing Celestia 1.3.2 tro my new computer,I accidentally copied the star.stc from Celestia 1.4.0 pre 6!?
Now,I reinstalled the program and later I will see if everything is all right.Right now,I can??t because I??m at work and only get home at 20:30.
One more thing.The Super Giant texture is to substitute the mstar.jpg or the BDstar.jpg?

Tech Sgt. Chen wrote:dGee, that's odd. What type of graphics card and OS are you running? These textures are pretty hefty files that may not load with older cards or integrated graphics.

Topic author
Tech Sgt. Chen

Red Supergiant

Post #11by Tech Sgt. Chen » 17.10.2005, 20:08

selden wrote:
Celestia v1.4.0 allows the use of an arbitrary Mesh for the shape of a star, which should let you use whatever shape of Texture you want, too.

That's outstanding! :o I guess I'd better get used to version 1.4.0 ASAP.

danielj wrote:
In fact,all my stars were with the same gstar.jpg texture,only the atmosphere was different.I can??t understand why. Maybe in the process of bringing Celestia 1.3.2 tro my new computer,I accidentally copied the star.stc from Celestia 1.4.0 pre 6!?
Now,I reinstalled the program and later I will see if everything is all right.Right now,I can??t because I??m at work and only get home at 20:30.
One more thing.The Super Giant texture is to substitute the mstar.jpg or the BDstar.jpg?

That sounds more like it and certainly would explain why all of your textures were effected. :wink:

d.m.falk
With us: 19 years 2 months

Re: Super Convection cells

Post #12by d.m.falk » 18.10.2005, 04:20

Tech Sgt. Chen wrote:d.m.falk wrote:
As for this red supergiant, seems a calm one, but you got the concept of the surface convections prtetty good, IMO. (A Betelgeuse type would just be too freaky for most, because of the supersized convection cells it's known to have, being one of the few exosolar stars whose surface is actually observed. Someone earlier had done one, but I think he lost his data.

I couldn't agree more about the supersized convection cells. I was somewhat at a loss to grasp the possibility of such large convection-type cells. I've seen numerous refined pictures and photos of Betelgeuse in differing stages of (for lack of a better description) convectional distortion.

Just goes to show that our universe is anything but dull! :D And that the universe can still leave big surprises. :)

My own speculation on superconvection cells is that this may be a sign of late-stage, pre-(super)nova development, since something like this would mean there's not enough energy to maintain its present size. It means in the not too distant future, therre could be a rather spectacular supernova, as observed from Earth.

We've become accustomed to the idea of a round (or at least oblate) star, and envision all stars similarly, but when you get into stars of this magnatude, what one expects is not likely to be what one sees! :)

Observing a star like Betelgeuse would be a fascinating venture- Imagine observing this bubbling behemoth from one of its remaining companion planets... ;)

d.m.f.
There IS such a thing as a stupid question, but it's not the question first asked. It's the question repeated when the answer has already been given. -d.m.f.

Joey P. M
With us: 6 years 10 months

Post #13by Joey P. » 25.11.2017, 22:40

I could not find the address for the downloadable file. Could you please include it in a reply under the markup?

Joey p.
Joey P.

callix
With us: 6 years 9 months

Post #14by callix » 27.11.2017, 07:23

Can't find it here in my end either.

Return to “Add-on development”