Triple star system, planets and solar system browser

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
FarGetaNik M
With us: 12 years

Triple star system, planets and solar system browser

Post #1by FarGetaNik » 07.06.2012, 14:20

Hello,
this is my first post in this forum :D
I?m working on a fictional solar system, the Ajuma System, with 3 Stars (one double star system and a far red dwarf) and I?m nearly finished. But I got some serios problems:

1. Most importantly, the solar system browser (or howerver it?s called in english) only contains the objects around the Ajuma-Bajam double star, not those orbiting only around Ajuma or the far star Sagari.
2. The temperature of all objects with the barycenter "Doppelstern" is 0 K. Unfortunately a barycenter is not a star -.-

The problem is the thing with barycenters and referencepoints, wich cannot be mixed with stc-files for stars and ssc-files for everything else. stc doesn?t know referencepoint, and stars cannot have a higher order, but I need this for the solar system browser.

3. I got a little problem with the double-planets Xenois und Jovanis, they got a unrealistic axial tilt, I cannot fix. This must have something to do with the reference plane.

I used some textures and models from Celestia Motherlode, or other sources to mix it with others and create my own textures, so I didn?t got the copyright. But most textures are from NASA or Celestia itself. I?ll first upload the ssc and stc files, then I?ll try to upload the textures and models (with my upload speed it?ll take hours :( ).
Please tell me if I can post all textures or just the screenshots or whatever.

Hungry4info
With us: 18 years 9 months

Re: Triple star system, planets and solar system browser

Post #2by Hungry4info » 07.06.2012, 19:45

It sounds like you are using an older version of Celestia, because the temperature description was taken out since it was always so.... inaccurate (doesn't take into account numerous things like atmosphere, etc). I don't know if upgrading to the newest version will solve all your problems though.

About the orientation of the Doppleplanet, I was not able to fix their orientations.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Topic author
FarGetaNik M

Post #3by FarGetaNik » 07.06.2012, 21:00

What is the newest version of Celestia? On the dowload-page
http://www.celestiaproject.net/celestia/download.html
1.6.1 is avaliable, this is exact the version I got.
Thank you for your response. I tried much about the double planet, and I got a similar problem with "Amazonia" and "Carbonos" (the orbit of Carbonos had atilt of 20° without any reason, I fixed it by take the doubled tilt, without knowing it worked o.O but it defenately doesnt work with the axial tilt.

Topic author
FarGetaNik M

Post #4by FarGetaNik » 08.06.2012, 09:13

I uploaded the models:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/84094104/models.zip
Note: Most models are models of Celestia itself, some are from shatters, where I found some free models. (if anybody knows a free model designing software, please tell me ;) )
The Zip also includes 2 updated ssc files for the changed model names.

Topic author
FarGetaNik M

Post #5by FarGetaNik » 08.06.2012, 15:07

Finally, I uploaded the textures in medres (1k):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/84094104/textures.zip
and in hires (up to 4k):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/84094104/hires.zip
Those are not all, because of copyright :/

omega13a M
With us: 12 years 8 months

Post #6by omega13a » 15.07.2012, 22:11

FarGetaNik wrote:1. Most importantly, the solar system browser (or howerver it?s called in english) only contains the objects around the Ajuma-Bajam double star, not those orbiting only around Ajuma or the far star Sagari.

That's an annoying bug in Celestia that I reported months ago ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16762 ). Until it is fixed, there's no practical work around that I am aware of other than to get rid of the barycenters and have the stars in fixed locations (grumbles).
A fish without a bicycle cannot contemplate his navel

My Celestia Add-ons
The Omega Galaxy

Topic author
FarGetaNik M

Post #7by FarGetaNik » 13.08.2012, 15:42

So if its a bug, I can?t fix it yet -.-
I wanted to make a scripted tour, but until I don?t know how to orientate the planets it?s nonsense. So what should I do? Waiting until it?s fixed or let the system how it?s now?
I made nothing for months and suddenly the rings of only one plantet aren?t transparent anymore, only the planet itself is visible trough the rings.

But if I want to upload it, I have to manage the copyright of the textures first and don?t know how... so this project could take a long time...

aurora
With us: 13 years 4 months

Post #8by aurora » 05.10.2012, 05:14

I had the same problem with my quintiple star system (or sextuple, if you count a brown dwarf as a star). I solved (partially) the solar system browser problem by making the stars separate, without orbits. Didn't work with those twin K stars, the Salamandras, which had a half-system each and some circumbinaries. I have to resort to right-clicking on a Salamandra and selecting planets from the right-click menu.

The temperature problem is, sadly, unsolvable, especially with those pesky Salamandras: Celestia only counts temperature from a single star and disregards heat from the other, and counts circumbinaries as dead-frozen. I had to learn to disregard this data field when its Salamandras we're talking about.

Topic author
FarGetaNik M

Post #9by FarGetaNik » 27.12.2012, 15:38

I reorganized the system around the double-star: Every object has the referencepoint "Doppelstern" but is told to belong to Ajuma. Now the inner dwarfplanets and the outer Planets and Asteroids belong to the same star and the major Objects can be selected with the numbers 0-9. But: Still problematic with Sagari. The planets and major objects can be seleced with the numbers, too, but I don?t want the star to be fixed. Well, it?s orbiting very slowly, but thats not my intension.

Right now I?m improving some textures, the transparency problem disappeared... kind of bug. But I got a problem with the Axis of Dedalus (moon-moon of Amphitrite), didn?t recognize it before... the axis should be bound.

The temperature now is displayed, no idea how realistic. My stars were to big and now Sagari is a bit to cool, the "Hot" Jupiter Hars now is only 800K hot. I need more data about the density of Dwarf Stars.

Return to “Add-on development”