Help Please?

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
Vorthon
With us: 15 years 5 months

Help Please?

Post #1by Vorthon » 18.09.2009, 18:07

I am unable to model things in blender, and even if I manage to (and that's a big if), I can't export it. I'm for someone to create 3d models of various spacecrafts, habitats, and spacestations for a (large) addon I'm working. If anyone's interested, I can provide descriptions of them. Help would be greatly appreciated.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Re: Help Please?

Post #2by selden » 18.09.2009, 18:54

The making of models can be separated from converting them to cmod format.
There are several web forums where modellers can be found who might be interested.
One is http://www.scifi-meshes.com/
Its "general requests" forum might be an appropriate place to ask for modelling help..
Selden

cartrite
With us: 19 years
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #3by cartrite » 18.09.2009, 21:26

Vorthon wrote:I am unable to model things in blender, and even if I manage to (and that's a big if), I can't export it.
Blender is a challenge alright. But if you did manage to (and that's a big if), why can't you export it? If my script doesn't work, you can always export to 3ds or waveobject. If you export to 3ds, you can run that in Celestia. If you export to waveobject, you can use Anim8or to export it to 3ds or cmod with Selden's script. But I'm able to export anything with Blender now. You just asked me about in the other thread. Did you even try it?
cartrite
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

Topic author
Vorthon
With us: 15 years 5 months

Post #4by Vorthon » 21.09.2009, 12:30

cartrite wrote:
Vorthon wrote:I am unable to model things in blender, and even if I manage to (and that's a big if), I can't export it.
Blender is a challenge alright. But if you did manage to (and that's a big if), why can't you export it? If my script doesn't work, you can always export to 3ds or waveobject. If you export to 3ds, you can run that in Celestia. If you export to waveobject, you can use Anim8or to export it to 3ds or cmod with Selden's script. But I'm able to export anything with Blender now. You just asked me about in the other thread. Did you even try it?
cartrite

Yes I tried the script, and it deleted the outer ring on a wheel-like space station, and made the spokes of the "wheel" have that weird inside out effect.

And I only ever manage to create fairly simplistic models, nothing of the quality I'd like to use for my addon. Lessons might help though.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #5by t00fri » 21.09.2009, 12:40

cartrite
With us: 19 years
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #6by cartrite » 21.09.2009, 16:49

Vorthon wrote:
Yes I tried the script, and it deleted the outer ring on a wheel-like space station, and made the spokes of the "wheel" have that weird inside out effect.

And I only ever manage to create fairly simplistic models, nothing of the quality I'd like to use for my addon. Lessons might help though.
The script doesn't delete anything. At worst it will overwrite a file if you are not careful. The newest script is "almost" overwrite proof. There is one more thing I can do. If the script encounters an overwrite situation, the original file can be renamed to a backup file.

As far as the "spokes of the wheel having an weird inside out effect", that sounds like the normals are reversed. Sometimes this happens when Blender imports a 3ds file. Also the outer ring may have the appearance of being deleted if it was not selected. The script will only export selected objects. In Blender this can be accomplished by typing "a" to unselect everything and then type "b". This will activate a border select. Hold the left mouse key down and use the cursor to draw a box surrounding an area to select. Then export.
cartrite
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #7by John Van Vliet » 21.09.2009, 19:51

--- edit ---

Return to “Add-on development”