A concept: The Celestia Toolbox

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
Cormoran
With us: 20 years 11 months

A concept: The Celestia Toolbox

Post #1by Cormoran » 18.08.2003, 21:32

There are those of us who enjoy the act of creation that Celestia allows us. For some it is the accurate portrayal of celestial phenomena, and enhancements to the realism of the elements that are part of Celestia's make-up. For others, it is the chance to see objects that exist only in the imagination; New Solar Systems, sunrise on a world near the Orion Nebula etc etc.

I feel there is a small 'gap' in the virtual market, that being tools to assist in the creation of new Solar Systems.

I'm not talking about bulk creation of solar systems, I'm talking about piecemeal tools to ease the translation of ideas into visible Celestia entities. For example:

Asteroid belts in a solar system tend to add, in my mind anyway, a little more reality, but they are a complete swine to create by hand. A tool where one could feed in the particulars of a belt (Inner Radius, Outer Radius, composition, max eccentricity etc), and out the other end comes a fully realised asteroid belt with models assigned from the basic Celestia model library of asteroids and small moons, might be helpful (I've created one such tool, but its a bit rough to go public yet).

That's only one example. I'm sure that others have ideas on this.

I throw this discussion open to the floor. This is the point where there are absolutely no responses and I slink quietly away.

Regards,

Cormoran
'...Gold planets, Platinum Planets, Soft rubber planets with lots of earthquakes....' The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy, Page 634784, Section 5a. Entry: Magrathea

billybob884
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #2by billybob884 » 18.08.2003, 22:44

Actually, there are a few programs floating aroung out there, but a bit simplier than an asteroid-belt generator. There is an atmosphere generator, and a star cluster generator, and probably a few others as well. But i've never heard of an asteroid-belt generator.
Mike M.

TacoTopia!

JackHiggins
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #3by JackHiggins » 18.08.2003, 22:51

On bruckner's site, there was a program which would generate a random asteroid belt around Venus... I don't have it though...
- Jack Higgins
Jack's Celestia Add-ons
And visit my Celestia Gallery too!

Topic author
Cormoran

Post #4by Cormoran » 18.08.2003, 23:22

I have a copy of Rassilon's Atmosphere Generator (Not quite a generator, but exactly the handy kind of tool I'm talking about).

With a little tweaking, my Asteroid belt generator will handle normal Belts (ie: between Mars and Jupiter), Kuiper belts, Oort Clouds, and even ring systems around planets (the first two are easy, but that last one may be a bit more difficult).

Only problem is I have to use the base models for asteroids and small moons from the Celestia package. Custom textures are a doddle for Icy, Chondrite and stony asteroids. I'm wondering about metallic ones, but I think they would look like high-albedo stony/chondrite ones. I tried creating new asteroid models in Amorphium, and I got some nice shapes. They just won't take cylindrically-mapped textures without having this horrible jagged seam.

Anyone with ideas on that one please tell me cos its frustrating :x

Cheers,

Cormoran
'...Gold planets, Platinum Planets, Soft rubber planets with lots of earthquakes....' The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy, Page 634784, Section 5a. Entry: Magrathea

billybob884

Post #5by billybob884 » 18.08.2003, 23:32

You could try taking the models you have, importing them into Anim8or, and try texturing them with that. Just make sure their in 3ds before you try to put them into Anim8or.
Mike M.

TacoTopia!

Topic author
Cormoran

Post #6by Cormoran » 18.08.2003, 23:43

I wasn't aware that Anim8or could do cylindrical mapping. Exported directly from Amorphium in 3ds format, planar mapping works fine. I had a look in the Anim8or docs for cylindrical mapping, but no joy there.

Can anyone advise? (feel free to email me if you think that sub-issue is off-thread)

Regards,

Cormoran

JackHiggins

Post #7by JackHiggins » 19.08.2003, 00:10

anim8or is rubbish for asteroids because they're "shiny" when you export to 3ds... That's why I have "thanks to praesepe..." under all the asteroid models on my site... you'll have to use 3ds max, or maybe theres some other editor out there...?
- Jack Higgins

Jack's Celestia Add-ons

Topic author
Cormoran

Post #8by Cormoran » 19.08.2003, 00:37

I tried remapping them in 3ds too...I think its a problem intrinsic to Amorphium models, which is a shame, cos Amorphium produces such lovely organic shapes :(

Oh well....

I may build a config file into the Asteroid generator so users can enter their own collection of objects? Back to the drawing board :lol:

Any other ideas for tools, anyone?

Cheers,

Cormoran

Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years

Post #9by Evil Dr Ganymede » 19.08.2003, 05:27

JackHiggins wrote:anim8or is rubbish for asteroids because they're "shiny" when you export to 3ds... That's why I have "thanks to praesepe..." under all the asteroid models on my site... you'll have to use 3ds max, or maybe theres some other editor out there...?

'shiny' would be good for metallic asteroids though wouldn't it?

Jeam Tag M
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #10by Jeam Tag » 19.08.2003, 09:43

Hi Jack, Celestians,
JackHiggins wrote:On bruckner's site, there was a program which would generate a random asteroid belt around Venus... I don't have it though...

I've noticed it on my catalog... but i found no mirror site with this addon, so i don't update the address on my page.
This was a Franz-Xaver Schweiger program that i have used to create the screenshots in the picture that i paint on my 'site-like' homepage.
I add it there :
http://minilien.com/?1CCWnMruHD
1/The readme is in french (VenusRing lire.txt) but the original one is in, too.
2/ This program uses a file of the 'Planet texture generator' by the same autor: i have add it in the zip, don't worry!

If it can help :wink:
Jeam
Catalogue des ajouts /Catalog for the Add-Ons in French
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

JackHiggins

Post #11by JackHiggins » 19.08.2003, 14:22

Evil Dr. Ganymede wrote:'shiny' would be good for metallic asteroids though wouldn't it?

It would actually yeah, hadn't thought of that... Most are rocky/icy though aren't they?
- Jack Higgins

Jack's Celestia Add-ons

Topic author
Cormoran

Post #12by Cormoran » 19.08.2003, 17:22

Asteroids can have a number of different compositions:

Icy - I'm assuming not just water ice, but these would be in the outer system
Carbonaceous Chondrites - Darker bodies, its believed Phobos and Deimos are from this class
Metallic - I suppose thse are 'core' material from shattered larger bodies that achieved some degree of differentiation during formation
Stony - classical lumps o' rock

The composition of asteroids (like planets) depends greatly on where they formed. The asteroids we've observed closely tend to be bodies whose surfaces are softened by regolith, so I'm not sure that a metallic asteroid would be shiny.

The Asteroid Belt generator code currently allows one to select the type, independent of distance from the primary star, from the above choices. I think I will add a belt type of 'mixed' to the code.

Jeam, thanks for posting that stuff btw. I'll have to take a look at it in the next few days.

Cheers,

Cormoran

billybob884

Post #13by billybob884 » 19.08.2003, 18:12

Jeam Tag wrote:I add it there :

It brings me to the page, then tries to download the file, but with no success.
Mike M.

TacoTopia!

Jeam Tag M
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #14by Jeam Tag » 19.08.2003, 18:35

billybob884 wrote:
Jeam Tag wrote:I add it there :
It brings me to the page, then tries to download the file, but with no success.

Mhhmm, i don't know what is wrong.
Try this other:
http://jeam.tag.free.fr/Celestia-AddonsVF/VenusRingGenerator-Schweiger.zip
or on the page
http://jeam.tag.free.fr/Celestia-AddonsVF/

Does it worK?
Jeam
Catalogue des ajouts /Catalog for the Add-Ons in French
...PAGES LOSTS, SORRY

Topic author
Cormoran

Post #15by Cormoran » 19.08.2003, 22:24

That first link works fine. Thanks Jeam

Cormoran

billybob884

Post #16by billybob884 » 20.08.2003, 00:20

Jeam Tag wrote:http://jeam.tag.free.fr/Celestia-AddonsVF/VenusRingGenerator-Schweiger.zip

that link works fine, the link they have on the page is http://ftp://jeam.tag@ftpperso.free.fr/ ... (Schweiger).zip and it doesnt work.
Mike M.

TacoTopia!

Tuefish
With us: 17 years 4 months
Location: Just a little to the left of the middle of nowhere, Southern California, USA

Re: A concept: The Celestia Toolbox

Post #17by Tuefish » 19.02.2009, 07:57

I have been looking for days for an asteroid belt generator, does anybody know of one?
"Over Seventy earths spinnin' round in the galaxy, and the meek have inherited not a one."
-Malcolm Reynolds

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 6 months

Post #18by Chuft-Captain » 19.02.2009, 11:33

Fictional or real?

There is this: viewtopic.php?t=11910

which generates the orbits of real asteroids in the solar system.

CC
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

bh

Post #19by bh » 19.02.2009, 19:25

Crikey! Bump City Arizona... where's BillyBob?
regards...bh.

Topic author
Cormoran

Post #20by Cormoran » 18.07.2010, 18:00

Ladies and Gentlemen, after a long absence I am back (making the rash assumption anyone remembers me and my dabblings, such as the (flawed) belt generator (as used by Mr Dollan), bits of the 40 Eridani system that Jestr did (and JJ Abrams promptly blew up) etc etc)....

I have been encouraged by my new fiancee to get back into this stuff (she wants a planet :) ) so hopefully I'll be making some contributions again....

I've been digging out and dusting off my old code and am rewriting it, and I hope someone might find it useful, but either way, its good to be back...

Regards, salutations and other positive stuff,

Cormoran

Return to “Add-on development”