New addon : Orbit of the Solar System in the Milky Way

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Topic author
Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

New addon : Orbit of the Solar System in the Milky Way

Post #1by Cham » 13.11.2008, 03:02

Here's a simple addon (with toggle script) which shows the approximate orbit of our solar system through the Milky Way. The orbit pass through the Cygnus constellation, as for the real global motion around the galaxy. The orbit is also showing the oscillation through the galactic plane (about 2.7 oscillations per revolution around the galactic center) :
GHZ.jpg

On the picture above, the red cursor is showing the actual position of Sol and the orbit is passing through it, of course. The pink arrow is showing the sense of the motion. The addon is also showing the controversial Galactic Habitable Zone (GHZ). Obviously, this addon can't show the motion of the MW's arms while the -fixed in Celestia- Sun is following its path.

Here's the addon (edit the included script as you wish. I'm publishing the French version) :
GHZ.zip

The script gives the usual estimated velocity (~220 km/sec) and revolution period (~240 millions of years).

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

EDIT : Note to self : http://sunnykalara.com/blog/
Last edited by Cham on 13.11.2008, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

MKruer
With us: 21 years 8 months

Re: New addon : Orbit of the Solar System in the Milky Way

Post #2by MKruer » 13.11.2008, 04:17

That’s a pretty sweat add on. I will go as far to say that Chris should add this to the default set on the downloadable.

This might have been brought up before brought up before; should we, by that I mean Chris, include this as a extra level in the Celectia. We already have extra solar planets, why not the orbit of the stars as well?

Cham, can you add 1million year ticks to the orbit.

forexsystemprofi
With us: 15 years 6 months

Re: New addon : Orbit of the Solar System in the Milky Way

Post #3by forexsystemprofi » 18.11.2008, 14:46

Cham wrote:Here's the addon (edit the included script as you wish. I'm publishing the French version)

Thnx a lot. What about English version?

Return to “Add-on development”