Ran III Released

Post requests, images, descriptions and reports about work in progress here.
Nastytang
With us: 16 years 5 months

Re: Ran III Released

Post #21by Nastytang » 18.05.2008, 01:15

rthorvald wrote:
BobHegwood wrote:Don't know if it helps or not, but you can now download these packages from the MotherLode
That won?t help - it is the same server.

But since ibiblio is pretty reliable, i guess he just had a bad connection.

- rthorvald

PS: i noticed you created some nice screenshots!

thanks Bob!!

charter high speed internet how much worst can it get !!!

Nasty
AKA URANUS PAINUS

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 8 months

Post #22by BobHegwood » 18.05.2008, 04:53

Nastytang wrote:thanks Bob!!
charter high speed internet how much worst can it get !!!
Nasty

One other thought for you...
I have recently discovered that some download software does NOT automatically reconnect after a disconnection. You may also wish to change your software configuration in order to make certain that it does re-connect if you get disconnected during a download. I actually bought a different piece of software to get this right on my system, but I'm pretty sure that most download software can be configured to do this automatically.

Just more information from some Brain-Dead Bozo. :wink:
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

Nastytang
With us: 16 years 5 months

Post #23by Nastytang » 20.05.2008, 00:59

some download software
No download software!!

it just may have been the file as big as it is !!!!

first time I got 422 mb said it was done the second time it was about 954 mb said it was 100% and done the third time the charm i got it all!!
I`ve d/l bigger files the this one just one of those things i guess !!!

thanks again for your help Bob

Nasty
AKA URANUS PAINUS

Milosz21
With us: 16 years 1 month

Post #24by Milosz21 » 22.05.2008, 00:30

Superb job, give me more ideas to make my own systems, man you are my idol.

Again thanks man my jaw land on the foor and almost fall with my chair :D

F* AMAZING !!!!!!!! 8)

danielj
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #25by danielj » 22.05.2008, 20:28

I was astonished HOW HEAVY this addon is!It appears that it demands a lot of CPU power that I simply don?t have.
For general views of moons and planets,and even individual models,the perfomance is OK.Butwith lots of things on screen,specially the hundreds of asteroids,thing get pretty slow.Other thing that you slow down a bit is to enable the Trifida nebula at the same time there is a planet and a moon.And I?m talking about the basic package.I have no idea which computer is required to run the complete package in a reasonable frame rate.
The strangest thing is that rhtovald promisse that Ran III would be much more lighter,and I am seeing the opposite.Maybe the addons needs some tweaks...

My system
Athlon64 X2 3800 "Manchester core" socket 939
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
2 GB RAM DDR 400
XFX 8800 GS Alpha Dog 580/1400
2XHD 160 GB Seagate Barracuda SATA
DVD RW LG 4163B
Creative PC Works 2.1
PSU Thermaltake TT420 w0009
Windows XP (driver 175.16)
Windows Vista (driver 169.32)

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #26by selden » 22.05.2008, 21:11

Any frame rate at all is a reasonable frame rate for Ran III ;)

When you select a section a second time, it runs more smoothly, of course.
The first time through any of them, Celestia has to pause to load the models and textures.

Patience is needed to enjoy its beauty.
Selden

Topic author
rthorvald
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #27by rthorvald » 22.05.2008, 22:08

danielj wrote:For general views of moons and planets,and even individual models,the perfomance is OK.Butwith lots of things on screen,specially the hundreds of asteroids,thing get pretty slow.Other thing that you slow down a bit is to enable the Trifida nebula at the same time there is a planet and a moon.And I?m talking about the basic package.
danielj, one simple step to get better performance is to go into the th_motw folder and disable or remove the file "th_02_ran_extras.ssc". This will remove several thousand nameless objects (like asteroids, small moons, a large part of the wormhole world skybox, etc). The scenario itself will not be affected, only a lot of background that adds to the realism.

Of course, you can also turn on the lo-res textures - that will help a lot.

danielj wrote:I have no idea which computer is required to run the complete package in a reasonable frame rate.
I have run it successfully on an iMac G5 with a modest 64 MB graphics card. It was my comparison all through the development - if i could not run anything on that machine, i took it out. But of course it will be slow at times, since the scenario is very large. That is actually one of the reasons why it is spread out over time (so not too many objects can be visible at once).

danielj wrote:rhtovald promisse that Ran III would be much more lighter,and I am seeing the opposite.Maybe the addons needs some tweaks...
Well, it *is* much lighter. All the models and textures in it is optimized and are a smaller and more memory-efficient than their counterparts in Ran III. But there are more of them!

- rthorvald

mikej
With us: 18 years 2 months

Post #28by mikej » 24.05.2008, 08:46

I have tried to download the hi-res pack 4 times now ( 3 is usually my limit! ) Twice the download was "complete" when it was not. The other times it just kept running not doing anything. I tried a download manager- would not work at all! Mozilla has a "resume" feature for downloads which also failed.
It is a shame that work such as yours is so poorly supported! I have the "basics" and will enjoy your work although I would be much happier if I could see all of the art.
Thank you for this adventure and for your past works!

Michael
Michael

Spaceman M
With us: 17 years 4 months

Post #29by Spaceman » 24.05.2008, 13:27

I downloaded it. I just can't describe how great it is :D :D :D Good job Runar :D :D :D
"Any sufficiently advanced extraterrestrial intelligence is indistinguishable from God"
Michael Shermer

My addons: Nemesis, Ursa Minor Dwarf Galaxy Stars

ajtribick
Developer

Post #30by ajtribick » 24.05.2008, 17:44

Interesting that this did not make the Motherlode frontpage, which is still displaying the Educational Activities 2007 as the big new add-on...

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 8 months

Post #31by BobHegwood » 24.05.2008, 18:55

ajtribick wrote:Interesting that this did not make the Motherlode frontpage, which is still displaying the Educational Activities 2007 as the big new add-on...

What do you mean by "interesting?"
Are you saying that there is some prejudice against Runar? I can assure you that this is NOT the case.
It is far more likely that Ulrich has had many other things to worry about. :wink:
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

ajtribick
Developer

Post #32by ajtribick » 24.05.2008, 19:02

BobHegwood wrote:What do you mean by "interesting?"
Are you saying that there is some prejudice against Runar? I can assure you that this is NOT the case.
No, not saying that. Just thought the Motherlode would want to advertise the big new add-on more prominently than it currently is...

danielj

Post #33by danielj » 25.05.2008, 17:28

Without the "th_02_ran_extras.ssc",it?s NO CHALLENGE AT ALL,running Ran III above 30 fps,and generally above 60 fps.The only place I get slower frame rates are in the Orrery,running at around 12 fps.

rthorvald wrote:
danielj wrote:For general views of moons and planets,and even individual models,the perfomance is OK.Butwith lots of things on screen,specially the hundreds of asteroids,thing get pretty slow.Other thing that you slow down a bit is to enable the Trifida nebula at the same time there is a planet and a moon.And I?m talking about the basic package.
danielj, one simple step to get better performance is to go into the th_motw folder and disable or remove the file "th_02_ran_extras.ssc". This will remove several thousand nameless objects (like asteroids, small moons, a large part of the wormhole world skybox, etc). The scenario itself will not be affected, only a lot of background that adds to the realism.

Of course, you can also turn on the lo-res textures - that will help a lot.

danielj wrote:I have no idea which computer is required to run the complete package in a reasonable frame rate.
I have run it successfully on an iMac G5 with a modest 64 MB graphics card. It was my comparison all through the development - if i could not run anything on that machine, i took it out. But of course it will be slow at times, since the scenario is very large. That is actually one of the reasons why it is spread out over time (so not too many objects can be visible at once).

danielj wrote:rhtovald promisse that Ran III would be much more lighter,and I am seeing the opposite.Maybe the addons needs some tweaks...
Well, it *is* much lighter. All the models and textures in it is optimized and are a smaller and more memory-efficient than their counterparts in Ran III. But there are more of them!

- rthorvald

Topic author
rthorvald

Post #34by rthorvald » 26.05.2008, 15:43

Without the "th_02_ran_extras.ssc",it?s NO CHALLENGE AT ALL
Great!

On a different note, i know some things are buried pretty deep in there, so here?s a little teaser.
Has anyone found this wonderful holiday resort yet?

- rthorvald :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

zhar2
With us: 16 years 3 months

Post #35by zhar2 » 26.05.2008, 15:48

Well i found most i think, i just look at the medres graphics for interesting stuff, then correlate it with the ssc file and then go there in celestia.

Topic author
rthorvald

Post #36by rthorvald » 26.05.2008, 15:50

zhar2 wrote:Well i found most i think, i just look at the medres graphics for interesting stuff, then correlate it with the ssc file and then go there in celestia.

Cheating! :wink:

- rthorvald

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 6 months

Post #37by Chuft-Captain » 26.05.2008, 16:51

Runar,

I think you're going to have to begin obsfucating your textures. :lol:
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

Topic author
rthorvald

Post #38by rthorvald » 26.05.2008, 17:02

Chuft-Captain wrote:I think you're going to have to begin obsfucating your textures. :lol:
The above image is impossible to locate via the medres folder / ssc file... And the brochure is just a tiny part of the scene, so...
Of course one can examine the CMODs. They are ASCII, so that?s convenient ;-)

- rthorvald

zhar2
With us: 16 years 3 months

Post #39by zhar2 » 26.05.2008, 17:27

Theres always a way.....

i alwats thought ASCII "images" where rather low res, and there isnt much place where to hide images, so if they are not in the texture folders they must be in the models.

Any way my experiece in celestia is still at beginner level in my opinion so you may have some secrets up yous sleave i dont know :lol:

And by the way hats obsfucating?

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #40by selden » 26.05.2008, 18:03

ASCII CMOD = text format Celestia MODel file (not an image)

obfuscate = to make obscure or unclear
Selden

Return to “Add-on development”