dds to jpg

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
David
With us: 19 years 7 months

dds to jpg

Post #1by David » 10.04.2005, 19:02

My Graphics card des not support dds and the vast majority of virtual textures are dds how can i convert them to jpg .

i have photoshop 8.0 and photo studio. but it cant open dds
is there a plugin for either of these programs or can VT creators make jpg versions of there addons

Thanks

david
Celestia 1.3.2-1 and 1.4.0-6
iMac G3
Mac OS X 10.3.7
500 MHz CPU
512Mb SDRAM
ATI Rage 128 Pro 2 16Mb VRAM

The Singing Badger
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #2by The Singing Badger » 10.04.2005, 19:57

I believe you can use IrfanView to convert dds files to jpg. It can also do batch conversion, to speed up the process of converting the large numbers of files in VTs.

http://www.irfanview.com

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Re: dds to jpg

Post #3by t00fri » 10.04.2005, 20:06

David wrote:My Graphics card des not support dds and the vast majority of virtual textures are dds how can i convert them to jpg .

i have photoshop 8.0 and photo studio. but it cant open dds
is there a plugin for either of these programs or can VT creators make jpg versions of there addons

Thanks

david

Are you really sure that your card does not support DDS?? I had a Rage Pro 128 with 32 MB a long time ago which I seem to remember did support dds...Could it be perhaps that you simply did something wrong?

16MB is a real chore though ;-) .

You are surely aware that converting one lossy format (DDS) into another one (JPG) cannot get you into "paradise" ;-)

Bye Fridger

julesstoop

Post #4by julesstoop » 10.04.2005, 21:04

@Singin' Badger: Unfortunately there's no IrfanView for Mac OS.
Graphic converter would be an alternative but unfortunately does not reckognize DDS.

@Fridger:
I'm pretty shure his card doesn't support it. My older G4 (with virtually the same graphics subsystem) has the same problem. It's probably due to lack of support by ATI on the Mac-side of things.
Lapinism matters!
http://settuno.com/

t00fri
Developer

Post #5by t00fri » 10.04.2005, 21:16

julesstoop wrote:@Singin' Badger: Unfortunately there's no IrfanView for Mac OS.
Graphic converter would be an alternative but unfortunately does not reckognize DDS.

@Fridger:
I'm pretty shure his card doesn't support it. My older G4 (with virtually the same graphics subsystem) has the same problem. It's probably due to lack of support by ATI on the Mac-side of things.

Aha! ;-)

No idea about "the Mac-side of things" ...

Bye Fridger

Don. Edwards
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #6by Don. Edwards » 10.04.2005, 22:17

Hey Guys,
Its not ATI's lack of OpenGL fetures for the Mac as the cards are based on the chips. ATI gives Apple the driver packages and then it is up to Apple to implement features not ATI. That is the problem with a closed patform. Apple pulled a fast one several years ago when OS X first came out. The beta version had full support for the ATI Rage chips with full aceleration of that times OpenGL feature set. But Apple decided to cut features from the drives in an effort to get the followers to move onto the next generation Macs that they put all the features on. This inraged many loyal Mac followers to the poin t of some even leaving the Mac platform altogether. I was nearly one of them. I still have my old biege G3 and I run OS X on it but of course there is no 3D or OpenGL support the thing. Apple is very well known for tricks like this.
If you are using a Mac you can find ATI 7300 PCI cards that will support more features in OpenGL. If you hunt around eBay you can find one for about $35 to 50 dollars US.
Good Luck

Don. Edwards
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

julesstoop

Post #7by julesstoop » 10.04.2005, 23:03

Don, thanks for clarifying.
I pinpointed the cause but was misinformed regarding the culprit...
Lapinism matters!

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #8by ElChristou » 10.04.2005, 23:08

julesstoop wrote:Graphic converter would be an alternative but unfortunately does not reckognize DDS.

Hi,

The last version of Graphic Converter does... (5.4)

Bye

julesstoop

Post #9by julesstoop » 11.04.2005, 05:29

Thanks for the info! I didn't know that yet.
Turns out I was very misinformed :lol:
Lapinism matters!

Return to “Textures”