Airbrushed Jupiter Map - DEAD

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
MrSpace43
With us: 6 years 10 months

Airbrushed Jupiter Map - DEAD

Post #1by MrSpace43 » 19.06.2022, 22:35

Back in 1984, a film called "2010: The Year We Make Contact" (which is the sequel to the classic 1968 film, "2001: A Space Oddysey"), featured a CGI animated Jupiter that while dated, still looks visually pretty.
2010 Movie Jupiter.jpg

The planet's texture was made from scratch using real data from Voyager 2 as reference, due to the original data being too low in quality for use in a feature film. The airbrushed map was posted in a blog about how they made Jupiter in the film.

Here's what the texture looks like:
2010 Movie Jupiter Airbrushed Map.jpg

While it is kinda dated as of now (especially because we now have higher resolution textures of the planet made from data from other spacecraft), I would like to see if I can try to make this texture usable by upscaling it, cleaning it up, and color-adjusting it to look more visually appealing for use in Celestia, and 3D renderings. That is, once I either get my current PC repaired or, more likely, get a new PC and have everything transferred to it.
Been into Astronomy since the age of 3 or 4. Started making planetary textures back in late 2016. 3D animator who makes high quality animations in Cinema 4D. Likes to sometimes, deliberately torment myself with the stupid green screaming apatosaurus that is Arlo.

My addons page: https://celestiaproject.space/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22167

Return to “Textures”