Grand Tour Titan

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
Shadow-Dragon-777
With us: 2 years 6 months

Grand Tour Titan

Post #1by Shadow-Dragon-777 » 10.02.2022, 16:59

Titan is best classified as an "Ice Earth" when it comes to the variety of terrain on it. It has dunes, volcanoes, seas, rivers, mountains, a thick atmosphere with clouds. It is the only object besides Earth with a nitrogen atmosphere and stable bodies of liquid.
This texture pack replaces everything surface-wise on Titan with:
A 64K color surface texture
Extra detail on the Huygens landing site up to level 12
A 16K specular texture of Titan's seas
A 2K normal map
An 8K cloudmap
1K Cloud frequency map
2K Dune Direction map
1K Reflectivity
2K Emission
2K Geology
2K Topography
16K VIMS
These textures use all known data of Titan that can be access and compiled in a reasonable amount of time.
Titan Seas.png
Sunlight glares from Kraken Mare

Titan's Seas with bump map
Huygens Level 12.png
The Huygens landing site up to Level 12

Detail of the Huygens landing site up to level 12

MEGA DOWNLOAD GRAND TOUR TITAN

This is my first add-on for Celestia. I have decided to name my texture series I will be doing of the Solar System; the Grand Tour, after the original name for the Voyager probes. The Grand Tour will milk all possible detail on every scientifically mapped solar system body up to 64K resolution and closeups where landings happened as well as specular and bumpmaps where possible.

Special thanks to Ian Regan for the ISS basemap, the USGS for the RADAR swaths, those at Cornell University for the topography, those at NASA/ESA for sending the best mission of discovery since Voyager to Saturn, and Don Bluth for the awesome soundtrack of Titan A.E. cause that movie is awesome!
Last edited by Shadow-Dragon-777 on 31.07.2022, 21:39, edited 7 times in total.

trappistplanets
With us: 3 years 11 months

Post #2by trappistplanets » 10.02.2022, 17:46

MEGAPOG!!!
i need to try this out when i am on my home PC and not a school chromebook
There is a limit to how far we can travel into the stars.
Owner of "The Grand Voyage" addon series
Collaborating with Dangerous_safety for the still developing Cer system

Topic author
Shadow-Dragon-777

Post #3by Shadow-Dragon-777 » 13.02.2022, 19:06

You gotta! You can even see the Huygens lander detail near the western edge of Shangri-La along the equator!

john71
With us: 7 years 9 months

Post #4by john71 » 14.02.2022, 14:21

I've got a Windows 10 Presenoker PUA = Potentially Unwanted Application warning.

Topic author
Shadow-Dragon-777

Post #5by Shadow-Dragon-777 » 15.02.2022, 17:27

That shouldn't be happening. All it is is a 7zip file with the mentioned stuff for Celestia. There are no applications or PUPs in it.

Added after 2 hours 26 minutes:
Found a bigger topographic map of Titan that I will be using to upsize the bump map to 2K with, link will be down for an hour before I upload the new one.

Added after 1 hour 16 minutes:
Edit: give it several hours. Apparently, Mega throttles your uploads if they are big enough. Dial up is faster!

Added after 2 hours 6 minutes:
Addon has been updated with a 2K bump map!!!

Topic author
Shadow-Dragon-777

Post #6by Shadow-Dragon-777 » 04.06.2022, 21:28

I have constructed an 8K cloudmap for Titan after seeing how janky the default cloud map is. (which is just an old contrast decreased Venus texture) Using a map from tRetro-Visor in the Space Engine forums, I added the polar vortexes on Titan as well as the slight two tone coloration that even Voyager imaged. Instead of a Venus knockoff, it's now a realistically colored Titan cloudmap.
Titan Clouds.png
Titan's haze in its full near-featureless glory, save for a storm at the south pole, banding features at the north and a slight two-tone hemispheric brightness.

Another thing, when I uploaded this, there was some mentioning the bumpmap had unusually long shadows. Apparently, I forgot to divide by 2 the difference between the elevation extremes in the ssc. This is now fixed.

Topic author
Shadow-Dragon-777

Post #7by Shadow-Dragon-777 » 31.07.2022, 21:41

I added several alternate textures including topography and the VIMS color map. Some of these maps have legends which are included in the 7z file.
Titan Geology.png
Titan geologic map with legend open in side window.

Return to “Textures”