Neptune Clouds

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
praesepe
With us: 21 years 11 months

Neptune Clouds

Post #1by praesepe » 03.12.2002, 01:12

Well, here's a new experiment, after making the rings for Neptune i decided there was some work that could be done on the planet and tried a cloud texture :P

Take a look at this:

http://www.la-guarida.com/Celestia/Imag ... clouds.avi

comments and suggestions welcome :P

Note:: the avi file is compressed in DiVX 5 so make sure you've got the proper codecs.
Greets :P

praesepe

Troy
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #2by Troy » 03.12.2002, 07:00

Hello,

That's not a bad start. The biggest recommendation I can make from the avi is that you won't want the white cloud whisps to move through the great dark spot. I would just move that whisp somewhere else and avoid the spot completely since Celestia can't warp the cloud texture around it. :)

You might also want to play with the cloud texture speed. Specificly, you might want to lower it. It's hard for me to tell since the avi is time compressed, but I would think that the white whisps don't move quite that fast in relation to the spot.

What size texture are you using?
Troy Corbin Jr.
Member: Triton Tourism Board
http://knights.sourceforge.net

Topic author
praesepe
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #3by praesepe » 03.12.2002, 17:24

Thanks a lot for your suggestion Troy, i've fixed the bug of clouds moving throug the dark spot. here's another avi:

http://www.la-guarida.com/Celestia/Imag ... louds2.avi

I've used a 1000x speed setting in Celestia when recording the movie. For now i am using a CloudSpeed 200 setting but i don't really know if it is the real one... umm i think it's time to ask if anybody knows the real speed that clouds on Neptune move :wink:

I am using a 2k dds texture for Neptune and 1k png for the clouds.
Greets :P

praesepe

Frank G

Where can I download your 2k dds texzture of Neptune?

Post #4by Frank G » 27.12.2002, 08:03

I've been looking for a good dds texture of Neptune. Do you have one I can download, or can you direct me to the website where one can be found? Thanks.
Frank

granthutchison
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #5by granthutchison » 29.12.2002, 01:18

praesepe wrote:umm i think it's time to ask if anybody knows the real speed that clouds on Neptune move

The Great Dark Spot, at 22 degrees south, went once around in 18.3 hours.
The cirrus moved faster than the underlying clouds. During the Voyager encounter, a bright white patch at 42 degrees south was dubbed "Scooter" because it had the fastest rotation of the various white cirrus patches - 16.8 hours.

Grant

PS: To get the cirrus shadows right, the cirrus cloud layer should be 40-50km above the blue cloud "surface" of the planet.

Return to “Textures”