Future Earth textures

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
Spaceman M
With us: 17 years 4 months

Future Earth textures

Post #1by Spaceman » 30.10.2008, 10:25

Hello :D

Using addon from other creators, i start the creation of a simulation that shows how the Solar System may looks like in the next centuries :mrgreen: . Until now i have a Colonized Mercury, a Terraformed Venus, a Colonized Moon and a Terraformed Mars. But how about Earth? Is there a texture that shows how Earth may look like into the future? Not billion years from now but some centuries from now. Not a dead world please :wink:
"Any sufficiently advanced extraterrestrial intelligence is indistinguishable from God"
Michael Shermer

My addons: Nemesis, Ursa Minor Dwarf Galaxy Stars

bdm
With us: 18 years 10 months

Re: Future Earth textures

Post #2by bdm » 30.10.2008, 11:50

Maybe one that shows what could happen if all the ice melts. Greenland verdant, cows grazing in Antarctica, and all our major coastal cities underwater because sea levels have gone up 100 metres.

PlutonianEmpire M
With us: 19 years 9 months

Post #3by PlutonianEmpire » 31.10.2008, 23:54

bdm wrote:Maybe one that shows what could happen if all the ice melts. Greenland verdant, cows grazing in Antarctica, and all our major coastal cities underwater because sea levels have gone up 100 metres.
Imagine coral building up on all those famous landmarks. :D

Sadly, I hear that coral thrives only in cooler global climates. :(
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

MKruer
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #4by MKruer » 01.11.2008, 06:08

What a bunch of doom and gloom people. Why not gust skip to the end and place the Venus texture on earth. That being said providing we can prevent the ever looming doomsday. Let assume that technology has acutely solved our problem. That being said, future earth may not be that much different then from what we know now, perhaps even slightly more Utopian. Power, health plagues, Resources are now things of the past now that we have ventured out into our own back yard, and understand how everything form biology to quantum physics works.

That beings said, this is how I imagine were we could be in a few hundred years.

Parts of the earth will be declared sanctuary areas allowing the "wide life" to continue unabated. Smaller existing cities will grow up into the new New York's or Tokyo's. Urban creep will be stopped to preserve the nature environment, making it economically more attractive to start populating the ocean with mega-floats the size of large cities. Everything will be interconnected and it would possible to travel by meg-lev around the world without getting your feet wet. There will be space elevators around the equator, giving easy access to space.

Roll forward a few hundred more years near space will be populated with Stanford torus, O'Neill cylinder, and Bernal sphere. There could also be an Orbital Habitat Ring*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_large ... _structure
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_torus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Neill_cylinder
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernal_sphere

* This structure would be like a Halo type object, but would be placed around the earth, and not just floating around in space. It would be/could be the new tethered end of the space elevator. Slightly beyond the geostationary orbit to create some gravity. If the ring was only 50km wide, and that might be small and with diameter of 85,000km, the surface area of this ring would be about equal to that of the entire landmass of earth. Not bad huh?

Here is a small shot of earth from an anime call Gunbuster 2. The ring in the image is obvious not to scale.

SiriusCG
With us: 16 years 3 months

Post #5by SiriusCG » 01.11.2008, 13:09

Frankly, I thought the vision of the Earth as colonized by the Borg in the ST:NG movie "First Contact" was interesting...

Topic author
Spaceman M

Post #6by Spaceman » 03.11.2008, 16:33

I discovered a nice futuristic night texture of Earth from here, that shows how Earth may looks like at night 3 centuries into the future. I also remember a future texture of Earth from the Educational Activities, that shows Earth at a new ice age, but i can't find it :(
Is there an another future Earth texture? Not a dead world please.
Last edited by Spaceman on 13.11.2008, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced extraterrestrial intelligence is indistinguishable from God"
Michael Shermer

eburacum45
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #7by eburacum45 » 10.11.2008, 18:34

For the far future Earth in the Orion's Arm scenario, I personally use the 18000 bc model by Don Edwards; after the oil runs out, and the great mass of humanity have left the planet, the world becomes a nature reserve; in this condition the world enters the next ice age, complete with retroengineered mammoths and neandertals.

For the near-future OA Earth I need a map of the planet with a something like a 10 metre sea level rise- this certainly doesn't mean the end of the world, but it does mean that geography of the coastline is significantly changed. Our planet has experienced many sea-level changes in the past, and it will in the future.

Topic author
Spaceman M

Post #8by Spaceman » 27.09.2009, 19:48

eburacum45 wrote:For the far future Earth in the Orion's Arm scenario, I personally use the 18000 bc model by Don Edwards; after the oil runs out, and the great mass of humanity have left the planet, the world becomes a nature reserve; in this condition the world enters the next ice age, complete with retroengineered mammoths and neandertals.

I'm looking for this map but it removed from Celestia Motherlode :(
Does anybody knows from where can i find it?
Michael Shermer

PlutonianEmpire M
With us: 19 years 9 months

Post #9by PlutonianEmpire » 27.09.2009, 20:02

Spaceman wrote:
eburacum45 wrote:For the far future Earth in the Orion's Arm scenario, I personally use the 18000 bc model by Don Edwards; after the oil runs out, and the great mass of humanity have left the planet, the world becomes a nature reserve; in this condition the world enters the next ice age, complete with retroengineered mammoths and neandertals.

I'm looking for this map but it removed from Celestia Motherlode :(
Does anybody knows from where can i find it?
I am unsure as to whether you'll be able to find those textures on the internet anymore.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12592&start=75

The top post on the page I just linked is why.
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 2 months

Post #10by Fenerit » 27.09.2009, 22:04

Just curious here: how do you think to doing for the garbages' resulting by such Earth like Coruscant (Trantor)? These future visions as products of 50's have left we with the global warming problem.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Reiko
With us: 17 years 8 months

Post #11by Reiko » 30.09.2009, 16:14

Fenerit wrote:Just curious here: how do you think to doing for the garbages' resulting by such Earth like Coruscant (Trantor)? These future visions as products of 50's have left we with the global warming problem.
Maybe there will be a way to recycle the pollutants or shed the heat into space. How such things would be done I have no clues.

eburacum45
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #12by eburacum45 » 04.10.2009, 01:46

For the Orion's Arm scenario, we assume that global warming is a temporary problem. Carbon dioxide emissions will gradually decline once the use of fossil fuels becomes uneconomic; solar power, other renewables and nuclear power of various kinds will fill the gap. But the CO2 will remain in the atmosphere; to remove it will take various not-yet-invented sequestration techniques, not all of which will work. So the Earth will be hot for several uncomfortable centuries.

Another way this heat excess can be combatted is by the construction of a partial sunshade in orbit or at the L1 point.

Eventually (in the Orion's Arm scenario) the Earth becomes a vast nature reserve, forbidden to all but a very few tourists. After a few thousand years the next ice age begins (hence the use of Don's texture).

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 2 months

Post #13by Fenerit » 04.10.2009, 22:34

Ok. Another problem; add more reflective buildings does increase the Earth's albedo: could this variation increase the relation Seebeck-Debye involved in the global warming?
Never at rest.
Massimo

Reiko
With us: 17 years 8 months

Post #14by Reiko » 05.10.2009, 22:46

eburacum45 wrote:For the Orion's Arm scenario, we assume that global warming is a temporary problem. Carbon dioxide emissions will gradually decline once the use of fossil fuels becomes uneconomic; solar power, other renewables and nuclear power of various kinds will fill the gap. But the CO2 will remain in the atmosphere; to remove it will take various not-yet-invented sequestration techniques, not all of which will work. So the Earth will be hot for several uncomfortable centuries.

Another way this heat excess can be combatted is by the construction of a partial sunshade in orbit or at the L1 point.

Eventually (in the Orion's Arm scenario) the Earth becomes a vast nature reserve, forbidden to all but a very few tourists. After a few thousand years the next ice age begins (hence the use of Don's texture).
What if you built giant radiators that reach up to space?

Return to “Textures”