NMtools question

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
Ozark
With us: 17 years 2 months

NMtools question

Post #1by Ozark » 09.08.2007, 02:26

I've searched the forum and haven't found an answer to my question. Do the nmtools ONLY work for binary height maps or will they work with say, Bump Maps, or Embossed images? I know they do not work for RGB images but so far I have only been able to use them with the SRTM .bin files for Earth. :? :?
OZARK

Celestia 1.5.0
Windows XP Home Edition
Pentium 3.4 ghz E.E
2GB ddr Ram
Radeon 9550 AGP 256 mb

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Re: NMtools question

Post #2by t00fri » 09.08.2007, 07:19

Ozark wrote:I've searched the forum and haven't found an answer to my question. Do the nmtools ONLY work for binary height maps or will they work with say, Bump Maps, or Embossed images? I know they do not work for RGB images but so far I have only been able to use them with the SRTM .bin files for Earth. :? :?

The home of my nmtools package is our CelestialMatters site (click on the CM icon below). There you also find my detailed step-by-step tutorial. The nmtools are made for people to obtain huge scientific grade normalmaps with normal home computers. Hence the input is for 16 bit binary elevation maps. Scientific elevation maps are ALWAYS published this way, somtimes, signed, sometimes unsigned.

Bye Fridger

Topic author
Ozark
With us: 17 years 2 months

Post #3by Ozark » 09.08.2007, 11:15

Hi Fridger

The home of my nmtools package is our CelestialMatters site (click on the CM icon below). There you also find my detailed step-by-step tutorial. The nmtools are made for people to obtain huge scientific grade normalmaps with normal home computers. Hence the input is for 16 bit binary elevation maps. Scientific elevation maps are ALWAYS published this way, somtimes, signed, sometimes unsigned.

Yes I am aware of this, and i have great normal map of earth on my computer. BTW thanks for those tools, they worked great for me. However i have searched all over the net, specifically for elevation data for Mars, but keep coming up with maps like this:

http://jmars.asu.edu/data/mola_color/

I have also found these files:

http://pds-geosciences.wustl.edu/geodat ... 0x/meg128/

But not sure what i will do with them, because the map is in tiles. Are there any other elevation data maps for anything besides Earth?

I am also looking forward to the release of your txtools. I know I could dnlwd the color map from from Jestr, but i wished to make my own set of RGB tiles.

Ozark
OZARK

Celestia 1.5.0

Windows XP Home Edition

Pentium 3.4 ghz E.E

2GB ddr Ram

Radeon 9550 AGP 256 mb

cartrite
With us: 19 years
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #4by cartrite » 09.08.2007, 16:36

Ozark,
But not sure what i will do with them, because the map is in tiles. Are there any other elevation data maps for anything besides Earth?

As far as I know, NMtools does not work on tiles. The code that deals with spherical corrections treat each tile as a sphere instead of a part of the whole. I may be wrong about that. There may be a way of doing it correctly. Fridger would have to answer that one.
The old way of doing normalmaps was to use nm16. If you use the search engine I think there should be a Windows version around somewhere.
The meg128 files are a bit tricky to work with too. There is NO data from 88n to 90n and 88s to 90s. You'll have to use part of meg64 files to patch the missing areas.
cartrite
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #5by t00fri » 09.08.2007, 18:05

cartrite wrote:Ozark,
As far as I know, NMtools does not work on tiles. The code that deals with spherical corrections treat each tile as a sphere instead of a part of the whole. I may be wrong about that. There may be a way of doing it correctly. Fridger would have to answer that one.
The old way of doing normalmaps was to use nm16. If you use the search engine I think there should be a Windows version around somewhere.
The meg128 files are a bit tricky to work with too. There is NO data from 88n to 90n and 88s to 90s. You'll have to use part of meg64 files to patch the missing areas.
cartrite

The nmtools simply assume as input ONE 16 bit binary elevation map.

If you want to produce ONE coherent normalmap from that input you use my nms tool, the corrected version of nm16 (which did not account for spherical geometry). If you want to generate VTs you use 'nmtiles'. The rest is to be read in my tutorial.

There is a host of software tools that serve to assemble a set of binary elevation tiles into one binary input file. So I left the choice to everyone according to their gusto and operating system. It's really a trivial job.

Bye Fridger

cartrite
With us: 19 years
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #6by cartrite » 09.08.2007, 18:25

Hey Fridger,
That is exactly what I did with Mars. Assemble the megr128 tiles into one file. The nmtools did a good job too. To assemble the tiles, I used ISIS3 which does not run on Windows yet. That's why I didn't suggest that since Ozark uses Windows. I'm not aware of any others although I'm sure they are out there.
cartrite
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

Return to “Textures”