Heres My LunarCell First Atempt!

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Axel

WOAH!

Post #21by Axel » 11.09.2002, 13:41

Wow.

Stunning. I never thought texture generation would become that efficient and that impressive in such a short period of time.

Of course you have some excellent talent and imroved your skills with LunarCell.

I just hope we can import/export these textures into Celestia in their entirety and diversity. That would allow us to simulate a whole solar system's evolution from acretion disk to small hot dust balls swalowed by a red giant based on age or time.

I'd be the first to by a 1GB grafics card for that :)

Thanks for sharing your work...

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #22by Rassilon » 11.09.2002, 16:53

I would like to see some sort of scripting method used to program planetary evolution....That would be cool....and very possible for Celestia....smooth transition would however require a bit of programming magic so as to not use a million textures for one planet...

Good job Don :mrgreen:
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Don. Edwards
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #23by Don. Edwards » 11.09.2002, 22:58

All the images are from Celestia. I have already made each and every texture you see here. The world imaging portion of LunarCell leaves alot to be desired and I don't like there clouds. Besides the colors LunarCell uses are way to bright and saturated for my taste. There seemed no logical way of doing this without generating each stage of the worlds evolution in a seprate texture and specmap. Then using Gimp to put the texture and specmap together for each one. There are actualy 9 textures but I couldn't squeez the last one in the image. It looks alot like frame 8 just with fewer clouds and even less saturation in color, it looks totaly dead. I am going to have to figure a way of making these available to everyone but at this time I am not sure how I am going to this. They are all between 6 and 14megs in size. You see my problem here. As I said before I am thinking of going the route of KaZaA or maybe I will check out WinMX. Which one do you guys think should be our official one for Celestia.

Axel

Which p2p?

Post #24by Axel » 27.09.2002, 14:46

I'd suggest Gnutella which is the GPL'd tech behind Kazza and includes the most clients.

CU, Axel

abiogenesis
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #25by abiogenesis » 27.09.2002, 15:29

I thought that KaZaA used FastTrack, not Gnutella. FastTrack is what Morpheus used to use, before switching to Gnutella and subsequently sucking. FastTrack supports "swarming". That is, downloading one file from multiple users simultaneously. This has the potential to greatly increase download speed.

Also, as a side note, if you're going to use some kind of filesharing program, I recommend the site http://www.zeropaid.com. They have comparisons of all the programs, and they have castrated versions of the ones with spyware. I use KaZaALite, for instance, which has none of the spyware from its namesake.

- a b i o g e n e s i s -

Axel

P2P

Post #26by Axel » 30.09.2002, 14:06

Hi,

abiogenesis wrote:I thought that KaZaA used FastTrack

Jepp. My mistake :oops:

abiogenesis wrote:FastTrack is what Morpheus used to use,
Right. Before it got kicked for not beeing able to pay the rent. :D

abiogenesis wrote:before switching to Gnutella and subsequently sucking.
Right until yesterday. New version out. Some major improvements. 8)

abiogenesis wrote:FastTrack supports "swarming". That is, downloading one file from multiple users simultaneously. This has the potential to greatly increase download speed.
Uhmmm, that is not so new. Filetopia and AFAIK Gnucleus, the major Gnutella client has it, too.

abiogenesis wrote:I use KaZaALite, for instance, which has none of the spyware from its namesake.

The prob is it's a closed source commercial application with a central server concept. Therefor it's got a single point of failure or control or shutdown. I'd either recommend an advanced Gnutella client (Morheus in it's last evolution or Gnucleus) or a secured p2p: Filetopia.

The latter is closed source as well, but for security not for commercial reasons.

All in all Gnutella is a nice thing which came a similar way as Celestia. Which makes it a reliable and long therm solution. And it's there not only for the Win32s fraction.

Take care, Axel

Axel

P2P

Post #27by Axel » 30.09.2002, 14:06

Hi,

abiogenesis wrote:I thought that KaZaA used FastTrack

Jepp. My mistake :oops:

abiogenesis wrote:FastTrack is what Morpheus used to use,
Right. Before it got kicked for not beeing able to pay the rent. :D

abiogenesis wrote:before switching to Gnutella and subsequently sucking.
Right until yesterday. New version out. Some major improvements. 8)

abiogenesis wrote:FastTrack supports "swarming". That is, downloading one file from multiple users simultaneously. This has the potential to greatly increase download speed.
Uhmmm, that is not so new. Filetopia and AFAIK Gnucleus, the major Gnutella client has it, too.

abiogenesis wrote:I use KaZaALite, for instance, which has none of the spyware from its namesake.

The prob is it's a closed source commercial application with a central server concept. Therefor it's got a single point of failure or control or shutdown. I'd either recommend an advanced Gnutella client (Morheus in it's last evolution or Gnucleus) or a secured p2p: Filetopia.

The latter is closed source as well, but for security not for commercial reasons.

All in all Gnutella is a nice thing which came a similar way as Celestia. Which makes it a reliable and long therm solution. And it's there not only for the Win32s fraction.

Take care, Axel

Return to “Textures”