Saturn(ish) higher resolution map (warning: big graphic)

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
BrainDead
With us: 18 years 10 months

Post #21by BrainDead » 12.04.2006, 20:51

t00fri wrote:Here is my real point I want to make:

Again, I tend to observe an increasing "flatness" in the posts that appeared in the forum, recently. Very little substantial material anymore.

So I think we should be as receptive and grateful of any more "in depth" contributions with REAL SUBSTANCE"!

No argument here, Dr. Schrempp. I myself have been absent of late, or
at least reticent to become involved in the recent meanderings. Sigh...

t00fri wrote:You may have noticed that "t00fri" logins are getting considerably more rare these days:

1) I am bored to death about what I can read here (so seem to be quite a few others whose presence I value!)

2) I am working my head off for Celestia, instead ;-)

And your recent efforts have been very much appreciated by at least
some of us Bozos who don't know beans about real science. You're
Iapetus texture was a masterful addition to my Celestial playground, so
THANKS VERY MUCH for that effort.

Love ya, Doc...
Brain-Dead Bob

Windows XP-SP2, 256Meg 1024x768 Resolution
Intel Celeron 1400 MHz CPU
Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
OpenGL Version: 1.1.2 - Build 4.13.01.3196
Celestia 1.4.1

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #22by t00fri » 12.04.2006, 21:12

BrainDead wrote:
t00fri wrote:Here is my real point I want to make:

Again, I tend to observe an increasing "flatness" in the posts that appeared in the forum, recently. Very little substantial material anymore.

So I think we should be as receptive and grateful of any more "in depth" contributions with REAL SUBSTANCE"!

No argument here, Dr. Schrempp. I myself have been absent of late, or
at least reticent to become involved in the recent meanderings. Sigh...

t00fri wrote:You may have noticed that "t00fri" logins are getting considerably more rare these days:

1) I am bored to death about what I can read here (so seem to be quite a few others whose presence I value!)

2) I am working my head off for Celestia, instead ;-)

And your recent efforts have been very much appreciated by at least
some of us Bozos who don't know beans about real science. You're
Iapetus texture was a masterful addition to my Celestial playground, so
THANKS VERY MUCH for that effort.

Love ya, Doc...

Comments appreciated! ;-)
Thanks, Bob.

Cheers,
Fridger

TheStressPuppy
With us: 18 years 1 month

Post #23by TheStressPuppy » 09.05.2006, 21:36

This is some excelent work. Im new to Celestia, and these forums, and i must say all of the artist here are doing some amazing things.

To comment on the "Blue hat". It seems to be only a seasonal thing on Saturn. When Voyager flew by Saturn was in its northern "fall" season, and the rings were almost edge on with the sun. No blue haze was seen at ether the north, or south poles. Now Saturn is in its northern "winter". The Blue haze seems to be an effect of the ring shadow covering the northern hemesphere. If Cassini survives long enough (which i seriously doubt cause the seasons last over 20 years) to see Saturns southern winter it will be interesting to see if theres a similar effect to the south.

Perhaps it is possible to do 3 different textures representing the "Seasons of Saturn". 1 for northern winter with the blue haze in the north. 1 for "spring/fall" like the Voyager views, and 1 for a fictitious "southern winter" with the blue haze to the south. This is only a suggestion. Keep up the fine work :)

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #24by t00fri » 09.05.2006, 21:44

TheStressPuppy wrote:This is some excelent work. Im new to Celestia, and these forums, and i must say all of the artist here are doing some amazing things.

To comment on the "Blue hat". It seems to be only a seasonal thing on Saturn.

Indeed, that is well known meanwhile.
When Voyager flew by Saturn was in its northern "fall" season, and the rings were almost edge on with the sun. No blue haze was seen at ether the north, or south poles. Now Saturn is in its northern "winter". The Blue haze seems to be an effect of the ring shadow covering the northern hemesphere. If Cassini survives long enough (which i seriously doubt cause the seasons last over 20 years) to see Saturns southern winter it will be interesting to see if theres a similar effect to the south.

Perhaps it is possible to do 3 different textures representing the "Seasons of Saturn". 1 for northern winter with the blue haze in the north. 1 for "spring/fall" like the Voyager views, and 1 for a fictitious "southern winter" with the blue haze to the south. This is only a suggestion. Keep up the fine work :)

Seasonal textures are easily possible, but so far scientifically endorsed textures are missing for the various seasons. Add-on creators can start right away with lots of phantasy. The official distribution will have to wait until such textures are available.

Bye Fridger

buggs_moran
With us: 19 years 9 months

Post #25by buggs_moran » 09.05.2006, 21:47

TheStressPuppy wrote:Perhaps it is possible to do 3 different textures representing the "Seasons of Saturn". 1 for northern winter with the blue haze in the north. 1 for "spring/fall" like the Voyager views, and 1 for a fictitious "southern winter" with the blue haze to the south. This is only a suggestion. Keep up the fine work :)

This looks like a fine place to insert my long standing wish for cyclical textures (once more). :wink:
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Return to “Textures”