Sources for 500m landcover?

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
jnthn
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #21by jnthn » 01.03.2006, 14:21

cartrite wrote:I never worked with the channels separatly before so this will be a new experience. Thank You.
You're welcome. When I finally found a method that "worked," I thought "Aha! I have the secret formula! I'll be the first with a really nice VT from the BMNG!" After seeing how much work it will be to finish cleaning up the texture, I care less whether I'm "the first" and more about seeing someone produce a nice, cleaned up BMNG. I'm happy to help, if I can.
Gonna try A1 first. Should know in about a week or two.

I've been spending less time than I had hoped on it, myself. I'm still stuck on the second "subtile" of A1. Only 126 to go after that. If I keep going at the rate I am now, I'll be done about the time the fifth generation BM is out. :|

Do keep us posted.

ciao,
Jonathan

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #22by t00fri » 01.03.2006, 14:51

jnthn wrote:
cartrite wrote:I never worked with the channels separatly before so this will be a new experience. Thank You.
You're welcome. When I finally found a method that "worked," I thought "Aha! I have the secret formula! I'll be the first with a really nice VT from the BMNG!" After seeing how much work it will be to finish cleaning up the texture, I care less whether I'm "the first" and more about seeing someone produce a nice, cleaned up BMNG. I'm happy to help, if I can.
Gonna try A1 first. Should know in about a week or two.
I've been spending less time than I had hoped on it, myself. I'm still stuck on the second "subtile" of A1. Only 126 to go after that. If I keep going at the rate I am now, I'll be done about the time the fifth generation BM is out. :|

Do keep us posted.

ciao,
Jonathan

Why don't you collect the required operations in a batch script either for the GIMP or using ImageMagick. This task for 127 tiles just cries for automation...ImageMagick routines nicely cooperate with UNIX/LATEX/CYGWIN ...shell scripts as my well-known VT tile chopper "virtualtex" has demonstated many many times.

Bye Fridger

Topic author
jnthn
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #23by jnthn » 01.03.2006, 17:39

t00fri wrote:Why don't you collect the required operations in a batch script either for the GIMP or using ImageMagick. This task for 127 tiles just cries for automation...

I tried imagemagick for the decompose/threshold operations, but never managed to get the same results that I got in Gimp. Sooner or later, I'm just going to have to buckle down and learn how to script the Gimp, I suppose. Anyhow, the initial mask only took me a few hours. It's long been finished.

What's taking so long, at this point, is trying different techniques for the remainder of the "cruft." (Those week long vacations from it aren't helping much, either. 8)) So far, it doesn't look like there's going to be a "secret formula" to feed to a script for cleaning up the rest. The threshold trick only goes so far. As little as I want to admit it to myself, it looks like the rest will be a matter of trial and error, and long hours of painting by hand.

cya,
Jonathan

Return to “Textures”