Texture Generator?

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Ptarmigan
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #21by Ptarmigan » 04.08.2004, 12:48

selden wrote:for what it's worth, once you have installed Cygwin and the development tools that come with it, it takes only seconds to build "planet".
Actually, I did contemplate installing Cygwin, but ,,,
I've done LCCwin32, DevC++, DJthingyPP(never can remember its letters! and what a pain that one was!!) TurboC, smallC, etc&etc and I dont think there is any room left in my braincell for yetanother (well not without a braindefrag!), so I thought I'd take the easy route and just run John's wee proggy, argghhh ! :roll:

Malcolm.

Topic author
Dollan
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #22by Dollan » 04.08.2004, 14:23

Wow, I haven't seen that program in ages. It was one of the first things that I ever downloaded from the 'Net!

Sorry to see that the downloading thing didn't work for you, too. I hope that no damage was done to your system... :(

...John...

Ptarmigan wrote:Many years ago I had a screensaver on my old 386 which "splattered" (technical term :) ) the screen with random sized and positioned craters.
I wonder if it can be googled up ? it was by a fellow in Switzerland and he had another excellent freeware "Home Planet". If we can find it it might form the basis for a layer in Gimp or something ,,, I wonder,,,

(edit a few minutes later) Found it here : http://www.fourmilab.ch/craters/
but perhaps not suitable, it would need a lot of messing with your pics of rocks to hide the sharp regular edges of the craters generated by the screensaver.
Oh well, never mind, the site has a lot of very interesting astronomical and other stuff, well worth a look around.
meanwhile I'll go back to doing planetary textures using TheGimp plasma tile tool :)
(end edit)

Malcolm.
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

Ptarmigan

Post #23by Ptarmigan » 04.08.2004, 16:14

Dollan wrote:Sorry to see that the downloading thing didn't work for you, too. I hope that no damage was done to your system... :(
Fingers xxed, it seems to be OK :)
I had a go at compiling the planet.c in mingw, it appeared to compile ok but the exe that it produced opened a dosVM then proceeded to rapidly fill the window with random characters acompanied by chattering noises from within the computer :cry: but all seems OK still.
,too.
I assume that means the downloaded exe/cygwin thing did not work for you either ?

(edit) PS, lastnight when I was getting frustrated with that cygwin problem I went away and amused myself with making another tileable earthlike texture, with TheGimp, and then added a screensaver crater overlay and some fiddlings, just for fun here -> http://uk.geocities.com/ptarmigana/celestia/
hmmmm, dont think I'd better give up the day job LOL!

Malcolm.

Ptarmigan

Post #24by Ptarmigan » 04.08.2004, 16:22

Ptarmigan wrote:
Dollan wrote:Sorry to see that the downloading thing didn't work for you, too. I hope that no damage was done to your system... :(
Fingers xxed, it seems to be OK :)
I had a go at compiling the planet.c in mingw, it appeared to compile ok but the exe that it produced opened a dosVM then proceeded to rapidly fill the window with random characters acompanied by chattering noises from within the computer :cry: but all seems OK still.
,too.
I assume that means the downloaded exe/cygwin thing did not work for you either ?

(edit) PS, lastnight when I was getting frustrated with that cygwin problem I went away and amused myself with making another tileable earthlike texture, with TheGimp, and then added a screensaver crater overlay and some fiddlings, just for fun here -> http://uk.geocities.com/ptarmigana/celestia/
hmmmm, dont think I'd better give up the day job just yet LOL!

Malcolm.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #25by selden » 04.08.2004, 17:29

Remember that planet is a command-line program.
It has to be invoked from a "command window" and provided with any of a large set of options on the same line.

If you don't include an output filename on its command line, planet writes the image file to "standard output" -- which is the same as the terminal output. This is so it can be used in a "pipe", a standard way used under Unix and Linux for one program to pass its output to another program for further processing.
Selden

Post #26by Guest » 04.08.2004, 18:51

selden wrote:Remember that planet is a command-line program.
Ahhhh ! ding !!
exit, stage left, mumbling ,,,,looking for the manual and its commandline specs !!

PS All the C stuff I used to write had a "usage" conditional that prompted the idiot user ( who always presses go before rtfm !)
on the desirable traits expected of the op.

mutter mutter

Malcolm.

Post #27by Guest » 04.08.2004, 18:55

Anonymous wrote:
selden wrote:Remember that planet is a command-line program.
Ahhhh ! ding !!
exit, stage left, mumbling ,,,,looking for the manual and its commandline specs !!

PS All the C stuff I used to write had a "usage" conditional (test on the input string/parameters) that prompted the idiot user ( who always presses go before rtfm !) on the desirable traits expected of the op.

mutter mutter

Malcolm.

Ptarmigan

Post #28by Ptarmigan » 04.08.2004, 19:00

Ummm, well I thought I was loged in !
the above two "guest" posts were mine, the scond being a minor edit of the first.
Sorry for all the noise folks.

Malcolm.

Ptarmigan

Post #29by Ptarmigan » 04.08.2004, 19:28

(re-enters from stage left, in de-mumble mode !)declares "Selden, I love you" :D
You all will, no doubt, be relieved to know that upon entering a valid command line my compiled exe produced its first baby, err I mean planetary texture :)

Malcolm.
-> goes back to rtfm mode

selden
Developer

Post #30by selden » 04.08.2004, 21:28

:D
Selden

John Van Vliet

re

Post #31by John Van Vliet » 06.08.2004, 07:45

first my falt i was thinking of the java fractplanet ,that is what i get for reading 2 threads at a time and looking at 5 small apps and then responding

well i have also included cygwin1.dll with the zip ---this might help

and for the windows users ,like me , install cygwin
it is very easy to install
just point and click , and add some env. variables

Ptarmigan

Re: re

Post #32by Ptarmigan » 08.08.2004, 04:39

john Van Vliet wrote:well i have also included cygwin1.dll with the zip ---this might help
Sadly no ! Now I cant even unzip your file. The unziper in WinME reports "unknown compression" and UltimateZip locks up totally (3finger salute needed) whilst trying to unzip it :( Your previous zip package was ok though ! :?

But not to worry, I have compiled Torben's original planet.c with my Mingw compiler and that has produced a stand-alone exe of just 64k without any dlls.
So I dunno what that cygwin thingy is getting up to !! LOL!

(edit : afterthought)
Selden - did you compile the planet.c ? How big and was it standalone ?

Malcolm.

selden
Developer

Post #33by selden » 08.08.2004, 12:04

Malcolm,

The exe that I compiled using Cygwin/gcc back in 2002 is 206607 bytes. The copy that I compiled just now is 116815 bytes. Whether or not it requires the Cygwin dll I don't know: I just used the included Makefile. I suspect it does.
Selden

John Van Vliet

re

Post #34by John Van Vliet » 09.08.2004, 23:11

well i am new to compiling so pleas bear with me
i did test it after renaming c:/cygwin/???/ to c:/12345cygwin/???/
and it ran fine with cygwin1.dll in the folder and did not run with it missing

as to unzipping it i use 7-zip
and not the biult in winzip of xp

Ptarmigan

Re: re

Post #35by Ptarmigan » 10.08.2004, 00:20

john Van Vliet wrote:as to unzipping it i use 7-zip
and not the biult in winzip of xp

Ah, 7-zip is a new one on me, I'll go look at it ** and have a play.

However,,,, did you also use 7-zip on your previous (first) zip file ? I unziped that one ok, it was just this recent (second) one of yours that I couldnt 'do' :o :!:

(edit later)** Oh b...er, pardon me, but it is an exe download ! How I do hate that ! zips are perfectly good (or tarballs if you are that way inclined!),, and no install info on the main site, no info on impact on registry etc&etc grrrr, maybe I just didnt find that bit of their site yet ,,, (/edit)

Malcolm,,
who has not yet achieved the exalted heights of XP,
still a lowly WinME user.
One of these days I'll get me another machine and have a play with Linux :)

John Van Vliet

re

Post #36by John Van Vliet » 11.08.2004, 07:07

i have been using 7-zip for about 3 years and have had not a single problem
it is a peace of software that i highly recomend
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/
or WinTarBall at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wintarball/

Return to “Textures”