At LAST! UltraFast Conversion|Display of DDS in Linux, Win,.

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #21by t00fri » 18.02.2003, 15:10

selden wrote:Fridger,

Yes, there are libraries I couldn't find for showGL

I did manage to get DevIL installed.
It didn't include any library named IL, but one named "devil" seemed to satify the unresolved references for TexConvert. I don't know if it actually works, though.

Cygwin only includes the OpenGL libraries libblui.a and libgluix.a. GLUT is separate, for example.

The library simply called "GL" was my stumbling block. I don't know enough about OpenGL to know what Windows package that corresonds to.

This confirms my original suspicion that Cygwin does not provide a openGL developer's environment: libGL.so is the /main/ openGL shared library. Of course, you also need libglu and libglut along with /all/ corresponding header files.

The 'texconvert' tool should work, however, if you correctly installed DevIL. For Linux, it contains libIL and libILU. And a number of further
multimedia libs like libSDL etc.

Bye Fridger

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #22by selden » 18.02.2003, 15:21

Fridger,

Part of my problem is that I'm not adequately familiar with the Linux development environment. To me personally, "GL" does not necessarily imply "libGL", just as "IL" does not imply "devIL". I think, perhaps, another part of the problem is that ld is not automatically searching /usr/local/lib. I'll have to figure that out, too.

sigh.
Selden

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #23by t00fri » 18.02.2003, 16:01

selden wrote:Fridger,

Part of my problem is that I'm not adequately familiar with the Linux development environment. To me personally, "GL" does not necessarily imply "libGL", just as "IL" does not imply "devIL". I think, perhaps, another part of the problem is that ld is not automatically searching /usr/local/lib. I'll have to figure that out, too.

sigh.

A long time ago, I also had Cygwin installed on my Windows partition. So I remember a little bit, how it works. I understand that this is a UNIX emulation such that within the Cygwin setup you may use UNIX notations thoughout. So you use the gcc compiler with standard parameters, except perhaps when linking DLL's. But for this case that concerns us right now, there are detailed instructions on the Cygwin page with examples.

Usually a shared library (DLL) named libfoo.so is linked in gcc with -lfoo. If the path of libGL is not yet part of the gcc environment, you put a search path statement in front, like so:

.... -L/usr/local/lib -lGL ....
dito with include files, here the include dir is specified with the -I dir

syntax.

This is not even Linux specific, but standard UNIX wisdom.

Bye Fridger

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #24by selden » 18.02.2003, 16:14

Thanks!
Selden

Post #25by Guest » 21.02.2003, 02:01

Since you can manipulate 16k textures now is there any chance of making a 16k earth with a proper specular map in the alpha channel(ie. Buzz's). Or is there already one available?

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #26by t00fri » 23.02.2003, 15:21

Anonymous wrote:Since you can manipulate 16k textures now is there any chance of making a 16k earth with a proper specular map in the alpha channel(ie. Buzz's). Or is there already one available?

Given the abilities of the recent Celestia versions, I can see NO rationale anymore, not to keep the spec and bump files /separately/ and encode everyone with DXT1C rather than DXT3 format. In particular, I am convinced that a well-done 4k spec file is perfectly adequate for a 16k main earth texture, which economizes tremendously in case of these "monster" textures.

Of course, I meanwhile have produced very nice, desaturated, color corrected 16k BM-earth textures that are matching the Spacegraphics colors. Unfortunately, I am presently lacking the spare time to completely refurnish my TextureFoundry site with this new stuff, besides doing Celestia code development...

Notably, it is easily possible to assemble a 16k BM texture on top of the /other 13 Mipmaps/ from the 8k Space Graphics texture, such that for somewhat larger distances the <=8k Mipmaps from Spacegraphics will be "thrown in". This may be easily achieved with the NVIDIA command line tool "stitch.exe"...

Bye Fridger
Last edited by t00fri on 23.02.2003, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

Post #27by Guest » 23.02.2003, 15:32

That makes sense-as you usually do! :) I look forward to you finding the time to update your texture foundary.

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #28by t00fri » 23.02.2003, 15:39

Anonymous wrote:That makes sense-as you usually do! :) I look forward to you finding the time to update your texture foundary.

Who is this? I "love" communicating with shell-scripts and other /anonymous/ manifestations of the computer world...;-)

Bye Fridger

Post #29by Guest » 23.02.2003, 15:43

Just a fan :wink:

Return to “Textures”