UPDATE!! - Ultimate Terraformed Mars Texture

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 8 months

Post #181by BobHegwood » 16.10.2007, 01:26

Thanks guys and Sorry about that Don...

Apparently, one of the new Windows Vista tricks lies in going to a different
place in order to pull textures that your XP programs use. Trouble is, it is
NOT consistent.

One time, your texture will be in the Celestia Medres directory, but if you
change it using the Gimp, for example, it is saved to a waaay out of the
way Windows folder which is used for compatibility. I honestly do NOT
understand this though, because if you move the texture from the Windows
compatibility folder to the original Celestia Medres folder. The program
(Celestia that is) uses the texture just like it should. Boy, whatta pain in
the wazoo this is.

I know what's happening here though... You guys are ALL just gonna let ME
find out what all the bugs are so that I can update you in 2-3 years, right?

Sheesh! What was that other OS again? Linux? It's starting to look a
LOT better to me now.

Again, thanks for the replies.
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

Topic author
Don. Edwards
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #182by Don. Edwards » 16.10.2007, 04:24

Bob,

I did make a realistic Mars texture last year. The terraformed Mars texture is based on it. You can get it at the Mars Central page here, http://www.celestiaproject.net/~impulse/Mars_C ... ntral.html

I don't send any of my new textures to the Motherload site anymore. So it can only be downloaded from Mars Central.

Also here is the thread link to the textures and pictures. http://216.231.48.101/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Don. Edwards
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

BobHegwood

Post #183by BobHegwood » 16.10.2007, 13:04

Don. Edwards wrote:Bob,

I did make a realistic Mars texture last year. The terraformed Mars texture is based on it. You can get it at the Mars Central page here, http://www.celestiaproject.net/~impulse/Mars_C ... ntral.html

Don. Edwards

Got them and THANKS for understanding, Don. Oh my, I can now USE
DDS files, so this is going to be an adventure. Thanks ever so much for
making these beautiful Mars textures available. I do appreciate it... :wink:
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

bdm
With us: 18 years 11 months

Post #184by bdm » 17.10.2007, 09:30

Don. Edwards wrote:We need to remember that as the Sun ages its output is increasing making the whole prospect of terraforming Venus ludicrous. The Suns habitable zone is slowly moving outward toward Mars, which means a terraformed Mars has a much longer and useful period of possible habitability.
Venus is not a candidate for terraforming unless we can reduce the amount of sunlight that Venus receives. Venus is too hot.

The habitable zone is moving outward at a rate of about two centimetres a day. This means Earth's days of habitability are numbered as well.

Don. Edwards wrote:I would personally just leave Venus alone. It really isn't a good candidate for terraforming. If it had a a shorter day cycle it might be interesting, but plant life will have a hard time being in the dark for so long, as will any humans on the surface.

Venus could be interesting if it was tidally locked. It's nearly there already.

**CoSmO**

Post #185by **CoSmO** » 19.10.2007, 11:52

Don ur terraformed mars texture so far is......well just W-O-W! Cannot wait till its complete! although i think i would have to download the smallest size texture as my pc is so lame :(

:)

MKruer

Post #186by MKruer » 19.10.2007, 22:19

If you go up for or five post, you would see my Solar Reflector/Deflector scheme. Mars itself might need small reflector to keep the planet warmer, as opposed to creating a thinker atmosphere then Earth otherwise even with an Earth like atmosphere, it would probably snow at the equator. I might be able to use my CAD skills and come up with a few mega structures to do the job

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #187by Don. Edwards » 20.10.2007, 01:42

This Terraformed Mars is on the cool side. Even with a thick atmosphere, and one with a high H2O content, It would still be fairly cool. There is snow on the higher peaks and land forms even at the equatorial zone. You might compare the climate the the Boreal forests of North America and Siberia. I plan on creating a map to explain all the foliage areas on the planet as well as the accompanying climate and weather information. There are really no tropical areas here. Only temperate climate equivalents.

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

Methyl Orange
With us: 16 years 3 months

Re: UPDATE!! - Ultimate Terraformed Mars Texture

Post #188by Methyl Orange » 09.04.2008, 14:43

GR8 TEXTURES!!! 8) 8) 8)
May I ask you one question: Which program do you use making these textures? I'm asking you because I'm planning to make terraformed Venus.

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #189by Don. Edwards » 09.04.2008, 17:40

Hey Methyl Orange,

I almost exclusively use Photoshop CS for my texture work. I trained myself on it so its my main software tool. I also use Corel Paint Shop Pro to create transparent textures such as snow for mountains and clouds. There are several programs you can use for creating textures. Here are some of the best ones, Photoshop any version the will work with your OS, Corel Paint Shop Pro 9, 10, 11, The GIMP, a free open source image editor, and Paint.Net, also free and fairly powerful when used right. I hope this helps.

Good luck on your Venus project, but I must tell you it has been done many times already by other in this forum including me. Maybe you can put a different spin on it.

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

Methyl Orange
With us: 16 years 3 months

Post #190by Methyl Orange » 10.04.2008, 07:49

Don. Edwards wrote:Hey Methyl Orange,
Good luck on your Venus project, but I must tell you it has been done many times already by other in this forum including me. Maybe you can put a different spin on it.

My Venus will be habitable at poles only, because elsewhere it's too hot. If my Venus will look cool, then maybe I'll terraform Moon too :D

And something I think about your Mars: :arrow: you wrote here that it's on cold edge of habitability. But it has smaller ice caps than Earth on prictures of your Mars. I think that you made polar ice caps too small.
:mrgreen:

Victor
With us: 16 years 2 months

Post #191by Victor » 16.04.2008, 10:30

So, forgive me for asking that, but when is this project going to be finished? :)

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #192by ElChristou » 16.04.2008, 13:02

Victor wrote:So, forgive me for asking that, but when is this project going to be finished? :)

... That's the kind of question you should avoid; people here do their best so things will come in their time... Meanwhile you can start your own stuff.

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #193by Don. Edwards » 16.04.2008, 18:34

I have been working on this project for over 2 years now. I know it seems like a long time and it is compared to most of my projects. But this one is different. There are a few things that have put this on hold. First I had to take a break from it just so I could see straight. The second main reason is that were I am presently living, I don't have my big desktop computer setup, and it driving me nuts. All I have right know is my notebook computer, and while it has the memory for doing the actual texture work, it only has cheap Intel graphics and we all know what that means. No testing of the big textures in Celestia. Thats the main reason why I have been so quiet the last few months. It not that I am staying away, as I login daily to keep abreast of whats going on. I just had to put this on the back burner until I get my big computer rig setup and going again. I am also planning to do some upgrades as well. A new wide screen flat panel monitor and a 8800 series graphics card, and maybe even more RAM. Photoshop does like the RAM.

So all in all the project is still a go, and will be finished. It really is nearing the end, I promise!

Stay tuned as I plan to post some more pics as soon as I get my rig setup again.

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

buggs_moran
With us: 19 years 9 months

Post #194by buggs_moran » 17.04.2008, 00:00

Hey Don, I know how you feel, my motherboard is on the fritz and my graphics card is having trouble communicating effectively so my creative endeavors have been stalled until I can afford the time and $$.

Anyway... have you tried hooking a bigger monitor, a mouse and keyboard on your laptop? I find this is an effective temporary system when the big box is down. However, my laptop is nowhere near the power of the big box, onboard graphics, blech...
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Victor
With us: 16 years 2 months

Post #195by Victor » 17.04.2008, 08:12

ElChristou wrote:
Victor wrote:So, forgive me for asking that, but when is this project going to be finished? :)

... That's the kind of question you should avoid; people here do their best so things will come in their time... Meanwhile you can start your own stuff.

Yeah, I know, it's just that I've been following this for a year or perhaps even longer and I really like it. Nothing happened in this thread for a long time, so I wanted to be sure that it is not dead...

Don Edwards wrote:So all in all the project is still a go, and will be finished. It really is nearing the end, I promise!

Thanks, I am looking forward to it, the pics are really amazing!

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #196by Don. Edwards » 04.07.2008, 23:38

The project has been reset, please see new thread.

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

Return to “Textures”