64k Blue Marble

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
rconn2
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #101by rconn2 » 19.07.2004, 05:27

Selden: thx for the link.

I still have a few questions:

1) Should we have have mipmaps in the dxt1c's we convert to from Jestr's jpg's? If nomipmaps is used, the files are a little smaller. And, I see Harald Schmidt's excellent DDS's don't have them.

2) What to convert the JestrNormal to? dxt1c?

3) Wouldn't it be better to label textures as to their base tile size and the level('s) available rather than 32k, 64k etc.? Then, we could mix and match more easily.

4) Performance wise, would a 512 base tile VT be more efficient than a 1024? I know Jestr used 1024 so he could get the detail at level10... but does this compromise performance... i.e. at comparable to hs's 32k detail, there's one less level in Jestr's.

5) Should normals be the same base tile size as the regular texture? Does it make any difference in terms of efficiency?

BTW, t00fri... I used your script in cygwin for cutting up an image... thanks... works well.

smbika
With us: 20 years

Downloading fromJestr's site...

Post #102by smbika » 31.07.2004, 19:35

Hi,

Jestr wrote back in an e-mail to me about the UK textures he has and gave me this link http://celestiamotherlode.net/creators/jestr/ which works fine and seems fast enough...

Lemme know,
smbika
The only show that could beat Stargate<whatever> in a fair fight is Firefly...

Return to “Textures”