Up-to-date images of Saturn moons imaged from Cassini

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
ANDREA
With us: 22 years 1 month

Re: I can??t do it

Post #21by ANDREA » 07.02.2007, 14:47

danielj wrote:Sorry, I don?€™t know how I can get this know-how. Anyway, sooner or later, someone will get available some new textures based in CICLOP maps fixed. If Celestia starts to be a program DO IT YOURSELF, I will never update this program again, because I?€™m only a final end user. I don?€™t like the path Celestia is going...

Danielj, you CANNOT say that Celestia is a "do it yourself" program.
In Celestial Matters there are Fridger's Japetus, Titan and Tethys new textures, in Motherlode there are a lot of other Saturn moons by jeans, guest_io, Mcwgogs, and all of them are bigger and more detailed than the ones supplied with the Celestia installation pack; in the Forum there are zillions of posts that give all the needed info to substitute your Celestia textures with the new ones, so you can do it easily, obtaining a Saturn moons group much more detailed than the "standard" one.
So what is your problem?
Do you have too much to do to waste some time to search (as I did) in your Photoshop ?€?Help?€
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #22by t00fri » 07.02.2007, 16:28

danielj wrote:Sorry,I don??t know how I can get this know-how.Anyway,sooner or later,someone will get available some new textures based in CICLOP maps fixed.
If Celestia starts to be a program DO IT YOURSELF,I will never update this program again,because I??m only a final end user.I don??t like the path Celestia is going...

Daniel,

it's VERY easy: It's the Celestia-default distribution that is meant for "end users" who are entirely opposed to invest some own efforts of learning and doing things themselves.

This distribution is COMPLETE, easy to install and to operate. Just right for your philosophy!

The catch is that you always strive to get hold of the latest & greatest textures for Celestia that are available anywhere.

You will have to accept that these are for people who are also ready to contribute some respective efforts themselves at some point or another. Since you are unwilling to do so, it is only fair that you will have to get along with somewhat less sophisticated textures.

Celestia did not change in any way as to these issues. What changed during recent years was that better and better textures became available that do need, however, some additional image manipulation work by the users, since we don't have enough menpower among the devs. All of us have very demanding jobs....

It is unacceptable that you REQUEST others to do all this tedious work for YOU. So you will have to stay with Celestia's default textures and with whatever is available on the Motherlode.

This path could scare the begginers even more and Celestia will be,each time,a elite program and not a popular one.

Again, for beginners uninterested in learning --> Celestia - default!

Some people even don??t know how to edit the solarsys.ssc.

There are detailed instructions as you know very well. For those unwilling to read them --> Celestia-default! No editing required WHATSOEVER!

Bye Fridger

danielj
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #23by danielj » 08.02.2007, 11:47

Sorry,Andrea.It??s my anxiety again.Please reconsider.I will not post for a long.
And unfourtanetelly,I have to say,but my Photoshop is copied and not original.I guess it don??t have the manual and maybe even a decent help feature.That??s why...

ANDREA wrote:
danielj wrote:Sorry, I don?€™t know how I can get this know-how. Anyway, sooner or later, someone will get available some new textures based in CICLOP maps fixed. If Celestia starts to be a program DO IT YOURSELF, I will never update this program again, because I?€™m only a final end user. I don?€™t like the path Celestia is going...

Danielj, you CANNOT say that Celestia is a "do it yourself" program.
In Celestial Matters there are Fridger's Japetus, Titan and Tethys new textures, in Motherlode there are a lot of other Saturn moons by jeans, guest_io, Mcwgogs, and all of them are bigger and more detailed than the ones supplied with the Celestia installation pack; in the Forum there are zillions of posts that give all the needed info to substitute your Celestia textures with the new ones, so you can do it easily, obtaining a Saturn moons group much more detailed than the "standard" one.
So what is your problem?
Do you have too much to do to waste some time to search (as I did) in your Photoshop ?€?Help?€

t00fri
Developer

Post #24by t00fri » 08.02.2007, 12:55

danielj wrote:...
And unfourtanetelly,I have to say,but my Photoshop is copied and not original.I guess it don??t have the manual and maybe even a decent help feature.That??s why...

This does not sound like a convincing argument at all. Just go to Google and type "photoshop tutorial" in the Web section! You will be VERY surprised about the amount of respective pedagogical material ;-)

Bye Fridger

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 10 months

re

Post #25by John Van Vliet » 10.03.2007, 21:56

I had a bit of time so i fiddled with the rings . Using the image from
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/multimedia/pia08361.html
------------------------ Some screen Shots --------------
Image Image Image

----------------and the .zip file --------------------
http://www.filefactory.com/file/aa8380/
----------------------------------------------------------
-------------------- mirror -----------------------------
http://www.mediamax.com/johnvanvliet/Ho ... rnRing.zip
---------------------------------------------------------
unzip into your Celestia directory
it will create
--- extras
-------Saturn.ssc
---textures
------medres
----------SatRing.png

danielj

Re: re

Post #26by danielj » 12.03.2007, 00:58

This didn??t work in Celestia 1.5.0 pre2.Maybe the Modify function didn??t work just yet...

john Van Vliet wrote:I had a bit of time so i fiddled with the rings . Using the image from
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/multimedia/pia08361.html
------------------------ Some screen Shots --------------
Image Image Image

----------------and the .zip file --------------------
http://www.filefactory.com/file/aa8380/
----------------------------------------------------------
-------------------- mirror -----------------------------
http://www.mediamax.com/johnvanvliet/Ho ... rnRing.zip
---------------------------------------------------------
unzip into your Celestia directory
it will create
--- extras
-------Saturn.ssc
---textures
------medres
----------SatRing.png

danielj

Post #27by danielj » 12.03.2007, 01:05

It also didn??t work in Celestia 1.4.2.Sorry...
The rings are the same of before,not the golden ones!

revent
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #28by revent » 12.03.2007, 02:38

danielj wrote:This didn??t work in Celestia 1.5.0 pre2.Maybe the Modify function didn??t work just yet...

john Van Vliet wrote:unzip into your Celestia directory
it will create
--- extras
-------Saturn.ssc
---textures
------medres
----------SatRing.png

Maybe it's just how this was transcribed into ASCII, but the textures directory for an addon should be a subdirectory of extras.

John Van Vliet

re

Post #29by John Van Vliet » 18.03.2007, 16:48

yes the textures dir is a sub dir of extras
danielj just copy SatRing.png to celestia/textures/medres
and make sure that Saturn.ssc is in celestia/extras

danielj

Post #30by danielj » 18.03.2007, 22:18

I DID THIS.It simply didn??t work at all...

john Van Vliet wrote:yes the textures dir is a sub dir of extras
danielj just copy SatRing.png to celestia/textures/medres
and make sure that Saturn.ssc is in celestia/extras

selden
Developer

Post #31by selden » 19.03.2007, 00:48

Daniel,

I think you are simply trying too hard and making it much more difficult than it is.

My understanding is that you are running Windows XP. XP comes with its own version of Zip. You don't need any other software to decode the Zip file that you downloaded. Other fancy Zip programs have fancy interfaces and often do strange things.

1. To avoid confusion, move everything out of your Celestia Extras folder into some other folder where Celestia can't see them. For example, create a folder on your desktop and move them all into that new folder.

2. Double click on the SaturnRing.zip icon.

You should see a new Window Explorer popup window which contains a folder named extras.

3. Drag that extras folder into Celestia's extras folder. You'll now have a folder within Celestia's extras folder which also is named extras: Celestia/extras/extras/
That's fine.

4. Doubleclick on Celestia's icon. Let Celestia goto Earth.

5. type a 6 so Saturn is selected.

6. type a g to goto Saturn.

You should see John's new rings in place of the rings that came with Celestia. They're very obviously different: they're much more transparent than the rings that come with Celestia.

Does this help?
Selden

danielj

Post #32by danielj » 19.03.2007, 00:59

I was looking for the golden version!And now I have a new problem:Earth,under Open GL 2.0,is red...
What I see in Saturn??s rings have nothing to do with the Cassini pics in this topic.Look:
http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... urnso5.jpg
http://img250.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... osegg3.jpg

But you are talking about the DEFAULT rings...maybe the problem is that I am using the addon th_saturn_vol1.
In this case,maybe I should delete or move this file.Is that so?

selden wrote:Daniel,

I think you are simply trying too hard and making it much more difficult than it is.

My understanding is that you are running Windows XP. XP comes with its own version of Zip. You don't need any other software to decode the Zip file that you downloaded. Other fancy Zip programs have fancy interfaces and often do strange things.

1. To avoid confusion, move everything out of your Celestia Extras folder into some other folder where Celestia can't see them. For example, create a folder on your desktop and move them all into that new folder.

2. Double click on the SaturnRing.zip icon.

You should see a new Window Explorer popup window which contains a folder named extras.

3. Drag that extras folder into Celestia's extras folder. You'll now have a folder within Celestia's extras folder which also is named extras: Celestia/extras/extras/
That's fine.

4. Doubleclick on Celestia's icon. Let Celestia goto Earth.

5. type a 6 so Saturn is selected.

6. type a g to goto Saturn.

You should see John's new rings in place of the rings that came with Celestia. They're very obviously different: they're much more transparent than the rings that come with Celestia.

Does this help?

selden
Developer

Post #33by selden » 19.03.2007, 11:33

Daniel,

The Earth is red when an eclipse is in progress.
The easiest way to avoid it is to turn off cloud shadows. This happens because Celestia cannot yet generate OpenGL code that can display as many simultaneous effects as are available now.

Yes, you need to eliminate all other Saturn Addons. They are not compatible with one another.
Selden

Spaceman Spiff
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #34by Spaceman Spiff » 19.03.2007, 11:50

*Hem* Selden, I managed to find your above reply at the end of that spam quote. How come the Earth turns red during an eclipse? Is that the whole Earth?

Anyway, I would have thought danielj meant R=255 red.

Spiff.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on 19.03.2007, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

t00fri
Developer

Post #35by t00fri » 19.03.2007, 12:05

Spaceman Spiff wrote:*Hem* Selden, I managed to find your above reply at the end of that spam quote. Hw come the Earth turns red during an eclipse? Is that the whole Earth?

Anyway, I would have thought danielj meant R=255 red.

Spiff.

A "R=255 red" display of a planet means to indicate a crash/error...It is a way to indicate graphically that something went wrong.

I thought that Daniel has learned this meanwhile...

Bye Fridger

selden
Developer

Post #36by selden » 19.03.2007, 12:09

Celestia draws an object red when its dynamically generated OpenGL vertex-shader code has a compilation error. The Earth's surface is drawn red when all possible "eye candy" effects occur simultaneously. The recent addition of cloud shadows was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. If one adds a fake ring around the Earth, its shadow will cause problems, too.

Since clouds are drawn on a separate object, they can still be seen moving over the red sphere.
Selden

Spaceman Spiff
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #37by Spaceman Spiff » 19.03.2007, 12:33

Aha Fridger, Selden! Now I understand. I thought this was something about getting the Earth turns the moon red during a lunar eclipse backwards. Instead, you mean any eclipse breaks the rendering and OpenGL turns a texture bright red as an alarm. I see.

Fridger, maybe learning is just not someone's 'beer'...

Spiff.

John Van Vliet

re

Post #38by John Van Vliet » 19.03.2007, 22:58

Hi danielj if needed you can edit the solsys.ssc in data

Code: Select all

Rings {
       Inner   74500  # includes some ringlets inside edge of C ring at
         Outer  140220
         Texture "saturn-rings.png"
      }
----------------------------- TO----------------------
Rings {
       Inner   74500  # includes some ringlets inside edge of C ring at
         Outer  140228
         Texture "SatRing.png"
      }

is any else having a problem

Johaen
With us: 18 years 5 months

Post #39by Johaen » 20.03.2007, 03:26

john Van Vliet wrote:is any else having a problem

No problem here. What I did was put the new image in Celestia's HiRes textures folder, renamed it to saturn-rings.png, and then just used r/shift-r to change to and from the new texture.
AMD Athlon X2 4400+; 2GB OCZ Platinum RAM; 320GB SATA HDD; NVidia EVGA GeForce 7900GT KO, PCI-e, 512MB, ForceWare ver. 163.71; Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Gaming Soundcard; Abit AN8 32X motherboard; 600 watt Kingwin Mach1 PSU; Windows XP Media Center SP2;

danielj

Post #40by danielj » 20.03.2007, 20:33

Sorry,I forget to say.It worked.I deleted the th saturn,put the ssc inside Extras and the the SatRing inside Extras>Extras>textures>medres and copy the SatRing.png inside Celestia>textures>medres.
But is the transparency level accurate enough?

Johaen wrote:
john Van Vliet wrote:is any else having a problem

No problem here. What I did was put the new image in Celestia's HiRes textures folder, renamed it to saturn-rings.png, and then just used r/shift-r to change to and from the new texture.

Return to “Textures”