Free plugin to stop polar pinch

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
Starshipwright
With us: 17 years 10 months

Free plugin to stop polar pinch

Post #1by Starshipwright » 16.10.2006, 13:16

Flaming Pear has a package of free photoshop plugins available at thier website. It includes Sphere Wrap A & Sphere Wrap B, 2 tools for eliminating the polar pinch when wraping a sphere with a square texture. Check out some of thier other products, they have a lot that would be useful in making Celestia textures.

Their products are available in both Windows and Mac versions

You can find them at :
http://www.flamingpear.com

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #2by ElChristou » 16.10.2006, 13:45

Tx for the info! Go for a test...

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 1 month

Re: Free plugin to stop polar pinch

Post #3by ANDREA » 16.10.2006, 23:46

Starshipwright wrote:Flaming Pear has a package of free photoshop plugins available at thier website. It includes Sphere Wrap A & Sphere Wrap B, 2 tools .....You can find them at :
http://www.flamingpear.com

Sorry Starshipwright, I searched but didn't find Sphere Wrap A anywhere with Google. :cry:
Are here?
http://www.flamingpear.com/goodies.html
Can you give the exact page, please?
Thanks a lot :wink:
Bye

Andrea :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Cham M
With us: 20 years 5 months

Post #4by Cham » 17.10.2006, 03:09

I've just downloaded the "Sphere Warp A" and "Sphere Warp B" plug-ins (they are included in the free package, and their name isn't shown on the download page). There are no settings for those plug-ins, and I already made a quick conclusive test. Here we go :

I used this simple rocky texture, at a 1024 X 512 resolution :

Warped on a sphere gives this in Celestia, with the pinch effect clearly visible :

Then, I applied the "Sphere Warp A" plug-in, which gives this, on the original texture :

In Celestia, this gives this effect (the pole is clearly visible on this picture) :

Then, I applied the "Sphere Warp B" plug-in on the original texture, which gives this :

In Celestia, this gives this effect :

So, it appears to me these plug-ins could be very usefull for giant gaz planets, but not on Earth like planets or moons.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #5by ElChristou » 17.10.2006, 10:39

Yep, I also done a quick test and unfortunatly this is not the ultimate tool against the pinch effect... :?

Return to “Textures”