UPDATE!! - Ultimate Terraformed Mars Texture

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
Don. Edwards
With us: 21 years 9 months

UPDATE!! - Ultimate Terraformed Mars Texture

Post #1by Don. Edwards » 15.02.2006, 08:18

I didn't have any plans on showing this off yet. But I was impressed the initial color test so much that I felt I had to share it with everyone interested. So here is the first picture of the new Terraformed Mars texture. Click the image for a larger version.

Again this is just the first pass to set the colors. The oceans are still a bit bright and will be toned down a bit. But the land is moving in the right direction. The next phase is changing the surface detail, basically making it look eroded, adding vast rivers around the planet, and adding vegetation. I will be keeping some large areas of the surface untouched so it will have areas that remind everyone what it once looked like. This should be a fun project.
So stay tuned and I will add more pictures as things progress.

PS,
I have toyed with the idea of also using this texture to create a version based on Kim Stanley Robinson's epic Mars trilogy- Red Mars - Green Mars ?€“ Blue Mars. Of course this would be the end product from the Blue Mars novel. So if anyone thinks I should make this as well let me know.

Don. Edwards
Last edited by Don. Edwards on 02.05.2007, 08:35, edited 2 times in total.
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 5 months

Post #2by ElChristou » 15.02.2006, 11:02

8O Seems another excellent work!!
I do like the tone of the ocean (well what we can see), recall me the color of some south pacific beach...

Dollan
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #3by Dollan » 15.02.2006, 14:56

It is shaping up quite well, Don. There is, of course, something beautiful about any Earth-like world, and this reflects that feeling thus far.

What kind of tone-down for the oceans are you planning? More towards a hint of brown or rust color?

...John...
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe..."
--Carl Sagan

barbarossa2
With us: 18 years 4 months

Me thinks...

Post #4by barbarossa2 » 15.02.2006, 15:29

Me thinks it looks wonderful.

I rather like the oceans as is. But, I would love to see what you have in mind too.

Assuming this is "terraformed", does this assume a human presence, and will you be modelling that as well? In the form of nightside textures or otherwise?

buggs_moran
With us: 19 years 9 months

Post #5by buggs_moran » 15.02.2006, 15:58

Excellent Don! Looks really nice. I meant to complement you on the ancient water endowed Mars as well. The only thing I think it needed were more opaque waters. Maybe, like the blue reflection we have from our atmosphere, Mars should have reflection as well. The atmosphere would have had to be thicker back then to retain the water for any significant period, right? What color though? Hmm, not too ruddy, since the dust in the atmosphere is probably kicked up due to the lack of moisture. Perhaps a dark blue indicating the thinness of the atmosphere. Or, more probably greyish. I have read that the thicker atmosphere may have been prodominantly CO2. There is a thin ozone layer at the poles, so perhaps there was more in the ancient atmosphere, lending a slight blue tint.
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #6by Don. Edwards » 15.02.2006, 21:39

Well the adjustments to the water will be mostly in taking down the brightness of the water, or the saturation color level. The shallow depths along the coast, hence the light blue colored water is meant to be there.

As for Ancient Mars, I simply didn?€™t make the changes to the atmosphere settings before taking the screen shots. I think maybe I will retake a few and post them with an altered atmosphere setting.

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

Giorgio
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #7by Giorgio » 16.02.2006, 02:00

You really made Mars a nice place to be. And once again you made me regret not reading Celestia documentation carefully before buying the new graphic card. Look at that nice haze over there :cry:

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #8by fsgregs » 18.02.2006, 04:27

Don, this is spectacular work. Your land and seas are wonderful. It is a huge coincidence that just today, my Astronomy students began their tour of Educational Activity 5 - The Terraforming of Mars. When you first did those textures for me over 2 years ago, they were great then, but the image of your NEW terraformed Mars is ... well ... amazing.

Question: Is this meant to be a post-21st Century Mars? In other words, will all of Mar's current landforms still be present on your new texture (Olympus Mons, etc.)? If so, are you planning any attempt to produce a new set of terraformed Mars textures that show us changes over time, or is this particular effort to be the final single texture only?

I notice that your texture contains quite a bit of water covering the planet. As I've been teaching my students about the potential to terraform Mars, several of them have asked if there really is enough water trapped in the Ice caps and in the bone dry desert soil to flood most of the planet (as we see in your image above). Frankly, all I can say when they ask me is that we don't know how much water is on Mars, because we have no estimate at all of how much may be trapped in the soil.

Have you learned anything about the volume of water the planet might contain that might help me out here? :)

Regards,

Frank

PS: the cloud texture is great. What texture is it?

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #10by Don. Edwards » 18.02.2006, 09:33

Hey Frank,
Actually you could say this texture comes in at the very end of all those used in your educational activity. This is a Mars that is far in the future and the landforms will be different in some places. I don?€™t want to give away anything as of yet but this texture, I am hoping will take me in totally new directions. Everyone?€™s just gets to come along on the ride and hopefully it turns out as well as I hope.

As for the water level, I chose to go with a slightly higher level than in the final texture in the activity. You are right that at this point we aren?€™t even sure there is enough water on Mars at this time to fill the northern ocean basins. But we might, in the far future utilize another source of water for Mars. How about steeling Kuiper belt bodies and sending them to Mars and then aero breaking them into Mars atmosphere. That idea was put forward in Kim Stanley Robinsons Red, Green, and Blue Mars series. That could add allot of water to the planet in a fairly short time.

Another way that the water level could be higher in this texture is simply do to erosion. As sediment is carried into the bodies water they get displaced higher and higher as more sediment is added. A very simple experiment your students could do in class. This is also what happened to Spirit Lake at Mt St. Helens back when she erupted in 1980. The landslide of debris displaced the water to a much higher level and created and entirely new lake in the end a few hundred feet higher than it was before the eruption. So as the deepest parts of the great northern ocean fill with sediment the waters rise higher and higher. There would also be some water displacement by life forms in the water. Coral reefs would form in much of the shallow water and as they grow, taking carbon from the water and atmosphere to build the reefs they would displace water as well. Not at nearly the rate of erosion, but they would have a hand in it as well.

I could go on and on about things. But let?€™s just say this texture might be a possible Mars a hundred thousand years or more in the future. So 75 thousand years after the final texture in the activity. You can call it a well lived in Mars so to speak and will show that much better than the earlier textures ever came close to doing. At least I hope so. It?€™s all a great experiment really.

Here is an updated picture of the texture. Click the picture for a bigger one.

As you can see I have done further color enhancements. Bringing it to a more Earth toned world.
Ok I think that covers it for now.

Oh and thanks to d.m.falk for the links to the pictures, truly inspiring and I hope I can take a few of mine in similar poses to compare.

Oh sorry I almost forgot Frank, it is one I have created just for this texture, It?€™s based on my Northern Winter/Southern Summer cloudmap for Earth. It will be release with the texture and already has a matching cloud shadow map.

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

Boux
With us: 19 years 10 months

Post #11by Boux » 18.02.2006, 13:56

Absolutely splendid :o
Good also for some fictional addons!
Intel core i7 3770 Ivy Bridge @ 4.4 GHz -16 GB ram - 128 GB SSD cache - AMD Radeon 7970 3 GB o'clocked - Windows 7 64 Ultimate / Linux Kubuntu

Fightspit

Post #12by Fightspit » 18.02.2006, 14:42

Boux wrote:P4 4GHz

A P4 4ghz don't exist except you have overclock your P4, "n' est ce pas" ?
Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2
Processor: Intel Core2 E6700 @ 3Ghz
Ram: Corsair 2 x 1GB DDR2 PC6400
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 384 bits PCI-Express 16x
HDD: Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10000 rpm

Boux
With us: 19 years 10 months

Post #13by Boux » 18.02.2006, 19:38

P4 650 EMT64 17x235 synchronous dual-channel DDR2 - Linux SMP kernel of course :lol:
Intel core i7 3770 Ivy Bridge @ 4.4 GHz -16 GB ram - 128 GB SSD cache - AMD Radeon 7970 3 GB o'clocked - Windows 7 64 Ultimate / Linux Kubuntu

PlutonianEmpire M
With us: 19 years 9 months

Post #14by PlutonianEmpire » 18.02.2006, 21:13

What's the size of these textures? 8k?

Great work! :)
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

Fightspit

Post #15by Fightspit » 18.02.2006, 21:27

Boux wrote:P4 650 EMT64 17x235 synchronous dual-channel DDR2 - Linux SMP kernel of course :lol:

Furthermore, a P4 650 is a 3,4 Ghz:

http://www.intel.com/products/processor ... iew_p4.htm
Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2
Processor: Intel Core2 E6700 @ 3Ghz
Ram: Corsair 2 x 1GB DDR2 PC6400
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 384 bits PCI-Express 16x
HDD: Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10000 rpm

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #16by Don. Edwards » 18.02.2006, 23:03

Ok, no more CPU talk in here.

The textures as pictured are 8k but the working masters are 16k and will be made available at 16k and lower.

There simply isn't a good eason to make the 16k into a texture as of yet since its only partly done and takes to long to create. I can generate an 8k in 5 minutes.

Don.

Ah, never say never!!

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #17by Don. Edwards » 25.02.2006, 14:15

Ok here are a few more updates. I have finished with all the preliminary color adjustments, so that part is final. I was going to try and clone in some Earth surface imagery to help make the texture look more realistic, but after I finished the color adjustments to the layers, I found I had produced a texture that really didn?€™t need any Earth imagery added. The texture stands on its own and looks so much like the surface of the Earth in places many will think I did clone in Earth data. But this texture is totally Mars. I still have allot to do before its ready for release.

So here are a few more pictures of the texture in action, this time without any clouds to hide any defects, as there aren't any now as far as I am concerned.

These are all still at the 8k level at this time. I plan on doing a proof of concept or beta texture. This texture will be at the full 16k level and I may invite a few Celestia users to try the first version to see what they think. There are a few things I have done to the texture and its companion normalmap that can't be made out well at the 8k level. When I release pictures of the 16k version, possibly tonight, all the little details should reveal themselves. Also many of you will notice that the normalmap used in these pictures is a bit exaggerated again. This was just for a quite and dirty test of the added details to the normalmap. I promise that the one released won't be as exaggerated, although it will look a bit strange or different from any other Mars normalmap you have seen. This is do too me compensating for geologic changes that would be occurring on the surface. I chose not to change too much, as it would not end up looking like Mars. So I took a more subtle route. Mainly because the ideas I had for the texture were not working to my expectations. It happens sometimes. As for the Ancient Mars texture, I will get back to work on it. This texture kind of took a life of its own and I wanted to get everything in to it that I had planned before I forgot all the things I wanted to do. And when I am on a roll like this it is very hard for me to stop till I feel it is finished. I have already put three late nights into it. Again some of my plans changed, but the texture even now is miles above and beyond what I had done in the past. At this point I am truly considering it one of my best works to date and it can only get better. At least lets hope so.

As always any comments and thoughts are welcome so don?€™t hesitate to say something.

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #18by selden » 25.02.2006, 14:21

It isn't clear from the pictures that you've posted if you've created lakes in some of the higher altitude craters. Most "wet Mars" models that I've seen have only had water at and below the mean sealevel. If it's wet enough to rain, then I'd expect there would be higher elevation lakes with streams running down from them.
Selden

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #19by Don. Edwards » 25.02.2006, 14:34

Hey Selden,
I have chosen to leave most of the higher elevation craters dry. Others are heavily vegetated. I thought of making more of the craters have filled basins and still plan on adding more, but i could spend weeks just popping water spots into craters and really never get anything done. I have taken s novel approach to a few higher altitude craters. They have or will have manicured bottoms and used for farming for isolated communities. Darn that reminds me I have to also make a night side texture for this. Well one thing at a time.

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #20by fsgregs » 25.02.2006, 14:43

Don, I can't wait to see the finished textures. I'd be happy to evaluate them closely and comment, if you wish.

Frank

Return to “Textures”