hires, medres, lores?

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
lounatic
With us: 18 years 6 months

hires, medres, lores?

Post #1by lounatic » 02.01.2006, 05:48

Forgive my ignorance, but I've been looking and looking for an answer to this question. What makes a texture hires, medres, or lores? Beyond just their place in the directory structure, I mean. If someone could even point me in the right direction for some ... err, direction on the topic, I would be grateful. How do I know if a particular texture should go in the lores directory or one of the others?

Thanks,
Lou

calder

Post #2by calder » 02.01.2006, 07:29

It all depends on the size and detail of the texture in question. If there is only one version of the texture, it will usually go into the medres directory, if there is a smaller or less detailed version of the same texture for less powerful computers it will go into the lores directory, and if it is a large and more detailed version of that texture then it will usually go into the hires directory.

You can switch between hires, lores and medres textures within Celestia by pressing the R key or holding down shift and then pressing the R key.

Topic author
lounatic

Post #3by lounatic » 02.01.2006, 22:42

Thanks for the reply. I think I understand, but I may have some more questions in the near future.

Thanks again.

Lou

Giorgio
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #4by Giorgio » 31.01.2006, 01:07

I, for example, use this trick to change between different cloud maps for the Earth, since you can't load different cloudmaps using the alternative maps string.
Don Edwards map for better pictures from afar, Brady's 16k VT for closer pictures and Schmidt's 32k VT for, how should I call those, portraits!? Add Don Edwards must have cloud shadow map, and, though with some limitations, you can have the perfect earth for every distance :)

Return to “Textures”