Mars Map

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
Puduku
With us: 22 years

Mars Map

Post #1by Puduku » 31.07.2002, 09:42

Hi guys,
I would like to have some advice in order to create a map of Mars that could replace the cloud texture (so you could leave it or not by pressing the 'I' key). I have just finished writing the name of the most important geological areas in Photoshop but I had problems exporting it into Celestia. In fact the png file format worked fine but I got blurred texts and some grey spot everywhere on the maps which doesn't give a really great look !
So could anyone please help me with this (i also tried the dds format but the map had no alpha channel) or if you want I could send you the photoshop file so you could see by yourself.

D.Edwards
With us: 22 years 1 month

RE: Text on Textures

Post #2by D.Edwards » 31.07.2002, 11:52

I wouldn't dout you had problems. I don't think your plan will work. Celestia does a lot of streching and squezzing of the textures when they are mapped onto the spherical forms. The text is going to very streched and distorted and I don't think there is a work around at this time or if ever. I would just remove the text altogether and leave it at that.

Topic author
Puduku
With us: 22 years

Post #3by Puduku » 01.08.2002, 11:23

i thought about that and I did not write anything near the pole, just 40 degrees above and below the equator so that shouldn't be too distorted. And actually that is what I get when I look into Celestia with the png file exported from Photoshop, but as I said the problem is that some words are fine but some are blurred or with grey spots.
Maybe as you said it is a problem of textures squeezed by Celestia because of the spherical projection but I still think it has something to do with Photoshop exporting the textures

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #4by chris » 01.08.2002, 19:51

Puduku wrote:i thought about that and I did not write anything near the pole, just 40 degrees above and below the equator so that shouldn't be too distorted. And actually that is what I get when I look into Celestia with the png file exported from Photoshop, but as I said the problem is that some words are fine but some are blurred or with grey spots.
Maybe as you said it is a problem of textures squeezed by Celestia because of the spherical projection but I still think it has something to do with Photoshop exporting the textures

Is there any way that you could post a screen shot? I'm pretty sure that this isn't a Celestia problem, but I'd have to take a look to be sure.

--Chris

Sum0
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #5by Sum0 » 01.08.2002, 20:52

Quick thought - nothing to do with the old Geforce anti-aliased fonts problem?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Post #6by Guest » 02.08.2002, 17:25

My guess would be your using too low resolution texture for the font size you chose...To get the text to show more clearly you will have to use higher text point or higher resolution texture...Maybe 4096x2048...By then might be better to invest your time to learn how to compile dds files...

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #7by Rassilon » 02.08.2002, 17:28

^ Tis me...
Also I forgot to add...Try using a JPEG instead and save using 0 compression...Thats 12 in photoshop...PNG should work tho ;)
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Return to “Textures”