EARTH CENTRAL 3 NOW OPEN!

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
Don. Edwards
With us: 21 years 9 months

EARTH CENTRAL 3 NOW OPEN!

Post #1by Don. Edwards » 18.12.2003, 08:05

Click the picture to go to Earth Central 3

Seasons Greetings and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Well it ended up two days late but here it is. My much needed update to Earth Central.
So what are you going to find here this time around. For starters the updated 16k Earth texture. It is not perfect but I think it’s better than the last one. There may be a few things a little off with it and if its idiosyncrasies are to many than I can always go back and fix it. I will not give away what they are so you will just have to look for them. There are not many of them luckily. Of course it is also available in smaller resolutions.

The next is that I have the new Northern Summer-Southern Winter Static 8K cloudmap ready for download. To use it you will need to go into your solarsys.ssc file and set Earth's cloud speed to 00. This will lock the clouds to where they are supposed to be in relation to the surface. It also allows your video card to render the cloudmap at its highest level. The 8k cloudmap will not render properly if you do not shut down the cloud spinning. I also have lower resolution versions you can use with the clouds in motion as before. But you will only have 1/4 of the detail and you will have storms moving over areas that they just don't move in the real world. So the choice as to which you use is completely up to you. I personally do not miss the clouds moving that much. It is much more interesting seeing all the details instead.
The Northern Summer-Southern Winter Static 8K cloudmap was based on BlueMarbles 8k cloudmap. This cloudmap was of a more Northern summer weather pattern to begin with. There are some tropical storms here and there. So I decided to add to the texture. So I went through many of the pictures of typhoons, hurricanes, and cyclones on the BlueMarble site and chose the ones that had what I felt were the best features. I then desaturated the color; adjusted brightness and contrast to match the 8k cloud map and located the proper places for the storms to go. Then it was a simple task of pasting in as layers and doing some nice blending into the background texture. After this was done I used the time tested way of using Gimp to create a transparent cloudmap. The rest of my process is very complex and you might call my trade secret. I did learn a few of these tricks from Fridger so I have to give him some credit here. :wink:

I think that the cloudmap can and will speak for itself. I hope everyone enjoys it. :)

Now there is more. I also have put up another rebuild of my Night-lights & Auroras texture. It is available in several resolutions and formats so everyone can play with this and let me know what you think.

Lastly I updated the site with a link to the Earth 18000BCE texture.
So that should wrap up the biggest update to Earth Central to this date.
I am considering doing some revamping of the whole Celestia Hub concept. I do not have my own textures for all the planets in our solar system and I do not plan on making one for all of them. But what I might do is contact other texture artists and see if they would like me to mirror there work in the wholes that need filling. That way the hub can look more complete and it will be another resource for downloads of some really nice textures that at times are not available.
As always I welcome input either positive or negative. And of course I always take what ideas are given very seriously. Also if you have any ideas for the Celestia Hub don't be afraid to contact me either by PM, email, or a post here in the forum with your ideas and input.
Hope this makes this Christmas for all Celestia users a happy one. :D

Don. Edwards
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

danielj
With us: 20 years 10 months

Re: EARTH CENTRAL 3 NOW OPEN!

Post #2by danielj » 18.12.2003, 15:14

The links are not working.
Additionally,it was good if you can edit cloudmap in solarsys.ssc,i.e,CloudMap "Southern Summer /Nothern Winter" works in the first half of the year,and CloudMap "Southern Winter/Northern Summer" works in the second half of the year.Is ito difficult to implement?

Darkmiss
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #3by Darkmiss » 18.12.2003, 19:38

Thank you, and a very Merry Christmas to you to Don
And everyone else too :D
Im off to check out what's in Earth Central 3.

-----------------------------------------

Hmmm Daniel is right, all links are dead at the moment.
CPU- Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad ,2.40GHz
RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2
Motherboard- Gigabyte P35 DQ6
Video Card- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS + 640Mb
Hard Drives- 2 SATA Raptor 10000rpm 150GB
OS- Windows Vista Home Premium 32

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #4by ANDREA » 18.12.2003, 22:54

Darkmiss wrote:Thank you, and a very Merry Christmas to you to Don
And everyone else too :D
Im off to check out what's in Earth Central 3.
Hmmm Daniel is right, all links are dead at the moment.

Darkmiss, now everything is working for me. :D
Thank you and Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you and to all the Celestia people. :D

:D Andrea :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #5by Don. Edwards » 19.12.2003, 00:47

A big OOPS!!
Sorry everyone. I tested all the links before I renamed the directory. So after I changed the directory’s name to take the place of the old site of course it then broke most of the links.
I have just tested every link and all appears to be working well.
If any other links seem not to work please let me know ASAP.

danielj,
I just make textures. If you want the clouds to automatically change then you need to write your own begin-end.ssc. That is not really my area of expertise. Not that I couldn't. I have never attempted to write a begin-end.ssc. I suppose I could. But I really can't see the need until we have the full set of seasonal textures to go along with the clouds. I am still going to make them. They will be made at the 16k level.

BTW,
If anyone wants to cut the new 16k Earth texture into VT tiles just contact me and we can make arrangements for me to make the texture available in tiles of a manageable size. Than the rest would be up to you.

Don. Edwards
Last edited by Don. Edwards on 19.12.2003, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.

Ah, never say never!!

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #6by fsgregs » 19.12.2003, 03:32

Don, the new texture is beautiful. Thank you for all that incredible work. It is now the main texture in my system, with the virtual BlueMarble textures as alternatives.

Could you provide a link or address to direct me to the Earth Normal map you are using with your new 16k Earth? The one I have creates a drop-off all along the shoreline of your new texture. All the continents now look like they have cliffs along every coast. I didn't notice it as much with the Realistic Earth 16k. :)

Thanks

Frank

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #7by Don. Edwards » 19.12.2003, 04:17

The one I am presently using is my own 8k normalmap. Not the greatest in the world but its pretty good for an 8k. I thought I was useing a virtual normalmap of someones but it seems I was remembering wrong. It was a vt specmap instead. I will update Earth Central with a link to my 8k and I will upload as soon as I can. It may take a day or two.

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #8by Don. Edwards » 19.12.2003, 05:10

Another quick update. After zipping the 8k normalmap it was small enough for me to upload useing a modem so it is now uploaded and I update Earth Central with the normalmaps own section.

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

diabloblanco17
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #9by diabloblanco17 » 19.12.2003, 07:08

Heh, I'll be on a download rampage tonight, with all these great maps available. Once I get the 16K texture downloaded, I'll load it into 3d Studio Max and render up something for you guys. Then, since tomorrow is my last day of school before break, perhaps I'll finish up the planet texture I'm working on and release it to everyone.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

don
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #10by don » 19.12.2003, 09:02

Howdy Don,

Thank you for all of your exceptional artistic work on these beautiful textures! :D

It will indeed be a happy Christmas for this Celestia user. :D

Image Seasons Greetings and Merry Christmas to all,

-Don G.

Darkmiss

Post #11by Darkmiss » 19.12.2003, 20:38

Wow Don you have been working hard.
The cleanup of the oceans is wonderfull. (No more pixels)
The Oceans now look so much cleaner and fresher. :D

Nice overall subtle change in colour too.

Have you ever seen so many Smiley faces in one post
12 so far.... and counting... :D

RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2

Post #12by Guest » 20.12.2003, 02:50

vabb?....merry xmas to all...

brunetto_64
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #13by brunetto_64 » 20.12.2003, 02:54

killroy was here....
the past message was mine...
Brunetto_64

maxim

Post #14by maxim » 20.12.2003, 20:25

Don. Edwards wrote:If anyone wants to cut the new 16k Earth texture into VT tiles just contact me and we can make arrangements for me to make the texture available in tiles of a manageable size.

Hi Don, I've got that for you: DDS DXT1c compressed.
I should be up in about 2-3 hours on my download page:
http://www.nefkom.net/z-bau/celestia
Give me a short hint if you have downloaded it, so that I can remove it - I've not so much space to keep it there.

If you want other versions of that VT just say it.

Greets, maxim

galileo
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #15by galileo » 20.12.2003, 20:52

fantastic. just in time for the holiday! thanks! :D

maxim

Post #16by maxim » 20.12.2003, 22:49

Ok, it's up now.

Don, if you like (only if you like) you can mirror all stuff that's on my download page.
Well, you called yours 'Earth Central', so I think you propably have something like that in mind.

maxim.

diabloblanco17

Post #17by diabloblanco17 » 21.12.2003, 00:25

Here's an image of the Earth_Central map rendered in 3d Studio Max, with the Blue Marble cloud map, an atmospheric haze map, and an altered dark side illumination map.

selden
Developer

Post #18by selden » 21.12.2003, 00:46

Diablo,

I'm somewhat confused.

Why did you render it using 3DSMax? Was it an exercise to learn how to do this kind of thing?

Celestia can generate an image that's indistinguishable from the one you've shown us.

Of course, a limitation is that Celestia's maximum resolution can be no better than the screen resolutions available on your display. I suspect that 3DSMax could generate an image with as high a resolution as you have room for on your disk. But so could POVRay, which is free :)
Selden

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #19by Don. Edwards » 21.12.2003, 03:48

Selden,
Remember he is making a Star Wars fan film so he uses 3DSMax to render his scenes. I think he just wanted to see what the new 16k texture would look like in it. I can't blame him. If I had 3DSMax I would be playing with it in there too. One thing I did notice is that 3DSMax gives the atmosphere a little more depth of field than Celestia can do at this point. Although I can see in the image that the cloudmap isn't being rendered a little to opaque and the specular lighting on the water is a little darker than in Celestia. With a few adjustments he could almost get this shot perfect. :wink:

diabloblanco17,
You just go ahead and work with the texture as much as you like. It is nice to see my work in a program like 3DSMax. :)

Now I would like to see someone using Orbiter plug my new texture into it and take a few screen grabs so we can see what it looks like in the its environment. :wink:

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

Darkmiss

Post #20by Darkmiss » 21.12.2003, 13:26

Don is your updated Earth still without spec map ?

If so, may I suggest you put up a spec map for download on your web site
as they are harder to find.

And ther has been a few instances where newcomers are saying they can't see water reflections.

I have a fairly good 8k dds with all the lakes if you want it.

RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2

Return to “Textures”