Earth 18,000 BCE - A Work In Progress! - Nah it is finished!

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
Don. Edwards
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #61by Don. Edwards » 24.02.2019, 05:54

Well, they are one up on me, as I don't even think I have any of these anymore. I always felt that the textures were open source, and now that it's like 15 years or more later, I would hardly feel it is needed for me to go after or request a take down. Besides, if they are the only remaining copies, what would be the point. I am credited, so I have to at least thank them for doing that.
But again, thanks for the heads up. Unless you have any info that these guys are including malware or trying something shady with them, I am going to let it slide.

D Edwards
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

SpaceFanatic64
With us: 5 years 10 months

Post #62by SpaceFanatic64 » 01.03.2019, 03:57

I'm not really sure if you could consider it malware, but downloading them has a .exe file which installs the file into the extras folder. I'm not sure if it's harmful to computers, but my antivirus picks it up as a threat.

Topic author
Don. Edwards
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #63by Don. Edwards » 04.03.2019, 00:45

Yeah, I saw that, and it makes me wonder what else they might be hiding in there. I mean most virus scanners should pick up anything bd, but they could just have a script that opens your ports and weakens security so they can get in. So I might have to and them to take them down, or change the way they are packaging them. EE files for install is not cool, and anyone using Celestia knows how to install new stuff into the folder structure.
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

SpaceFanatic64
With us: 5 years 10 months

Post #64by SpaceFanatic64 » 04.03.2019, 01:11

I agree with you. Why would they even need an installer? At least include a readme file.

Return to “Textures”