- Ultimate Terraformed Mars MARK VII -

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
Don. Edwards
With us: 21 years 9 months

- Ultimate Terraformed Mars MARK VII -

Post #1by Don. Edwards » 13.07.2010, 05:03

Well I was going to make a post here with an announcement of the completion of the Terraformed Mars texture and upload a bunch of screen caps for everyone to have a look at. But I have found that my shatters.net server account has been totally nuked, gone, nowhere to be found, so I guess I will be making further announcements and information about the project somewhere else.

Don. Edwards

PS.

I just discovered that the account isn't here due to hardware changes on the server, so I will post links here in the future
but will be hosting the files on another server. So I will post the pictures here through a proxy site instead.
Last edited by Don. Edwards on 13.07.2010, 05:35, edited 1 time in total.
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 10 months

Re: - Ultimate Terraformed Mars MARK VII -

Post #2by John Van Vliet » 13.07.2010, 05:09

--- edit ---
Last edited by John Van Vliet on 20.10.2013, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #3by Don. Edwards » 13.07.2010, 06:40

Image-Image

Back in December of 2005 I started this texture project. It has had many incarnations and starts and stops along the way.
I can now say that the project is in its final stages. The main Terraformed Mars texture is finished and locked down. The specmap is finished and locked down. The cloudmap is finished and locked down. The normalmap is nearly finished, I found a few artifacts in the south polar cap that need cleaning. The only thing that isn’t done is the nightsidemap texture. I have just gotten started on it but it should go fairly fast.
So here are a few images to wet the appetite. I am hoping to have everything ready by the end of the month. Juck the picture for the full size image.

Stay tuned, the release should be August 1st.

Don. Edwards
Last edited by Don. Edwards on 13.07.2010, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

Ah, never say never!!

Mynameislol
With us: 14 years 10 months

Post #4by Mynameislol » 13.07.2010, 13:52

Wow! I thought this project died years ago!I'll be looking forward to this!

Reiko
With us: 17 years 8 months

Post #5by Reiko » 13.07.2010, 14:08

That is beautiful! :)

Topic author
Don. Edwards

Post #6by Don. Edwards » 20.11.2010, 05:24

Well folks its been been several months now, and still no return to site normalcy. Meaning Chris has utterly failed to returned all the account folders back to the site after the big hardware fiasco. This and the fact that there has been next to no interest in the release of the Terraformed Mars texture, I have pulled it and have basically stopped doing any planetary texture work. I might release lower resolution 8k texture pack but do not count on it. I have been approached by a few members of the Orbiter team that are interested in some of my textures and getting them converted. So after nearly 8 years I am turning in my Celestia tools and moving on.

I have started working with a group that is making textures of the human body for hyper realistic rendering in 3D applications. I find it much more of a challenge and the need to stay as close to real a nice change.

So it been great working with all of you over the years, those that are still around that is. Those that aren't and do come by in the shadows, and we know you guys are out there, so long. Its been a great ride but lets face the facts, rides do come to an end and you do have to get off for the next person to get on. That's were I am at.

Good bye and good luck!

Don. Edwards

Ah, never say never!!

Guckytos
With us: 20 years 1 month

Post #7by Guckytos » 20.11.2010, 08:09

Don. Edwards wrote:Well folks its been been several months now, and still no return to site normalcy. Meaning Chris has utterly failed to returned all the account folders back to the site after the big hardware fiasco. This and the fact that there has been next to no interest in the release of the Terraformed Mars texture, I have pulled it and have basically stopped doing any planetary texture work. I might release lower resolution 8k texture pack but do not count on it. I have been approached by a few members of the Orbiter team that are interested in some of my textures and getting them converted. So after nearly 8 years I am turning in my Celestia tools and moving on.

I have started working with a group that is making textures of the human body for hyper realistic rendering in 3D applications. I find it much more of a challenge and the need to stay as close to real a nice change.

So it been great working with all of you over the years, those that are still around that is. Those that aren't and do come by in the shadows, and we know you guys are out there, so long. Its been a great ride but lets face the facts, rides do come to an end and you do have to get off for the next person to get on. That's were I am at.

Good bye and good luck!

Don. Edwards

Hi Don,

that are truly bad news for me and for the Celestia community. I am always enjoying your excellent textures. Now I hope that I really have stored all of them in a save place, when they are no longer available.

About the point of no interest in release of your textures, well I can only speak for myself: I am more of the patient side and not urging people to release stuff, espceially when they are working on very time consuming and high resolution stuff.

But I can also understand you that you want to try out something new after all these years and planetary textures. Wish you all the best there and that you truely enjoy the new challenge. Perhaps you could post sometime in the future some links to your new works?

Also have to say it has been great with you working on the textures and systems for all these years. Wish you very much joy and fun with the new challenges.

Regards,

Guckytos

Reiko
With us: 17 years 8 months

Post #8by Reiko » 20.11.2010, 18:31

Mynameislol
With us: 14 years 10 months

Post #9by Mynameislol » 20.11.2010, 20:24

Reiko wrote:Image
I couldn't agree more... :cry:

MiR
With us: 14 years 5 months

Post #10by MiR » 07.12.2010, 18:00

Hi Don,

Don.Edwards wrote: This and the fact that there has been next to no interest in the release of the Terraformed Mars texture

I was new here and didn't click on your topic because I have no issue with Mars terraforming (unstable axis, not enough gravity, and so on...)
So, in this case you're right; it was a lack of interest.
But this means nothing. Not quantity is important, but quality... And here I see a lot of quality. Top work :)

So, thanks for your Celestia activities.
I appreciate your work and wish you Good Luck

Michael

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #11by John Van Vliet » 07.12.2010, 18:16

--- edit ---

Return to “Textures”