going from a circle to a rectangle

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
Fleegle
With us: 22 years 5 months

going from a circle to a rectangle

Post #1by Fleegle » 10.02.2003, 06:31

Some time ago I drew a representation of an alien planet consisting of two circles, showing each side of the planet. I would like to convert this into a texture for use in Celestia but I can't seem to figure out how to take a circle and warp it into a rectangle. Ideally I'd like to take the two circles, warp them both into rectangles, and stitch the two rectangles together.
Does anyone know if there is a relatively easy way to do this (or even a hard way)? I'm using GIMP and I've tried the polar coord tool but it doesn't quite do what I thought it would do.

Anyways, if anyone has any tips on how to do what I'm trying to do, I would surely appreciate the help.

Cheers,
Fleegle

Topic author
Fleegle

corrections

Post #2by Fleegle » 10.02.2003, 06:44

I looked up some terms to clarify my question. Basically I want to go from an orthographic projection to a cylindrical projection (the kind most of the textures for Celestia are available in). For those who speak cartography maybe that will make more sense that my previous phrasing of the question.

Fleegle

Ortolan

Post #3by Ortolan » 10.02.2003, 06:56

Search the forums for 'flexify'. It's a plugin for photoshop that'll do what you need.

Return to “Textures”