Using Earth Textures as Reference

Tips for creating and manipulating planet textures for Celestia.
Topic author
Dracontes
With us: 18 years 7 months

Using Earth Textures as Reference

Post #1by Dracontes » 02.12.2008, 13:08

My searches for an Earth coastline map released in creative commons with attribution I could trust or use without much fumbling has been generally unfruitful so I decided it would be best to do my own map and base my version on the textures of the Earth made available here, namely a "4kEarth.png", an Earth seasons pack (both of which I cannot place) and the earth-topo.jpg by Javier Villalobos. I'd also be interested in using those done by Don Edwards, as unlike the 4k texture mentioned they show the Arctic Ocean icecap.
The tracing work will be done for general cartographic reference for various projects I'm working on which may face publishing. Of course all of this will attributed, probably in the format "All maps based on textures compiled and edited by <name1, name2, etc.> using data released by <name1, name2, etc.>".
Of course that all depends if the the former are willing to let me use their hard work. If not, I'll go elsewhere :)

The results if all falls through are: a biome map, alternate Terran continent configurations, etc. for which I will prepare *.ssc and *.loc files if people are interested. However, I cannot promise I will do any of this in a timely fashion.
Celestia: v1.4.1
Mobo: ASUS P5VDC-X
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.40GHz LGA 755
HD: ST32008AS 186GB 7200rpm SATA
RAM: DDR 1.00GB PC 400
GPU: 2×ATI Radeon 9250 SE 128MB DDR SGRAM/SDRAM
OpenGL: v6.14.10.5819

bh
With us: 21 years 9 months

Re: Using Earth Textures as Reference

Post #2by bh » 04.12.2008, 17:35

I too would like to use some earth textures from Celestia for an up coming cartographic project. I guess as most textures are based on Blue Marble it won't be a problem?
regards...bh.

Return to “Textures”