Steve Jobs OpenGL Hype - fact or fiction?

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
BlindedByTheLight
With us: 19 years 5 months

Steve Jobs OpenGL Hype - fact or fiction?

Post #1by BlindedByTheLight » 22.03.2006, 00:44

Read this today:

<<Mac OS X 10.4.6 is coming along slowly but surely, according to developer sources; one of the chief improvements is a significant overhaul of Tiger's graphics engines in preparation for this summer's gamer-related announcements. Steve Jobs wants to be able to announce that the Mac is the ultimate platform for game players and game developers not only because it's easy to use and easy to develop for -- but because it has the best, most efficient OpenGL 3D graphics implementation anywhere. A substantial performance boost will be a cornerstone of those announcements and 10.4.6 is intended to deliver that boost>>

Just curious... will this announcement, if true, be relevant to Celestia? Dirkpitt, our resident OpenGL godfather...what say you? :)
Steven Binder, Mac OS X 10.4.10

scratt
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #2by scratt » 26.03.2006, 08:23

Judging from the source I can almost certainly say it's not very accurate!
Extreme Sports Cafe - Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take...

dirkpitt
Developer
With us: 19 years 10 months

Post #3by dirkpitt » 24.04.2006, 13:23

I've sort of been out of the loop lately (as you may guess from my month-late reply...) so I don't really know what the deal is.
Truth be told, Apple's OpenGL implementation is getting better feature-wise, but Windows and Linux still lead the pack.
Performance-wise, I don't know. Certain fast paths have recently become available due to recent GL features being supported
in the OS X GL implementation. These new features are greatly accelerated but only on recent video cards. But note: only on recent cards,
meaning fast cards. So is it the card that's making things faster or the software? Who knows... :wink:

Return to “Development”