Some ideas about Celestia structure & users

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
Mutos
With us: 22 years 2 months

Some ideas about Celestia structure & users

Post #1by Mutos » 12.08.2002, 06:02

Hi everybody,

Watching the Celestia forums & particularly the whishes lists, it has ocurred to me that Celestia users seem to fill 3 categories :

- Die-hard scientists, always wanting more decimals in numbers & more models for astrophysical phenomena,

- Planetarium travellers, looking for an easy to use & visually appealling, if not hard-science exact, way of visiting the universe,

- Universes builders, searching for an easy-to-use-&-debug stellar systems dev toolbox.

For myself, I clearly fall in the 3rd category ! But it seems to me that for now Chris has managed to keep a balance btw the 3 poles & that it's one of the reasons for the great success of Celestia : bringing together different needs, different individuals, which enrich one another & thrive on diversity.

So i propose one more hurrah! to Chris for what is already done & a great encouragment for the future ^-^ & I'd like to know what he thinks of my little classification !!!

@+
Benoit 'Mutos' ROBIN
http://spacesims.hoshikaze.net

Miserableman
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #2by Miserableman » 13.08.2002, 12:41

I'm in the fourth category, people who wants to fly big battleships and blow stuff up.

I swear I was born early :O[[

Topic author
Mutos

Post #3by Mutos » 14.08.2002, 05:47

Hi miserableman,

Wooh, an Elite & BC3k fan ? I'm also in that category & dreaming to develop one such game :) ... but, it's only a dream, haven't got the skills nor the skilled people 'round me :( So i stick to the bkg & dream of the game !

Didn't include THAT category 'cause for us star rippers, seems there's another project, an Elite-like derived from Celestia ^-^ Don't remember the name, but seems cool !

@+
Benoit 'Mutos' ROBIN

Axel

User profiles

Post #4by Axel » 14.08.2002, 09:35

LOL!

Well, I would like to add further that some ppl are shifting those groups quite frequently.

I'd really like to fly around, dock to space stations (2001, anyone?), landd on asteroids and I would also like to see tectonic processes shift the Earth over billions of years.
Then I'd like to view a cross section of any planet, not limited to solar ones to get an impression about element distribution from the origins of the individual solar system.

Granted, Celestia has to fulfill a lot of dreams. Some of these are even not combinable.

But I think Chris has done a really extraordinary job in making Celestia as flexible as possible. So everyone can add what he or she likes.

That may be one reason for it's success :D

Take care,
Axel

Topic author
Mutos

Post #5by Mutos » 14.08.2002, 14:15

LOL & reLOL !

I also often shift categories & even invent some sometimes. But it was a small try to understand who are Celestia users ... Interesting, as answers suggest !

Anyway, we all agree on 2 things : versatility & open source are keys to Celestia success & Chris has done a pretty good job :D

@+
Benoit 'Mutos' ROBIN

Return to “Development”