small improvements

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
Puduku
With us: 22 years 3 months

small improvements

Post #1by Puduku » 23.06.2002, 21:57

I got a few suggestions in order to slightly improve celestia.
First of all, the antialiasing of the contour of the planets would make them look a little bit more realistic and the shadow of Saturn on the rings would look better.
Something great would also be to make the orbits smother when getting closer to the objects and avoid them to turn crazy when you look at small objects like the ISS with time set to 100x normal speed.

Axel

small improvements

Post #2by Axel » 24.06.2002, 09:46

Hi,

Puduku wrote:I got a few suggestions in order to slightly improve celestia.
First of all, the antialiasing of the contour of the planets would make them look a little bit more realistic and the shadow of Saturn on the rings would look better.
Antialiasing is currently switched on by your grfx card's driver. Prepare to take a serious performance hit, though.

Something great would also be to make the orbits smother when getting closer to the objects and avoid them to turn crazy when you look at small objects like the ISS with time set to 100x normal speed.

This could only work if the current OpenGL lines would be replaced by a 'line-texture'. These lines would look better by default. If used with antialiasing smoothness could be improved even more.
If the path becomes corrupted by the timefactor, then I'd say it's an system imminent behavior. If you have 100 different paths per second and only 40 or 60 fps garbage has to occur.

CU,
Axel

Return to “Development”