Celestia System Editor

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
MKruer
With us: 22 years

Celestia System Editor

Post #1by MKruer » 06.07.2003, 05:41

Here is the Celestia System Editor that a friend and I have been working on. Unfortunately we never got around to finishing it, and it is unlikely that we will at this point. So I have decided to turn it over to the community and hopefully someone else can finish the work we started. It was programmed in Borland C++ Builder, and last time I checked it could easily be converted into MS C++ 7.0
Here is a quick image to see what was going on.

Download the source at
http://www.linkline.com/personal/mkruer/Borland_Celestia_System_Editor.zip

JackHiggins
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #2by JackHiggins » 06.07.2003, 14:14

Looks good, but in case anyone wants to finish it I have a few suggestions...

1. For the options related to colour, it'd be good if you could pick the colours through a palette, instead of just putting in figures.

2. If you could view a preview of what your atmosphere should look like when it's in celestia that'd be good too.

3. If you weren't sure about what to use for SMA/period etc, the program could work out what it should be, based on it's other orbital elements, mass, the mass of the object it's orbiting etc etc...

I know that sounds like I'm asking a lot, but apart from that it's a good idea...! :D
- Jack Higgins
Jack's Celestia Add-ons
And visit my Celestia Gallery too!

Harpeum
With us: 21 years 3 months

Post #3by Harpeum » 06.07.2003, 15:26

Hello, i had tested your program and it present to me a malfunction. When I tried open the solarsys.(txt or ssc) he show this error message:
Access violation at address 0040154B. Write of address 000000D0.

Thanks.

P.s. Good lucky whith this program. I had imagined this but how I don't undertend noting about codes...

billybob884
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #4by billybob884 » 06.07.2003, 15:38

JackHiggins wrote:1. For the options related to colour, it'd be good if you could pick the colours through a palette, instead of just putting in figures.

2. If you could view a preview of what your atmosphere should look like when it's in celestia that'd be good too.

Rass already made a program that does this. Go to his addon page and download the atmosphere preview generator
Mike M.

TacoTopia!

JackHiggins
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #5by JackHiggins » 06.07.2003, 17:35

billybob884 wrote:
JackHiggins wrote:1. For the options related to colour, it'd be good if you could pick the colours through a palette, instead of just putting in figures.

Rass already made a program that does this. Go to his addon page and download the atmosphere preview generator

Ok... I downloaded it, but when I try to run it I get this error:

Component 'RICHTX32.OCX' or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

So what do I do now?!!
- Jack Higgins

Jack's Celestia Add-ons

And visit my Celestia Gallery too!

Topic author
MKruer

Post #6by MKruer » 06.07.2003, 19:51

Harpeum wrote:Hello, i had tested your program and it present to me a malfunction. When I tried open the solarsys.(txt or ssc) he show this error message:
Access violation at address 0040154B. Write of address 000000D0.

Thanks.

P.s. Good lucky whith this program. I had imagined this but how I don't undertend noting about codes...

Yep, that’s about where I stopped. I was trying to create a dynamic array system so there would be an unlimited number of entries that you could have, but failed miserably. The error you are getting is most likely due to the fact that information’s being pulled into the program, bit it has no where to place it. There were a lot of things that I would have liked to have done, but never had the chance, and that why I turned it over. As for the error, I don’t know what is going on with it.

billybob884
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #7by billybob884 » 07.07.2003, 01:10

JackHiggins wrote:Ok... I downloaded it, but when I try to run it I get this error:

Component 'RICHTX32.OCX' or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

So what do I do now?!!

I have no idea. I don't get that problem.
Mike M.

TacoTopia!

MalcolmP
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #8by MalcolmP » 07.07.2003, 01:53

JackHiggins wrote:Ok... I downloaded it, but when I try to run it I get this error:
Yep, me too !
So what do I do now?!!
Do a search on your HD to see if you have the file already and reinstall(re-register) it and/or do a Google ?!
It looks like it is a VisualBasic thingie that Ras. should include with his distro. Look here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... chEdit.asp where it says,amongst other things, "When distributing your application, install the Richtx32.ocx file in the user's Microsoft Windows SYSTEM directory. "

Hmmm, but being of a nervous disposition and believing that my system aint broke enough ,,, :) ,,, I think I'll wait for Ras. to enlighten us !!

Edit, later,,
It is included in his Globular Cluster Generator Installer "cluster.zip", so I am guessing that if we installed that one it would do the biz for the atmosphere thing as well ( only a guess cos I have downloaded the Cluster Installer but only looked inside it, not installed it yet, 3.30am local-I ought to be in bed!).

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #9by Rassilon » 09.07.2003, 02:05

To fix the atmosphere guage problem...download and install the globular cluster generator...

At some point I suppose I should code a better atmosphere guage...someday I might take up the editor project...but time isnt a luxury at this time...

Mkruer, you should look at using memory buffers for your arrays...defining pointers are far superior to using plain arrays...if that is the case...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Mikeydude750
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #10by Mikeydude750 » 09.07.2003, 02:52

Wow...this is what I've been thinking would be really great for months now...glad to see someone could do it(I would do it, but alas, I am not even beginning to compare with you guys in programming skills).

MalcolmP

Post #11by MalcolmP » 09.07.2003, 19:27

We said
I said
It looks like it is a VisualBasic thingie ,,, Look here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... chEdit.asp where it says,amongst other things, "When distributing your application, install the Richtx32.ocx file in the user's Microsoft Windows SYSTEM directory. "
Then I said
I think I'll wait for Ras. to enlighten us !!
and
It is included in his Globular Cluster Generator Installer "cluster.zip", so I am guessing that if we installed that one it would do the biz for the atmosphere thing as well
So it does does it ? Because Rassilon then said
Rassilon wrote:To fix the atmosphere guage problem...download and install the globular cluster generator...

duh,, whats this 'guage problem' thing ? are we still talking about 'RICHTX32.OCX' ?
I know f^&*-all about this Micro$oft VB stuff, what are the implications to my registry/system if I do do it and how do I undo it if that should be necessary?

Ie. do I really really wanna do this ? :-)

abiogenesis
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #12by abiogenesis » 09.07.2003, 20:09

RichText is just a markup language, like html (but uglier), to provide more formating for text. The RICHTX32.OCX file contains all the code needed for windows to use the Rich Text ActiveX control. It's harmless. You could probably find the file for download from Microsoft even. I thought it was included with Windows, but Rassilon must be using a newer version.

- a b i o g e n e s i s -

MalcolmP

Post #13by MalcolmP » 09.07.2003, 21:50

The RICHTX32.OCX file contains all the code needed for windows to use the Rich Text ActiveX control. It's harmless
Thanks for the info. a b i o g e n e s i s, you motivated me to dig a bit deeper and I have found that the RICHTX32.OCX exists inside the .CAB which is inside the .ZIP that Rassilon provides for his cluster thing, So,,,
Jack :-Pull the .ocx out of the cab and place it in the same directory as atmosphere.exe. Then atmosphere runs without that error,, sans install !

Nice wee program Rassilon, thanks.

Topic author
MKruer

Re: Celestia System Editor

Post #14by MKruer » 09.07.2003, 23:55

Rassilon

MKruer wrote:Here is the Celestia System Editor that a friend and I have been working on. Unfortunately we never got around to finishing it, and it is unlikely that we will at this point. So I have decided to turn it over to the community and hopefully someone else can finish the work we started. It was programmed in Borland C++ Builder, and last time I checked it could easily be converted into MS C++ 7.0

brunetto_64
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #15by brunetto_64 » 15.07.2003, 10:21

I've tried the program but don't work...
error: acces violation at address 0040154B. Read of Address FFFFFFFF..
and don't see the ssc files but only txt files...
I'Ve tried to put it in the generator 1.3 directory with the ocx file but dont work :oops: :oops:
Bruno

Return to “Development”