List of active Celestia Windows developers

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
john71
With us: 7 years 8 months

Post #21by john71 » 31.12.2022, 11:44

Markerz wrote:which means the need for windows dev is not that strong (other than testing).

I think most Windows users fear that

1.) there will not be at all a Celestia 1.7 Windows version

2.) some useful functions, like video capture will be missing

3.) the Windows version will be somehow slow and will have some kind of strange latency.

Markerz
Developer
With us: 15 years 3 months

Post #22by Markerz » 31.12.2022, 11:58

john71 wrote:2.) some useful functions, like video capture will be missing
If there are new features and requires complicated UI, I don't think they'll come to win32 frontend. besides I've been wondering why video capture is a big ask, I never added this ability to macOS version of it even though adding is not too hard. macOS has screen recording feature (you can also specify the area for recording) built in, and bundling video capture in celestia will only make the app size grow quite a bit (ffmpeg is a heavy dependency) and I suppose it should be easy to find similar programs on windows.

john71 wrote:3.) the Windows version will be somehow slow and will have some kind of strange latency.
if we are only adding new features, there will just be UI changes, not messing around with the rendering code, then there should not be performance issue related to rendering.

Topic author
john71

Post #23by john71 » 31.12.2022, 12:25

Markerz wrote:I don't think they'll come to win32 frontend

I don't think that any 32 bit Windows OS has a future, so it is a non-issue in my opinion.

Also "Desktop" Celestia is practically useless in 32 bit, because you can't use large textures and models.

Markerz wrote:I suppose it should be easy to find similar programs on windows.

What about the dropping of frames?

The "inside" solution is better for video recording, because Celestia slows down when recording in order to not to lose any frames.

If frame dropping is not an issue, then it is OK to have an outside solution.

Markerz
Developer

Post #24by Markerz » 31.12.2022, 12:48

john71 wrote:I don't think that any 32 bit Windows OS has a future, so it is a non-issue in my opinion.
win32 is a name of the UI toolkit. it's not tied to 32bit (Microsoft kept the name when they develop for 64bit). the non-qt version you run on windows 64bit is based on win32.

john71 wrote:The "inside" solution is better for video recording, because Celestia slows down when recording in order to not to lose any frames.
video capturing inside celestia has performance penalty as well. the system level video capturing could be more performant.

Topic author
john71

Post #25by john71 » 31.12.2022, 15:25

Markerz wrote:win32 is a name of the UI toolkit.

Thank you, I had no idea. :biggrin:

Some basic reading material for anyone who is interested, but has no clue, like me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_UI_Library

Art Blos M
With us: 6 years 8 months

Post #26by Art Blos » 01.01.2023, 08:50

john71 wrote:Also "Desktop" Celestia is practically useless in 32 bit, because you can't use large textures and models.
Celestia is useful not only for beautiful views. So I strongly disagree.
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

Topic author
john71

Post #27by john71 » 01.01.2023, 10:48

Markerz wrote:If there are new features and requires complicated UI, I don't think they'll come to win32 frontend.

That is where your development and the Windows community development should sadly part ways, it seems.

To have a dumb down Windows UI is completely useless and it is worse than having nothing at all.

If Windows users are missing out on a lot of features then we should solve it by ourselves.

Art Blos wrote:Celestia is useful not only for beautiful views. So I strongly disagree.

Then we have to develop our own Windows UI.

Added after 9 minutes 46 seconds:
Dear Selden, Cartrite, Janus and everybody else!

Is it possible that we can maintain and develop a Windows UI?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/walkthrough-creating-windows-desktop-applications-cpp?view=msvc-170
Last edited by john71 on 01.01.2023, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

Markerz
Developer

Post #28by Markerz » 01.01.2023, 13:11

john71 wrote:Is it possible that we can maintain and develop a Windows UI?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/wal ... applications-cpp?view=msvc-170

this link is basically about how to write an app with plain win32 calls, and is what the current version of celestia uses (which I've said is increasingly hard to maintain now). if you want a new UI, you need to decide on which UI toolkit to use, we need devs that have expertise in developing UI (or those who are willing to spend significant time learning building UI, not just any developer).

Topic author
john71

Post #29by john71 » 01.01.2023, 13:46

Markerz wrote:we need devs that have expertise in developing UI (or those who are willing to spend significant time learning building UI, not just any developer)

OK, it is getting clearer who we should find.

Is this link relevant?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/winui/

TheLostProbe
With us: 4 years

Post #30by TheLostProbe » 01.01.2023, 14:03

Markerz wrote:and I suppose it should be easy to find similar programs on windows
yes, OBS exists, its free and easy to use while still having lots of functionality
Markerz wrote:If there are new features and requires complicated UI, I don't think they'll come to win32 frontend
i agree on this. win32 is old and is missing tons of features compared to other frontends like Qt, and microsoft doesnt seem to have much interest in developing win32 to be more advanced
john71 wrote:What about the dropping of frames?
it does occur on lower-end and/or older hardware. but screen recording in general requires a fairly decent computer regardless, especially at higher resolutions and framerates
john71 wrote:Is this link relevant?
that link appears to talk about winUI which does not work with openGL even through the use of small hacks like using ANGLE, as previously stated in this thread
"Carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where the dimensions intersect... impossible to describe with our limited vocabulary."
- Dr. Wallace Breen

Topic author
john71

Post #31by john71 » 01.01.2023, 14:42

TheLostProbe wrote:i agree on this. win32 is old and is missing tons of features compared to other frontends like Qt, and microsoft doesnt seem to have much interest in developing win32 to be more advanced

OK, now I don't get it. Will Markerz develop a Qt UI for Windows?

TheLostProbe wrote:that link appears to talk about winUI which does not work with openGL even through the use of small hacks like using ANGLE, as previously stated in this thread

Can you learn to build a UI for Windows? :think:

TheLostProbe

Post #32by TheLostProbe » 01.01.2023, 15:51

john71 wrote:OK, now I don't get it. Will Markerz develop a Qt UI for Windows?
i dont know what lev is doing regarding Qt frontend development. as far as i know he prefers to stick to just mac and mobile development
john71 wrote:Can you learn to build a UI for Windows? :think:
yes. can i do it now? no. can i do it quickly enough for 1.7's release? probably not. the only thing im good for at the moment is bug reports and fancy concept images. i can design a nice looking frontend in GIMP but i cant make it come to life
"Carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where the dimensions intersect... impossible to describe with our limited vocabulary."
- Dr. Wallace Breen

Topic author
john71

Post #33by john71 » 01.01.2023, 19:19

TheLostProbe wrote:i dont know what lev is doing regarding Qt frontend development.

Who is developing the QT frontend?

:think:

TheLostProbe

Post #34by TheLostProbe » 02.01.2023, 02:31

only hleb is developing the Qt frontend at the moment. unless my memory is foggy and tribick has already done some stuff with the Qt frontend since re-joining the dev team
- Dr. Wallace Breen

Topic author
john71

Post #35by john71 » 02.01.2023, 08:41

John Van Vliet wrote:unlike selden i like QT but i am Linux ONLY i have ZERO interest in Microsoft

But can you help with the Qt frontend?

Markerz
Developer

Post #36by Markerz » 02.01.2023, 11:42

john71 wrote:Will Markerz develop a Qt UI for Windows?
why? we already have that

john71 wrote:But can you help with the Qt frontend?
what you are asking just does not make sense here. you've been saying that we need a dev, we need a qt dev, nothing specific. what do we need to solve here?

Topic author
john71

Post #37by john71 » 02.01.2023, 11:51

Markerz wrote:what you are asking just does not make sense here.

OK. I know it is obvious for you, but it isn't obvious for a casual Celestia user.

1.) There is a win32 frontend for Windows, which will not be developed further.

2.) There is a Qt frontend for Windows, which works under 32 and 64 bit Windows.

Does the Qt frontend need any further developing?

So Celestia 1.7 under Windows will use the Qt frontend?

Then what are we talking about, when Onetwothree says he won't develop Celestia for Windows anymore?

Markerz
Developer

Post #38by Markerz » 02.01.2023, 14:43

QT is cross platform (macOS, Windows, Linux) and any feature coming to QT, comes to all platforms. I believe onetwothree only meant that he won't be testing on windows or won't be tackling with very windows specific bug. With QT there are not many of them.

john71 wrote:Does the Qt frontend need any further developing?

So Celestia 1.7 under Windows will use the Qt frontend?

since it is the main frontend for now, yes it needs developing (by whom do not have to be windows developers).

No decision has been made as to what frontend official Celestia 1.7.0 will be used. But I assume both Win32 and QT will be available if Win32 is not lagging too much behind or has significant issues.

Art Blos M
With us: 6 years 8 months

Post #39by Art Blos » 02.01.2023, 15:00

Markerz wrote:No decision has been made as to what frontend official Celestia 1.7.0 will be used. But I assume both Win32 and QT will be available if Win32 is not lagging too much behind or has significant issues.
QT continues to be slower under same load. If the situation does not improve, for now it is necessary to leave the native interface as the main.
Founder and head of the project "Celestia Origin"

Return to “Development”