Alcyone (Pleiades) system 4 planets

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
Rassilon
With us: 22 years 4 months

Alcyone (Pleiades) system 4 planets

Post #1by Rassilon » 31.01.2002, 09:37

Furthest recorded planet from its sun...0.9 ly distant...

http://cybermindtraveller.freewebspace.com/pics/Jax.jpg

As you can see I decided to use the bumpy planet for something else...and I must say it looks far better!

http://cybermindtraveller.freewebspace.com/pics/jax2.jpg

And Kur looks like this now...

http://cybermindtraveller.freewebspace.com/pics/kur2.jpg

More to come...
Last edited by Rassilon on 31.01.2002, 19:24, edited 2 times in total.
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

chris
Site Admin

Post #2by chris » 31.01.2002, 15:17

Jax and Kur look great . . . which textures are you using on them?

Also, it looks like there might be a bug with surface temperature calculation--the temperature on the surface of Jax is -1K!

--Chris

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #3by Rassilon » 31.01.2002, 19:05

Jax uses a modified ganymede texture...Kur is using a custom of mine...

Yeah I guess there is no lower than absolute zero, just a glitch...Maybe where it computes the temp...put it through a filter..

if temp < 0 temp = 0
-or-
case < 0
temp = 0

or something....
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #4by Rassilon » 01.02.2002, 09:51

Also I had the Albedo at 5.12!!! I guess you use that to measure the amount of frozen product on a planet in a sense along with illumination?

Anyway I lowered it to 0.12 and the Kelvin raised to 6...burr still cold :D

chris
Site Admin

Post #5by chris » 05.02.2002, 00:55

Also I had the Albedo at 5.12!!! I guess you use that to measure the amount of frozen product on a planet in a sense along with illumination?

Ah . . . that explains it! The albedo should always be between 0 and 1. A perfectly absorbing planet has an albedo of 0 and a perfectly reflecting planet has an albedo of 1. The Earth's albedo is about 0.3, which means that it reflects 30% of the light it receives from the Sun, though this will vary someone depending on the current degree of cloud cover. Venus's global cloud system is a good reflector, so Venus has rather high albedo of 0.77. The most reflective body in the solar system is Saturn's moon Enceladus. Its clean icy surface reflects 99 percent of incident light. A planet with a high albedo will reflect light that would otherwise be absorbed and heat its surface; therefore, raising the albedo of a planet will lower its surface temperature.

--Chris

Return to “Development”