Star Trek spacecraft now available

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Star Trek spacecraft now available

Post #1by fsgregs » 13.03.2003, 23:18

Hi everyone.

My website is now available. On it, I've just placed a set of four spacecraft from the StarTrek series. They are good and will display well in Celestia. They are present in two zips. Download both zips into the Celestia root directory and they should install into the proper folders. If not, read the enclosed readme file and it will tell you what to do.

There are four spacecraft:

StarTrek Voyager - the federation starship used in the series.
Deep Space Nine Space Station
Federation Relay station
Klingon Bird of Prey

They join the Borg Cube zip, which is already on the website.

The Enterprize is not yet there because the existing meshes that I've found don't display in Celestia. I don't know why. Maybe someone can edit them to do so.

I've placed three of the spacecraft around Vega, joining the Borg Cube already in orbit there.

I've placed Deep Space Nine station in orbit around Saturn. It looks neat there. You can move it by simply editing the ssc file to change locations.

My webite is at

Frankhttp://www.fsgregs.org/celestia

Enjoy.

:D

Frank

k77_99
With us: 21 years 7 months

Post #2by k77_99 » 14.03.2003, 03:12

Frank -

i tried to download your Star Trek spacecraft but your website reports :

'the parameter is incorrect'

for each link clicked.

regards,
Kevin Nolan
Kevin Nolan
Email: k77_99@yahoo.com

Topic author
fsgregs

Post #3by fsgregs » 14.03.2003, 05:18

Dear Kevin:

I don't know what the problem might be. I checked the links on the site after your message and they work fine. Each one downloads fine and opens. The graphics files have to be copied with a right-click that saves target as, but the zip files download on a single click. I've had several others already download them with no problems. All I can say is try again.

Sorry

Frank :?

Borg Collective
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #4by Borg Collective » 14.03.2003, 15:45

All works for us...
Fsgregs, try to dig our old Homeworld thread...
Could you help us make a system we proposed there?
We could supply you with the models if you could make the proper SSC files...
What am I doing? Ah, nothing much. Just laying on my bed, watching the stars, and sky, and keep asking myself: 'Where the Hell is my Roof?'.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #5by t00fri » 14.03.2003, 19:30

fsgregs wrote:Dear Kevin:

I don't know what the problem might be. I checked the links on the site after your message and they work fine. Each one downloads fine and opens. The graphics files have to be copied with a right-click that saves target as, but the zip files download on a single click. I've had several others already download them with no problems. All I can say is try again.

Sorry

Frank :?

Frank:

Things don't work for me either under Netscape 4.8. I had a look at your html source code and noticed that you did not use /full/ URL addresses for your files. Why???

This may or may not work...
Incidentally, your font size on your WEB page appears /tiny/ under 1600x1200 dpi resolution.

You should always insert the full path into

<a href = "http://....">

I was trying to look at your user guide...

Bye Fridger

MalcolmP
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #6by MalcolmP » 14.03.2003, 21:46

t00fri wrote:You should always insert the full path into
<a href = "http://....">
No, that is not necessary. A local (on the server) directory/folder structure can be navigated from the originating web page. It is quite common.
In fact a down-side of including a full http: web link is that if a visitor downloads a copy of the (Frank's) web pages to his local drive he would not then be able to browse them locally, because all the links would point to the web and his machine would try to connect each time (local cache notwithsanding, it can expire !)

I am not expert in the ways of Netscape but in this case I would suspect that the spaces in the filenames may be the problem ? Especially as the simple links (jpgs) are working OK with the same local addressing.
It is usual practice to use an underscore in place of a space, or to simply SqueezeItUpLikeThis

The links are working OK in InternetExplorer 5.50
(but not in Netscape 4.7 either)
HTH

Post #7by Guest » 14.03.2003, 22:13

Hi folks:

OK, I confess I'm lost. I think what your posts are saying is that the link posted on my website does not respond when certain versions of Netscape try to open/download it. The webpage was put together for me by a friend (its his server) and I have no idea what the link addresses actually are that he used.

I will e-mail him now and ask him to close the spaces in the addresses (no blanks), and place the full html path as the link address. Please give him a day or so to make the changes and try again.

Fridger, as to the Users Manual, I just got Chris's last edit of Part 1 and will be posting it either on my own website, or Chris will post it on the Celestia site. It has undergone additional rewrites to incorporate the changes in 1.3.0. The document I currently have on my website is out of date and will be replaced in a day or so, so please wait until Sunday or so to download the latest version. :)

MalcolmP
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #8by MalcolmP » 14.03.2003, 22:27

There does seem to be a problem with Netscape handling your page.
Also the OffByOne browser is having trouble as well.

Before you email your friend, it may be advisable to see if anyone else can confirm that it is a problem with the spaces ( this is only my _guess_ )

and as I said, I am not an expert with Netscape. I usually use InternetExplorer.

_IF_ this is the case _THEN_ after he rewrites your webpage you would need to rename the actual files themselves with the new ( closed up) names.

are you still with me ? :)

It should not be necessary to include the full HTTP: path but in this case it will do no harm.

Topic author
fsgregs

Post #9by fsgregs » 16.03.2003, 01:50

OK, my webmaster friend has fixed the links. Try downloading them now. Let me know if you are still having trouble.

Frank 8O

Return to “Development”