New Celestia unified runtime database

The place to discuss creating, porting and modifying Celestia's source code.
Topic author
pirogronian
Developer
With us: 6 years 4 months

Post #141by pirogronian » 10.09.2019, 11:54

Actually I'm not waiting for 1.7 nor any other release, just waiting for my life energy to return :hi:
Still formally developer, but too tired to develop. I feel sad, but Celestia is going forward despite it.
Btw, the universe is ruled by electricity.

Lafuente_Astronomy
With us: 5 years 9 months

Post #142by Lafuente_Astronomy » 10.09.2019, 12:23

pirogronian wrote:Actually I'm not waiting for 1.7 nor any other release, just waiting for my life energy to return

Ahhh. Wanna have an energy drink?
Official Administrator of the Celestia Discord Server.
Invite: https://discordapp.com/invite/WEWDcJh
If you don't have a Discord account, register here: https://discordapp.com/register
Have a blessed day.

fyr02
With us: 5 years

Post #143by fyr02 » 10.09.2019, 14:48

nice one.

Topic author
pirogronian
Developer

Post #144by pirogronian » 10.09.2019, 15:17

Lafuente_Astronomy wrote:Ahhh. Wanna have an energy drink?
I'd prefer a new liver, pancreas and spleen. Maybe something more. Time will came, we will see. :wink:

fyr02 wrote:nice one.
What exactly?
Still formally developer, but too tired to develop. I feel sad, but Celestia is going forward despite it.

fyr02
With us: 5 years

Post #145by fyr02 » 10.09.2019, 21:55

Smooth transition by Lafuente_Astro.
I'd prefer a new liver, pancreas and spleen. Maybe something more. Time will came, we will see.
Ahhh, the nice scent of surgical tools that comes when you realize that you've been working on this stupid space simulator for too long.

In all seriousness, you should probably release whatever you have for 1.7 as "1.7.0-pre1" or something

Lafuente_Astronomy

Post #146by Lafuente_Astronomy » 10.09.2019, 23:03

Actually, it's ok if you take your time or your energy in making AstroDB. I'm just interested in the prospects that such a database would bring to Celestia as a whole. And the prospects are huge
If you don't have a Discord account, register here: https://discordapp.com/register
Have a blessed day.

barrysingh101
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #147by barrysingh101 » 23.09.2019, 18:54

As Celestia have now ability to import new data, provided by user, there is a queston about translating such a data (for example - celestial object names, user defined category names etc). Current approach is usage of gettext, as for every other translatable string. But users providing new string are unable (without messing with system files) to provide translation for it. I see to solutions (not secessarily exclusive):

Allow users to bind own text domains and use dgettext when translating particular string.
Allow users to provide translations directly.
In both cases there would be a new class, incorporating string and translation method: domain name or array with translations.
Last edited by barrysingh101 on 10.10.2019, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
pirogronian
Developer

Post #148by pirogronian » 23.09.2019, 19:47

To be precise, this mechanism isnt a part of official Celestia yet.
As I can remember (I stalled my work a bit), domain is automatically set to directory of processed data file.

Lafuente_Astronomy

Post #149by Lafuente_Astronomy » 24.09.2019, 13:27

barrysingh101 wrote:As Celestia have now ability to import new data, provided by user, there is a queston about translating such a data (for example - celestial object names, user defined category names etc). Current approach is usage of gettext, as for every other translatable string. But users providing new string are unable (without messing with system files) to provide translation for it. I see to solutions (not secessarily exclusive):

Allow users to bind own text domains and use dgettext when translating particular string.
Allow users to provide translations directly.
In both cases there would be a new class, incorporating string and translation method: domain name or array with translations.

Could you clarify to me what these things are?
Have a blessed day.

onetwothree
Site Admin
With us: 5 years 7 months

Post #150by onetwothree » 27.09.2019, 14:33

barrysingh101 wrote:Allow users to bind own text domains and use dgettext when translating particular string.

That's what being implemented. Afair it's implemented for categories already.

Topic author
pirogronian
Developer

Post #151by pirogronian » 30.09.2019, 10:01

Changelog update:
* Added Lua interface for names manipulation. It means user is now able to add and remove names of objects from Lua. Names local tova planetary system aren't supported yet.
* ...and somw bugfixes related to it.
* I started new branch as a merge proxy between master and AstroDb. It's still local, but you may notice recent commits in astrodb focused on avoiding name conflicts. It's my another try to merge it with possibly painless way. Perhaps many other changes could be done yet, but it become extremly difficult to maintain such a big branch separately. I'm only praying to God for @onetwothree acceptance, when it will become soon a pull request... :wink:

Lafuente_Astronomy

Post #152by Lafuente_Astronomy » 30.09.2019, 15:35

pirogronian wrote:Changelog update:
* Added Lua interface for names manipulation. It means user is now able to add and remove names of objects from Lua. Names local tova planetary system aren't supported yet.
* ...and somw bugfixes related to it.
* I started new branch as a merge proxy between master and AstroDb. It's still local, but you may notice recent commits in astrodb focused on avoiding name conflicts. It's my another try to merge it with possibly painless way. Perhaps many other changes could be done yet, but it become extremly difficult to maintain such a big branch separately. I'm only praying to God for @onetwothree acceptance, when it will become soon a pull request... :wink:

Amen to that, brother! I mean, the updates do look good in all parts. So, does that mean I can add any names to objects other than stars? Because so far, I can only add names to stars through the starnames.dat file. Also, do you mind sharing the link to the AstroDB's github here?
Have a blessed day.

Topic author
pirogronian
Developer

Post #153by pirogronian » 30.09.2019, 16:25

Lafuente_Astronomy wrote:So, does that mean I can add any names to objects other than stars? Because so far, I can only add names to stars through the starnames.dat. Also, do you mind sharing the link to the AstroDB's github here?

Yes, You can add any name to any object: DSO, body, even Location. All

object:addname(string canonical, string nls-domain, bool greek) : bool
or
object:addalias(string canonical, string nls-domain, bool greek) : bool

Second argument is a local directory name, where gettext translations are placed. Default is null.
Third argument is flag whenever to replace greek abbreviations by ordinary greek letters. Default is true.
Difference between functions is the first one place added name as "primary" one, returned by getName method.
Both methods returns true on success, false otherwise.

To remove name, call
object:removename(string canonical/nameobject name, bool greek) : bool

First parameter is canonical name string or "name object" (see below).

To list all objects' names (but not catalog numbers):
object:getnames() : table

This method return table of name objects. Name objects is new type, representing name, its translation and context. Methods:
name:getcanonical() - get canonical name
name:getlocalized() - get translated name
name:getobject() - get object name belongs to.

For anyone who wants to test - AstroDB branch is where it was from beginning, and here is a link: https://github.com/CelestiaProject/Celestia/tree/astrodb

Lafuente_Astronomy

Post #154by Lafuente_Astronomy » 01.10.2019, 13:01

Those sound quiet complicated. But I'll try them nontheless. Thanks a lot
Have a blessed day.

Topic author
pirogronian
Developer

Post #155by pirogronian » 07.12.2019, 13:21

Bad news. Due to health problems, I have to withdraw from active developement (and modering). All code from AstroDb branch is free to use (as always). Best wishes for everyone.

onetwothree
Site Admin
With us: 5 years 7 months

Post #156by onetwothree » 07.12.2019, 19:35

Omg! It's a pity to hear that you have so serious problems. My best wishes and I hope everything will be fine with you!

Janus
With us: 7 years 8 months

Post #157by Janus » 07.12.2019, 19:39

@pirogronian

Best wishes, I hope all goes well for you.

Janus.

Topic author
pirogronian
Developer

Post #158by pirogronian » 07.12.2019, 20:51

Oh, maybe it's wrong statement. Perhaps I should to write "personal problems" or so, because while my health is heavely involved, I'm surely not going to die... Just not have enough "resources" anymore to participate in the project. And let's say it - I didnt add much to the project. Importance of my biggest effort (astrodb) is questionable for me - maybe I was too ambitious. Meanwhile I see that Celestia's developement is going forward and in good direction and it's fine and most important.

Anthony_B_Russo10
With us: 5 years 10 months

Post #159by Anthony_B_Russo10 » 07.12.2019, 21:39

Hopefully you can keep some kind of involvement in this project.
Anthony B. Russo, I like Pluto. Mod of the Celestia subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Celestiasoftware/
I have over 40 computers, trying to list them here would be a pain.
Responsible for the NEO catalog: https://celestia.space/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22203
And mod of the Discord server.

Markerz
Developer
With us: 15 years 3 months

Post #160by Markerz » 08.12.2019, 08:15

I hope whatever you have going on will go well, you had surely contributed a lot to keep it going.

unfortunately, I currently am also quite occupied, with my job and job hunting, otherwise I can see what I can do with your existing work from now on.

Return to “Development”